gcextreme

Broadway Mainstreet Store front 1700sq ft $350 a month!!

The place shares the entrance with the salon, so that front area i have no way to lock or separate.

The only areas i can lock for privacy and security are the 2 offices. The large back room, has to be open for the shared bathroom, so i can't lock that either. The salon lady and her customers would need to travel thru that large area.

Even tho there is tons of room here, the lack of security is an issue.

I found a much smaller 550sq foot shop around the corner for $325...it has one large showroom and one smaller office area, and then a bathroom. 

Rent there is $325 but i would have to pay electric and heat....the owner said heat is natural gas and is about $50-75 a month.

Not sure what to go for.... i am still really continuing my search.

I am also waiting on my insurance lady to give me a quote for business insurance etc.

Hmm....now you have a whole 'nother dimension thinking about security.....If anything, put up security cameras...that may help with the insurance lady...that other place seems WAYYY too small for what you are going to do....probably can't rent out much space to other crafters either....Glad heat will be much lower though....Sharing the big space with other ladies walking through it may be a big plus though, if you showcase your stuff that they "just happen to have to walk by ;) " ...... Also, you could put "specials" for Mother's Day and other Holidays. Put up big signs to catch their attention :) !!

As far as insurance, make sure you get it for theft that will cover the other crafters property also....

I would be very hesitant to share an open space with another business, especially when that business has random people walking through common areas.

• Like 2

How would you guys deal with a mall kiosk? Open on all sides and easily accessible during mall hours. Personally I'm more afraid of that scenario than salon customers who may be in dire need of some wall art and never even realized it until they saw your displays in the common area.

You could probably install a freestanding "fence" blocking some of the

large area.

I've seen that done before at malls... people walking by can see all the

stuff inside but can't enter.

And, yeah, that would be a great space to put up a bunch of wall art

designs.

Sue2

Where is the bathroom in relation to the entrance to the back room. Maybe you could put up a fence with a gate to create a little hallway to the bathroom when you're not there.

tthe bathroom is straight back, right thru the center of the main large room.

Rather than potential customers with all those ladies milling about, I suspect the majority of them

will be inspired by you to get a plotter and start their own 'sticker' business.

You may spur on more competition than sales and who do you think the other 'buyers'

will then turn to?  The lady from the beauty shop they already know.

i doubt that...unless she has graphic arts talents, and has tons to invest in starting up such a business...also she has been cutting hair for 30 years...doubt she's gonna drop that to go into decals...

and since theres already 1 shop that does vinyl decals and screen printing apparel, and another big vinyl sign shop outside town, and i bet when i open up, they will see me as competition, and for another store to open just off seeing me open, is a bit unlikely. 

but i offer services and products that both of them dont...so who knows, they may start.

I was thinking more of the hair dressers' customers.

And as far as needing graphics Arts talent and a ton of money to get into the vinyl business....

Have you looked around at who out there doing it?

• Like 1

Really,,?  I can't draw a stick figure..And I don't have to.  I don't sell stick figures  LOL  ..And have been in business since 2007, as a TOP RATED Power seller. My quality and service speaks for it's self. ..Start up price total was less than $900.. And you don't ever see me here asking for help.  I trained myself long before I knew about this forum. I read a lot. ..I have almost 11,000 posts and out of all of those posts,, there is only about 3 questions from me...The rest I am helping people on.... ;D  or just running my mouth  :rolleyes:

• Like 3

I was thinking more of the hair dressers' customers.

And as far as needing graphics Arts talent and a ton of money to get into the vinyl business....

Have you looked around at who out there doing it?

Bingo. Take a look at how many "pros" post requests for help on these forums. Anyone with $200-300 can get into this business. It is not hard. Talent, unfortunately, is optional.

• Like 2

I just put my son in business last week, with a New Graphtec CE5000-60   and all supplies and designs for under $2600..We had 19 rolls of Oracal   of which 6 rolls were 50 yd..came from UScutter and 4 rolls of transfer tape different sizes.from JRipper...Boxes from Uline..Flexistarter10 software,  Mask-rite tape app.  Few smaller weed items... He didn't need anything, to get going.  Plus FREE training from me.in all aspects. ..I knew what he needed as far as supplies..  ..He can't draw a stick figure either.   But that does not mean that you can't have a successful business.  We are not advertising our graphic drawing skills,, We are advertising decals/vinyl graphics for sale.

• Like 3

Well I am going with the smaller place, more security there, and I lucked out, the owner also owns the other building down on the next block that has 2 garage stall bays, he says the front offices are used by the accounting firm and the back bays are pretty much empty, and i could have access to them to do installs for now, until the whole building sells at least.

• Like 1

edit edit edit WTF? I am having a hard time following this edited thread! Are you going through with it or not? Sounds like it has good potential if you are ready. Are you ready or.:huh:?.

EDIT ...,I see that now :);) Good luck .. it's a big step

Just picked up the lease..gotta go over it and then hopefully sign it on Monday.

Outside pic..will have to repaint the orange and green...

Will get pics of the inside later

20150508_102551_zpsrzvefcyf.jpg

• Like 2

Good for you man! I hope it works out for you. Yes I would tame down the storefront colors a bit and let your vinyl work on the windows and door draw them in.

OK UPDATE:

I have enough money set aside for the $325 security deposit, and 3 months rent, and utilities give or take. I am waiting on my insurance agent to give me a quote on insurance for the business store etc.

Anyway, my mother wants to help, she wants to loan me $3200 to help pay for a year of rent. $325 x 12 months = $3900.

The guy said he would take a one lump year sum of $3500.  

My mom is still telling me to get him down to $3200....i keep arguing with her that $3500 is fine, she can give me the $3200 and i will pay the other $300...

It's frustrating dealing with my mom, she likes auctions and likes to bargain and etc...

Anyway i worked it out with my mom that i would pay her back $175 a month to pay off the $3200, that would take 18 months. But i am sure i can pay her more that the $175. 

I will be signing the lease on Tuesday, and hopefully start painting this week and moving in next weekend.

Also Thursday i had to QUIT my job, loaded up my toolbox and left. The owner did something, something very barbaric, something right out of the book of Hitler, he did this and there's just no way i could continue to work for him. I already had 2 interviews for a new job, and have another one on Monday. Hoping to get the 2nd shift, so i can work from 3-11pm or so, and run my store from 8am-2pm.

raise your hands if you were one of us "back in the day" to try to make our fingers do that :) ??!!!

gc, that is sounding TOTALLY AWESOME :) !!! Sorry to hear that about your boss, a lot of us had them...I had one that did that to me, but shouldn't say what I "wanted" to do.

I had to leave it in prayer and STILL do this day it tears me up!!!! Everyone says time will heal...to "let it go" because it eats you up everyday and he's probably laughing about it... Almost 7 years and I STILL can't let it go :(

I got a mom like that...it's funny how they love you so much, they just "want to help", but sometimes it's embarrassing (to ask the guy to go even lower) ;D   !!!