Macon Innovations

New to vinyl , looking for a starter Machine

Trying to find a nice little starter machine somewhere around the $500 mark just to test the waters in my area and see if it's worth investing some real money in....I am not new too machinery by any means, I currently possess 2 3d printers , A laser cutter/engraver , and a CNC machine.....They have kept me very busy but I am kind of the only game around at the moment.....There are several sign shops in my town and they all offer vinyl....I am kind of tired of out sourcing what little vinyl I do need and it's another service I can offer to my own customers....Thank you in advance for your help and guidance.....

Mike

• Like 1

Mike, you can't go wrong with the LPII 24" with stand and media catch-basket.

$530 delivered  (includes the $9.99 material basket)

It might take you years to find a need to replace it with something better.

Thank you for your input.....The only issue I have with that is I have NO other supplies to go with it.....I was looking at the MH starter kit that comes with some supplies to get you going....As far as I'm concerned if it lasts for 6 months I would have gotten my money back out of it more than likely and then I would upgrade to a more solid machine.....I don't think I would ever use the contour cut feature....I usually need small Fonts....Making custom labels and such....In your opinion would the MH line work for those conditions?

Thanks

Mike

Welcome!

If you need small fonts, try and stay away from the MH series and go with at least the LPII mentinoned above. Sounds like you have a handle on computer ports, communication etc. with your experience above. 

Other members have had reliability and connection issues with the MH series over the years. 

Also note that cutting fine details you need a higher quality material ( i.e. Oracal 751 or similar) proper blade, blade depth, pressure and speed settings>) These will take time to establish- and less time and headaches on a capable machine.

More along the lines of wishful thinking....Trying to spend the least amount of money possible at the moment....Good old uncle Sam hit me over the head pretty hard this year....I can get the 34 inch MH series with some startup supplies for $330 shipped.....And then upgrade a few months down the road after I Recoup from that but if it's not going to do what I need then that's the end of that....I would need it to be able to handle 1/2 lettering at least 1/4 even better....And once again Thanks for the input

You can do what you want but the MH is the bottom and you really do get what you pay for. If your feeling like tossing away the value of the MH just throw it ($$$) my way and I'll send you a few free vinyl decals and we can call it even. LOL I too would recommend the LP2 or at the very least the SC model. You don't need a wider format than 24" vinyl for what you will be doing. The super value cutters (especially the MH) aren't going to be accurate enough to regularly do work larger than than anyway so something that will handle 24" is enough. Most vinyl you will purchase will be either 15" or 24". There are wider rolls but rarely used even amongst us regulars. 

Like was mentioned earlier for a few hundred extra you can have a machine that you may never even have to replace depending on what you do with it. In fact it's probably poor business to buy the bottom and then upgrade to the almost bottom so you should upgrade way up if you do it at all. I started out with a P-Cut which is no longer offered my USCutter but was similar to the LP2 they now offer. It did a surprisingly good job once dialed in. Couldn't do production runs because the memory was low and it had a tendency to wig out from static on mount-itme cuts but for here and there I did a ton of business for a couple years until I finally landed a huge job that needed many hours of cutter time so I took out a loan and upgraded. If I just did the occasional job here and there I might have kept the old one. 

• Like 1

Thank you for your input.....The only issue I have with that is I have NO other supplies to go with it.....I was looking at the MH starter kit that comes with some supplies to get you going....As far as I'm concerned if it lasts for 6 months I would have gotten my money back out of it more than likely and then I would upgrade to a more solid machine.....I don't think I would ever use the contour cut feature....I usually need small Fonts....Making custom labels and such....In your opinion would the MH line work for those conditions?

Thanks

Mike

You are welcome.

In your opinion, what "supplies" come with a bundle, that are essential?

I was mainly referring to the partial rolls of vinyl and transfer tape.....I will listen to the advice and just hold off on buying a machine till I can get the proper one....

Thanks again

Mike

OK, Mike, you realize that the transfer tape rolls in the bundles are only 6" and 12"  (and have a total value of around $23)?

Also, you indicated this  ---"As far as I'm concerned if it lasts for 6 months I would have gotten my money back out of it..."

So, yeah, the LPII would do that, assuming you earn $100 a month from working with it. And likely give you much more than 6 months of good and reliable service.

USCUTTER has sold thousands of those machines, and they are indeed the "proper" one for the people who own them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vinyl-Cutter-Bundle-Sign-Cutting-Plotter-w-Sure-Cuts-A-Lot-Pro-Design-Cut-/300804523526

• Like 1

I bought the starting pack you are looking at. And while it has served me well, it wasn't as good of a deal as it seems.

The MH is an ok machine but for letters any smaller than about half an inch tall it really is a pain. As for the green star vinyl that comes with the kit, it's good for practice, but the better Oracal 651 is much easier to work with and lasts longer.

I initially bought the LaserPoint I and it has served me well for years.

I just recently upgraded to a Graphtec and am currently using both 

machines while learning the "ins & outs" of the Graphtec.

When I get comfortable with the Graphtec I will sell the LaserPoint.

So, you can't go wrong with the LaserPoint as a first cutter.

I find that the LaserPoint is sometimes quicker to use than 

the Graphtec.  It's probably the learning curve that's slowing me 

down though.

Sue2 

I used a lp2 for a while before going to graphtec and it was a reasonably good machine. I just loaned it to another shirt shop 2 days ago because their cutter died on them.

Ok one last question......Beside the Obvious......Is there a real advantage with going with a bigger unit......Im thinking about going with the FPII 50" model because i dont want to need a bigger machine a few months down the road........Or should i just stick with one of the smaller units.....

Thanks again

Mike

Why do you think you would need a 50" cutter?  What are your long term goals? I have a 30" cutter and have never needed bigger...   I started with a 30" value cutter and made designs to fit it..So when I upgraded, to a pro cutter I wanted a 30" again...  I do large decals....  I can't imagine a 50" value cutter, tracking that great,  Or have that great of memory, to do 50"  wide  as well as long decals.. Just my 2c..

Thats the kind of info i was looking for.....Might see if a few more people chime in but i'm thinking the same thing......Thank you

Not really sure on long term goals......I do alot of custom 3D design and manufacturing small parts....Just figure vinyl is one more thing i can offer to my customers..And to be 100% honest i've always wanted to get into it........And i have no clue if i would ever need a 50" machine....Just figured bigger is better..lol.

had a 50" one and went back down to a 24 - wait till you try to mask and apply that full 48" and you will understand - almost all signs can be broken down into 24 or 30" elements that are much easier to work with

• Like 2

I think 50" is overkill , I use one and I don't think I'll ever need that width ever.

Good point Dakota! haha never had to make something that big , does sound like a job if I had to apply it!