tooler82

Blowup a Map

So my Colonel just notified me he expects me to take a 3'x3' map and blow it up and piece it together to be 20'x20'. My question is how do people do this? I guess scan them and put them together, but when I blow it up, won't it be distorted? Just wondering how professionals accomplish this magnificant feat!

Professionals digitize the map into a vector format so it is crisp (did GIS for 3 years). Now with the military you should be able to get your hands on the original digital file

• Like 1

You could use a program called Photozoom pro 6 .it takes the image and resizes while keeping the pixels together, i use it alot in my photography and then save as you u need it...it works pretty good depending on the image of course.if you  want send me the image and ill see how it turns out and if it works ill send the file to you . no charge lol. www.pippinphotography.com go check out my pics..

Pardon me for asking but where can you even fit a 20' square map? Is this going to be on the floor or something? That's just crazy talk. LOL

• Like 1

It's classified. If he tells you he'd have to kill you.  :ph34r:

• Like 7

It's classified. If he tells you he'd have to kill you.  :ph34r:

Haha. In the military we don't ask questions for that reason. I have no idea where he wants this 20' x 20' map. Maybe him and his buddies are big into the whole War game and he wants the largest table known to man haha.

• Like 2

Tell the colonel you need a 48 inch HD drum scanner, Tile it into five, 48 inch x 20 foot prints, done.

Hey Primal, just went to your photography site. First photo came up was the Fight Like A Girl decal. Hate to tell ya, yep they have copyrighted it. Ask me, how I would know such?

• Like 1

Hey Primal, just went to your photography site. First photo came up was the Fight Like A Girl decal. Hate to tell ya, yep they have copyrighted it. Ask me, how I would know such?

i didnt make it , the customer bought it and i put it on..i get alot of decals that people buy from amazon etc and have me put them on...im very careful about that lol.. If you goto my Decal page i have it stated i do install customer supplied decals, i just wont warranty the material etc.

OK. Don't know how that would work with the copyright cops, and your website, but it works for me. Carry on.

• Like 1

lol. i dont care where they said they got it, All i know is there is nothing wrong with anyone charging money for putting on a decal for someone else..thats why i made sure its stated on my website that i install customer supplied decals as well.its out of my hands  when they bring me something i didnt make. money is money, even if its only 5.00 to install for a coupe seconds, im good with that.just like if someone bought a chevy logo decal from a dealership and they didnt want to risk screwing it up. so why not pay someone else to do it and take the gamble off themselves . lol

Ok so they sent me a PDF file of the map after I talked them into buying Photozoom 6. When I import the PDF into Flexisign and export it as a JPG to put it in Photozoom, it loses all details.

Does the pdf retain any vector elements.  If there is vector in there, you wouldn't need photozoom.  Illustrator, Draw maybe even Indesign or Inkscape could scale it.  Probably Flexi for that matter. Though in Illustrator I think around 19' is the max artboard.  You can work around that if you scale the output.  Not sure about Indesign.  Draw can work 150 feet.  Inkscape has a 3280839 foot limit, which is nuts.  I have never tried that to see if it explodes.

There is a vector over it they made for like an in-lay. The map itself is a bitmap though. I tried copying in flexisign to paste it in paint and save it as a JPG, but while copying it keeps giving me an error that it's out of memory.

Here's a picture of what the picture looks like in Flexi, then what the export to JPG looks like. Totally horrible.

post-80805-0-38627500-1431443493_thumb.j

post-80805-0-23027900-1431443502_thumb.j

try exporting as a bitmap, png, or other non compressing file type. JPG is really a horrible file type for preserving detail.

Well I got him in here and zoomed in and showed him how distorted it was. He decided instead of 1 big map for all the sections, he wanted 4 of them for 4 sections to use.

• Like 1