Sign in to follow this  
efimage

Stencil Paint Mask question, Oramask 811?

I am trying to figure out what paint mask would be best for my application.  I have been making some personalized distressed wooden signs lately.   I am using pine wood and craft acrylic paint.  I have been making my stencils using some extra Oracal 631 I have laying around.  My problem is the 631 is pulling some paint up. So far it has been working in my favor because they are distressed signs but I would like to make some that are not distressed.   I was thinking Oramask 811 would work from what I read.  I can try some Oracal 651 I have but I would think that would be worse than the 631 in pulling up the paint.

Do you guys have any recommendations on what paint mask I should try?

I use the 811 fairly regularly... it's definitely lower tack than the 651.

Doubt it would pull up properly prepped, applied, & cured paint of any type.

In fact, depending on the roughness of your wood surface, it may not have enough adhesive.

That's actually the only problem I have with it... sticking well enough to well primed canvas.

The absorbancy of the task-specific 811/813 is a plus as well.

Thanks for the info guys.  I am pulling the mask up 5-10 minutes after stenciling but before the paint dries.  I am using craft acrylic paint and let it sit for a day before I apply the mask . The acrylics dry pretty fast but my guess is it needs more time to fully cure. I think I am going to order a roll of 811 and see how it goes.

I use the 811 fairly regularly... it's definitely lower tack than the 651.

Doubt it would pull up properly prepped, applied, & cured paint of any type.

In fact, depending on the roughness of your wood surface, it may not have enough adhesive.

That's actually the only problem I have with it... sticking well enough to well primed canvas.

I'm gonna go with skarekrow on that.

Unless your wood is sanded smooth and sealed, it's likely that the mask is leaving a lot of surface open for the paint to get into.

Even with metal work and AutoAir airbrush paint, there is a happy medium of time to pull the mask to get clean edges.

If pulled too soon, the liquid paint wants to come with the mask. Pulled too late and the paint has flashed too much and you risk pulling paint from the area you want it to stay, leaving a jagged edge.

Anyways, just my opinion.

Do you guys know what the difference between oramask 811 and oramask 813 is. besides the color. is one more tacky then the other?

Oracal color guide book has the same info for both. Blue is semi-transparent, white is not.