Macon Innovations

Suggestions on stencil for Etching cream

Someone i know asked me if i could cut stencils for her......She goes around to car shows and does glass etching with some type of cream.....Anybody know of anything that will work?

Theres your basic vinyl. then the stecil material look up sand blasting stencil or you can get rayzist or even ez screen print.

My wife tried that cream on her craft stuff....doesn't etch very deeply at all....looks too hokey for me....Sandblasting is MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But if she did it for car shows and other venues, and you want to try it out, I think Michael's and other Craft Supply stores carry it :) !!!!!!!!!!

Shoot, if you've seen how it comes out on her stuff and she had good luck selling it, then GO FOR IT :) !!!!!!!!!!!!

Just ask the clerk for etching cream for glassware....

Here's one from Wallmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/12347708?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000158449&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40939506752&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78876025352&veh=sem

just make sure you don't do the logos ;) !

I'm not looking for the cream, This person has something that works to her satisfaction already for her needs....She is just wanting me too make her some stencils so she can quit cutting them free handed...

I do sanblasting on glass as well (no cream) but Oracal has a paint mask  made for chemical use. Have never tried it with the cream so not 100% sure but the oramask 810 or 811? I think.

The cream is not very powerful as opposed to the actual acid used in the early days so I would just try some sign vinyl you have laying around on a scrap piece of glass and see if it holds up. The cream comes in a plastic container so a pvc based vinyl should be fine. Just have to see if the adhesive will hold up. And if not see if you can get a sample from oracal of the paint mask to try.

What is she using now if she already does this?

I use standard oracal vinyl and never had it eat through it. dont ask the number  of the oracal cause I cant remember.

I use standard oracal vinyl and never had it eat through it. dont ask the number  of the oracal cause I cant remember.

Ok , Thank you

Yeah I used to do the creme before getting into a sandblaster. Just about any of the vinyls work just fine. 

Yeah I used to do the creme before getting into a sandblaster. Just about any of the vinyls work just fine. 

I never would have thought that......Thanks for the info

Armour Etch - Light frosting, can sometimes be patchy.

Velvet Etching Cream - Light frosting. Coats well and has better coverage.

Etchall Dip n Etch - does pretty good, but it's a dipping solution, so mostly for small stuff.

Air Eraser - best results without a full sandblaster outfit.
I prefer Paasche, Badger or Master brands.
Fairly affordable.
A small portable compressor and for small etching might be the best bet, but takes some practice.

They make sandblast resist vinyl in several thicknesses. I prefer something in the 6 mil+ range.

Some of the local sandblasters like Oracal 631 and I would think with an air erasure, a person wouldn't have too many troubles with it.

Just my thoughts. Hope it helps.
  • Like 1

I've used cheap eBay vinyl (scraps from race car graphics) for stencils with Armor Etch as well has Oracal 751 performance grade  - it doesn't eat through the vinyl on either type. Good Luck - hope this helps!

Ive used Armor etch in combination with Oracal 651 with no adverse effects. The acid creams are very light and do not seem to permeate much of anything. I always use disposable harbour freight nitrile gloves and it cant get through that.

Speaking of harbour freight, if you have one near you they sell "expendable" sandblast attachments for around $14 (less with a coupon). Combine that with play sand dried in your oven for 10 minutes, and you are good to go on the cheap (just be sure to wear proper eye and breathing protection)