Primal Decals

Banner help needed

I sat here and went thru every post i could find about banners in the forum and still wasnt getting much info.So im shouting out for myself from the experts on here... Ive been asked to do some banner work and im lost .They will be outside and i will be using my oracal vinyl either 651 or 751 whatever is suggested best by you smart guys. Also what thickness is best, i read some people use the 13oz and dont worry about the shadow showing thru the other side and then some do worry or they use the 18oz material.. i dont want to worry about seeing ithru and having a crappy banner.

1. So what is highly suggested 13 or 18 oz etc banner material?

2. what vinyl is best for banners?

3. Is there a certain type of banner finish for the vinyl to adhere to i need?

4. what is better -roll of banner already with grommets or not ? or buy them pre-made cut and hemmed?

5. hem tape to use for the ends if i goto cutting my own rolls?

I hope i covered the questions if i missed anything please feel free to add info..

Thank you everyone so much for your time to help me out and hopefully this will help others as well.

I use 13oz and I have done many hundreds of banners ( maybe thousands). If you are just doing one, order pre-made hemmed all sides. If you are planning on doing a bunch, get the rolls...but word of warning..I have yet to find a banner hem tape that will hold on 13oz. You can always get a heavy duty sewing machine and sew the ends.

Unless you order block-out or double sided, you can only apply vinyl to the finished side.

as for vinyl....651 will likely outlast the banner itself....don't waste your money on the 751.

Remember...banners are not meant to be permanent signage. For long term use, get something else.

Good luck...and the way to get good is 'practice,practice, and practice'.

• Like 2

Thanks Bannerjohn. i will look into what you suggested,, Do you have a good source to suggest on premade ones for a good deal where i can get them ?

I'm with John 651 is more than adequate but long term depends on how they are installed. I have some on a ball field that are 4 years old but I've seen other get shredded in a month because they were allowed to flap around in the wind. If you get to doing a lot of these it's a lot cheaper to buy blank rolls designed for printing and cut and sew them yourself with a high quality sewing machine.

• Like 1

John, as your screen name implies you do a LOT of banners right? I hear you say you use a huge amount of the GS vinyl and I assume it's on banners. It seems like this would be a very appropriate vinyl for banners. How well does it perform on them? What kind of feedback can you give on that application for the GS. I dog the stuff a lot but have had success in certain applications and have wondered how it holds up to typical banner installations and for those that get rolled up and moved around a lot. 

• Like 1

I have not had a single banner fail using Greenstar. The fact is, it will probably outlast the banner itself. Same for coroplast.  Shrinkage is minimal but ALL calendared vinyl will shrink. It's as simple as that.

But use what you will..if you are doing a few banners here and there, it doesn't make much of a difference. But if you do a LOT of banners, use the GS...otherwise you are wasting a lot of money. IT all adds up.

• Like 1

If there is a lot of wind, sometimes cutting a wind flap into the banner might give it loner legs.  It doesn't reduce wind stress a great deal, but some.  In a windy environment, it is just better than nothing.  Some cities have ordinances requiring banners to have air slits.   I don't like using wind flaps, but I thought I would throw it out there.

I also agree 651 for banners as banners are more temporary in nature.  It might just be me, but GS seems harder to weed.