I know I read this something on nodes before but now I can't find the post.

Does it matter on the amount of nodes a vector image has for cutting vinyl? Wondering if I need to clean up the nodes on an image after I trace it in inkscape.

Ausitn

The amount of nodes absolutely do matter... and where they are placed, even more.

Most files need some cleaning up after auto-trace. Creating from scratch, not so much.

Best way to look is put your design on wireframe/outlines  and zoom it up real big.   Then take a good look all around your design.

What are some tips for node amount and placement?

When tracing, it puts a lot on places that are more detailed and jagged and its hard to keep the shape when deleting some nodes. Is that ok to have more there or how does it mess up the cutting?

Not sure of the exact algorithms the different software uses but, it has been my experience that it will

basically looking for the 'shortest distance between 2 points' kind of approach.

To avoid that 'rounded over' look and work in a professional manner, you will want to

hone your skills with node manipulation and simplification.

It's another one of the finer points that help separate the men from the boys ( or ladies) in the graphics industry.

• Like 2

The nodes, are what your cutter reads. It goes from this node, to the next one, etc, etc. That's why there are more on a curve, than are on a line. Less nodes are desired, to a point.

Mileage may vary, but you could try  selecting a bunch of nodes then do "Simplify".

... and allow the software to randomly select nodes to delete?

It's just prior to that you should be asking yourself,

"Just what am I trying to accomplish with node reduction".

I guess what I am trying to say is, I've had little use for

arbitrary mass deletion of nodes. I pretty much only delete them

with precision and selection, not through a random process.

If "Simplify" is what your after, I guess that's the right button.

I've used it with success in CorelDraw were it is labeled reduce nodes.  I haven't played with it as much in Inkscape so I am not sure how it does.  Depends on what your dealing with.

Mileage may vary.

I did note the 'mileage may vary' disclaimer, dc... and you're right in pointing that out.

It's just where I've experimented with the feature in Inkscape and VinylMaster,

it mostly rounds things off, usually in an undesirable way, for me.

My mileage has been lousy with it.

Austin, I agree with what the others have posted. Just taking them out so they aren't there is a useless exercise but if they are there because the auto trace thought it needed to create a bump, hick-up or a dimple where you don't think there should be one (all too common on most auto trace jobs) then you have to start deciding which ones are causing issues and either remove them or change them. Nodes serve the same function in any vector program but each program goes about manipulating them a little differently. You'll have to expand your knowledge to learn those specifics. 

Nodes (also probably more appropriately called anchor points) are either: 

1. Straight corner node with no handles and no options to do anything except move the actual node

2. Smooth curve nodes which have a straight line across the node with handles on each side. The handles can be pulled longer independent of each other and the line can be moved but moves the opposite side at the same time.

3. Variable/combo nodes which have a combination of either straight corner on one side and an adjustable corner on the other or tow independently adjustable corners. 

As said earlier, your design program will allow you to adjust or change the type of anchor point.  The method and adjustment vary from one program to another, as does how you place them when tracing a design by hand manually which is what Skarekrow was alluding to separating the men from the boys. I rarely auto trace anything that I am going to be proud of. Skarkrow has some superhuman skills with photoshop and is able to manipulate images good enough before tracing them that he turns out some fantastic results in record time but that too is a skill learned and honed. I'm not that awesome inPS so I typically hand trace anything that I am wanting to copy. Gives me the control of where the anchor points are placed and what little bumps to ignore or include. 

• Like 3

Thanks for all the responses!

So what will be the difference if there are a lot of nodes on an image? I don't think I have read a response saying the negatives to having more nodes (unless I skimmed over it). Will it cut slower?

Slower cut and potential file size issues with value cutters

I have done some very "bad" traces that had several thousand nodes and my value cutter handled it with no issues. That doesn't mean it was a good cut or trace, just that it takes a lot of nodes to actually over run the memory.