My wife came home today and a truck stopped by the house, and a guy gave her this paper and said he has a 4x8 sign and he wants this stuff put onto it. I gotta call him and get more details.

But lets say he wants it all one color..and 4'x8' (48"x96")...how much would be a good starting price??

20150504_213855_zpsboz228xp.jpg

This is gonna sound harsh but, You wanna open a store and you can't price this sign?

• Like 2

Just to reproduce that graphic, I would be at $200. for my time to screw around with it.

The 4x8 MaxMetal board (6mm thick) costs about $75 (GRIMCO) --  I'll triple my material costs on substrates.

RTA Vinyl will come out to approx. $75 (L+W/2) and another $75 to apply it.

That brings me to $575.

Who is going to install it?

The Civil engineer that drew it should have the electronic copy- the owner should provide- and you will probably have to convert to .eps-- I imagine in will probably be a cad file...  Or you can scan and trace the lots manually.

He will certainly want the lake front dimensions for sure, and lot sizes-- the other coordinates will not be as important for a sign.

The Civil engineer that drew it should have the electronic copy- the owner should provide- and you will probably have to convert to .eps-- I imagine in will probably be a cad file...  Or you can scan and trace the lots manually.

He will certainly want the lake front dimensions for sure, and lot sizes-- the other coordinates will not be as important for a sign.

if it was done in autocad then it would be easy to convert the file - but if they are more advanced and did it in arcgis than it would be easier to redraw than try to convert it.   I am sure after the area is developed the county would have it in a GIS format but not in the initial stages like this

I have done those types of signs before.  What you want to do is print that part on outdoor suitable vinyl in a solvent ink based printer, laminate it and stick it to it.  Do any other text he wants in vinyl, but the graphic and text around it should be printed.  As stated above, a clean digital copy can be gotten, so it shouldn't be problem to print clean.  Also, you can get a lot more than $500 bucks if you install the sign on sight for him.   For instance, you can set the posts in concrete and install the sign in a vinyl sign post system and even light it up.  Don't waste your time digitizing, converting, cutting, weeding, taping, etc.  Just not necessary and it won't be appreciated because it isn't what the customer really requires.  Put your time into something that the customer will value and pay for such as the example above.  It will make you more money and the customer will be happier because he is getting value where he wants it, not just because you are limited in your production capabilities.  I'm sure someone on here would jump at the chance to print it for you at wholesale price as well.  Also, as a side note, yes you can get that stuff from Grimco at that price, but don't forget about freight.  They don't ship stuff that size by UPS, so you are going to be better off buying several sheets, even if you are close enough to drive and pick it up from either Chicago or St. Louis.  The last time I had 25 sheets of PVC that size shipped to me by freight it was $350.

• Like 2

Also this sign will probably be around for a long time-  so I would plan on good outdoor materials.

Sign panel out the door 1 side $400 2 side $600. Install extra and I have a ton of 4x8 sign on 3mm which is $25 cheaper and holds up fine if installed properly. On and Grimco deliver to me no charge (yeah I know I'm lucky :) ) Before anybody says how low I am remember I'm not the only one pricing this way and we are the competition especially to a startup business whether you like it or not.

I like to get the most that I can out of every job and focus on quality rather than what the dude down the street is doing.  In my experience the people who undercut every job you do are usually stressed out because they aren't making any money, try to cut corners, make mistakes and eventually go out of business.  Then I swoop in and buy all their surpluss materials and equipmentment on the cheap and wait for the next guy to come along and try to undercut me.

I like to get the most that I can out of every job and focus on quality rather than what the dude down the street is doing.  In my experience the people who undercut every job you do are usually stressed out because they aren't making any money, try to cut corners, make mistakes and eventually go out of business.  Then I swoop in and buy all their surpluss materials and equipmentment on the cheap and wait for the next guy to come along and try to undercut me.

Funny thing is I'm not the low baller around here more like somewhere in the middle but I have bought out a couple places going under around here. I'm not a graphic artist so I can't always get what some get.

Single color with no install on 1/2" signboard those go for $195 in my area. The big shops print them with a flatbed printer. 

Single color with no install on 1/2" signboard those go for $195 in my area. The big shops print them with a flatbed printer. 

isn't it funny the guy with the $45K printer does them the cheapest

• Like 2

isn't it funny the guy with the $45K printer does them the cheapest

The suckiest part is they have a HUGE sign on the side of their building which boarders a major thoroughfare advertising that price. I don't do very many of that type of sign but I charge $6/SF single color single sided on painted signboard and beat him by $3. Not that great of money but at least I can compete for my clients who are aware of his prices. Most want to add color or change substrate etc which lets the door swing a little wider for profits. 

I feel much better about what I'm getting now. All those low prices just made my day :)

This is gonna sound harsh but, You wanna open a store and you can't price this sign?

Yes, so only people without stores are allowed to ask for help pricing stuff??

And i havent had a chance to talk to the guy, but i think im probably gonna pass on it, send him to a buddy with a printer.

gc says, "Yes, so only people without stores are allowed to ask for help pricing stuff??"

Right, haven't you heard? sheeesh.

WE...ARE...F-A-M-I-L-Y!!!  C'MON EVERYBODY LETS SING!!!

or....

WE ARE THE WORLDDDdddd....... WE ARE...THE CHILDRENNNnnnn.....

;D  ;D  ;D thank you...thank you....I'LL be here all night.... ;D  ;D  ;D

truthfully though? Give it to your friend to do since he has the equipment for it and you're not used to doing BIG signs yet

and hopefully he'll throw work your way ;) !!!

The best way to learn pricing is to do the math and come up with a number. Sometimes you'll be too high and occasionally a little low but that is how you'll learn what works for you. Every shop is different or if you really want that structured price subscribe to sign craft and check out their pricing guide.

• Like 2

If sanded smooth and properly painted.

The guy wants it on plywood...will oracal 651 stick to plywood??

You really should use SignBoard and you can get it pre-painted white. It's marine grade plywood and will last a while longer than any regular ply. I like to wipe the edges with some clear silicone sealant when I'm done to help the edges last better. You will need to locate your local sign supply in your area. I guarantee there is one somewhere close to you.  

Use MDO. Available from pretty much anywhere, Menards in alex has it on hand. Marine Plywood twists to much and is not faced for signage..

Actually Shawn, i was gonna send him to you..if u are interested.

I am looking at moving into a small shop/store in Glenwood right now and with getting stuff organized for the move, i dont have the time to do it at the moment.