Sign in to follow this  
TauntDevil

Glitter Vinyl Questions & Issues

Hello all!

Sorry to bother again but was unable to find the answers I was looking for when searching.

I have glitter vinyl that I bought online. Same seller that my friend buys from and uses.

The machine I have is a US Cutters Laserpoint 2 24" (i think). 45 degree blade at 112pressure and 400 speed (some intricate stuff in the designs).

1.So my first question is does anyone notice glitter vinyl being more difficult to weed than normal calendar vinyl or is it just me being new?

2. When weeding, some of the decals are easy to weed while others seem like the blade didnt cut all the way through. Is this caused by maybe too much pressure, causing friction heat on the blade holder and making the vinyl thin out instead of cutting correctly?

3. The clear transfer tape I have is Greenstar High tack but the issue I am running into is that it is not grabbing the vinyl, even the small stuff. Its about a 75% chance it wont grab at all and 25% chance that it will grab some of it. Is there a difference of types of clear high tack transfer tapes that I need to use?

Sorry if this are nooby questions but I do happy to be new and am using stuff that I got with the machine (except for glitter vinyl, thats new.). I did search but did not find the answers I was looking for. As far as blade depth etc, I always ALWAYS cut a square piece of the vinyl that I am about to cut and adjust the blade depth as tutorials have suggested. The first few decals pull easily but as I get to the ones that were later cut in the process, it seems to get more and more difficult. Maybe just me?

Thank you in advance!

60* blade is almost  a must. I'm not sure how the SC compares with the laser point, but I run a little extra blade and increase pressure by about 50% and run 200 for small intricate images, 300 on the rest. 

I also haven't cut glitter vinyl though, just reflective and glitter heat transfer vinyl for shirts.

^ Thanks.

Anyone know about the issue with the transfer tape though? Seems to be my biggest issue.

Also, I just noticed I posted this in the wrong section and I apologize. Thought I was posting in the General Help section. If someone could please move this thread there, would be awesome!

Sorry!

I don't use the clear tape.  I always use paper transfer tape.,, But you should squeegee the top of the decal  real good,  turn the decal over and peel the backing away from the decal.. Much easier.  You should not be lifting the decal from the backing,,You will actually lift the paper from the backing doing that,  Then you will have paper stuck to your decal.  Always peel the backing away from the decal.

I don't use the clear tape.  I always use paper transfer tape.,, But you should squeegee the top of the decal  real good,  turn the decal over and peel the backing away from the decal.. Much easier.  You should not be lifting the decal from the backing,,You will actually lift the paper from the backing doing that,  Then you will have paper stuck to your decal.  Always peel the backing away from the decal.

I appreciate the tip. Trying it that way, it did a bit better. I use hard plastic squeegies (came with starter kit I think) and push down pretty hard to try and get all the bubbles out. I usually use paper transfer tape but have been trying to switch over to clear because the majority of people I give the stickers too prefer to be able to see the designs and where they are placing them on their car.

I really appreciate it!

I have been doing this since late 2006...I never use clear,, only paper, and never get complaints that they can't see the decal... I use Main medium tack paper transfer tape...

I have been doing this since late 2006...I never use clear,, only paper, and never get complaints that they can't see the decal... I use Main medium tack paper transfer tape...

The GXP-750? I compared that to HT-55 and I preferred the HT-55. This was on wall vinyl. A MainTape rep told me to use the GXP-750. It worked, but was slightly tackier and harder to remove from the vinyl.

The GXP-750? I compared that to HT-55 and I preferred the HT-55. This was on wall vinyl. A MainTape rep told me to use the GXP-750. It worked, but was slightly tackier and harder to remove from the vinyl.

I use GXP-575    Have for years.  I started with Conform R-tape. 4050-RLA  and got a roll of Main,  and just like the Main tape better, so I switched,

I purchase the 48" log and  they slit FREE to the sizes I want that equal  48"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201329774239?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=500526537929&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 2

I use GXP-575    Have for years.  I started with Conform R-tape. 4050-RLA  and got a roll of Main,  and just like the Main tape better, so I switched,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201329774239?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=500526537929&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

That's the same stuff I've been using for quite some time for my paint mask vinyl.

Yes, sometimes the vinyl will pull way as I'm pulling the backing, but if I take my time and make sure it's adhering good, it's not a problem.

And when I do decals for someone else, I just take my time with the squeegee.

Tried the clear once, but it doesn't seem to contour to the corners of something like a motorcycle tank for me (wants to crease on me), so I stay with the paper.

• Like 1

I just ordered a roll to test out. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

So as far as #2 issue goes. I believe it is true about the pressure causing the vinyl to heat up from friction of the blade holder and causing it to be impossible to weed when it gets to that point. Messing with the pressure settings now to try and find a sweet spot where I can cut the amount wanted where it is still able to be weeded but where further into the process, it wont be impossible. Too bad there isnt a pause command option in SCAL that can be entered instead of manually doing it.

Another issue I am running into is people wanting a glitter sticker to wrap around something. I cannot find a glitter style vinyl that is able to wrap around something or stretch... Any ideas where I can get some. I know there is silver rainbow for cars but the two colors that were recently asked for were purple, pink, and green... Only stuff I can find is the 3mm thick which, when I tried installing it on the part, as expected, it bunched, bubbled, and creased. Not sure what to do for this. Even if to tell them to leave and what not, even I myself for personal stuff would be interested in this...