Sign in to follow this  
Austin_B

Laspoint II or SC Series Cutter?

Hello,

I'm new to cutting vinyl and looking to purchase a cutter this week. I have a budget of around $500 and it looks like the Laserpoint II or the SC Series are the ones. I have heard both good and bad about both cutters.

I hear that getting a Keyspan for the SC helps fix most if not all the problems people seem to have along with it also being grounded to eliminate static. I'm told the Laserpoint II is a better cutter but still find that it has its problems too.

Any information or experience with these cutters is welcome!

-Austin

(I typed up this post and it deleted when I pushed 'Post New Topic' so its now short and sweet)

I have the Laserpointer II and have yet to have any issues. However, I do not have a stand and I wish it was a 32" instead of a 24" (future purchase I guess). Other than that, I haven't had any noticeable issues. Currently using it with USB as well (Keyspan got lost in a move and too broke to buy another). Im sure others will have more promising suggestions since I haven't used mine for very long and am still trying to learn stuff with mine.

Best of luck!

I just loaned my lp2 to a shirt shop and had to get a key span to get it right. Mine is the 31.5 and I wish it were the 24 and the people using it are in a mall kiosk and I promise they wish it was a 24 as well.

I see some Laserpoint II's need a keyspan and some do not. Why is that? Also where would be the best place to get one and price?

jaybird- why do you wish you had to 24 instead of the 31?

LPII.

Get the media basket, too.

jaybird's answer contained the reason why the 24" instead of the 31" --- limited size for the larger unit within a mall kiosk.

Also I can count on 1 hand the number of times in the last 8 years that a had to use a cutter that large to avoid tiling. Just not worth the space it takes up to me and I have plenty of space (6600 sf). I do have a q75 (30") cutter but that's a whole other story and I got it used when my main machine died last year.

Well I bought the Laserpoint II and Keyspan....hoping all goes smooth and I can start cutting vinyl right away!!

You will probably hear from me on here some more.

• Like 1