Sign in to follow this  
Guest fivestar

Which Heat Vinyl

Guest fivestar

Alright guys, I finally sniped an auction for a heat press and now it's time to start looking at the best heat trensfer vinyl to use.  Please give me your best suggestions to use and also which brand would be better for dual color transfers. 

Also I have heard that this stuff is alot easier to weed then regular graphic vinyl is that true?  I honestly haven't really had any problems weeding regular vinyl so I don't know about it being easier, anyways please guys give your suggestions and different sites to check out.

Thanks again

If you're doing multiple colors it's best to use the kind that peels hot.The cold peel tends to set the registration off after you have to peel it cold.It does weed easier than regular vinyl,but you have to watch your hands because the weeding leaves the adhesive exposed from the plastic backing sheet.I have been using thermoflex,but I have been doing one color designs and it is a cold peel.I think Tater uses the hot peel but I don't remember what brand it was.

Guest fivestar

Thanks for your reply Billy, you use regular thermoflex or plus?  I read that plus was hot peel but never heard about regular thermoflex.  I really don't know how much dual colors I will be doing but I am going to try the 2 pictures I posted a few days ago. 

Couple other questions if you don't mind, do you have to use teflon paper with heat transfer vinyl or just with inkjet transfers?

Do you need thermal tape to keep the transfers in place to press them?

I don't use a teflon sheet because it has a thick plastic backing sheet.I guess you could use one to prevent scorching,but at low heat and low time you really don't have scorching.I use the regular because it's about the cheapest way to go.Here in doo da you can't get a primo price for printed shirts so I go the lowest cost to be competitive.

First off, sorry to bring up old threads but this one has been helpful to me!

Billy,

My wife wants to transfer some of her photography in black onto a stretched canvas. Will the Thermoflex (regular) adhere to it? It's not completely smooth, it's your typical painting canvas that comes from Michaels or Joannes. Also, will Thermoflex go on efficiently with an iron?

Thanks in advance for your expertise!

Guest fivestar

Billy is MIA so I will try to help you with my little knowledge about heat press vinyl.  First off, a regular iron would be tough to get it to stick properly, thermoflex needs to be pressed on at 350 degrees F and even pressure throughout to get it to adhere properly.  I have seen on other forums where people have did it for their own projects and not for resale and they have had "somewhat" success.  BTW, I don't think they even make regular thermoflex anymore, I have only seen thermflex plus.

Hope this helps.

There is a multitude of heat press vinyls out there,  you just need to mate the material with what you are putting it on.  cotton and polyester are the easiest and nylon, well that is a different story.  that takes a material like Gorilla Grip and that is a night mare to use.  I would advise staying away from it if you can.  as for the teflon sheet, I always used a teflon pad on my heatpress and i would turn the image down on it after applying it and press for just a few seconds, it smooths out the image.  if you are good enough you should not need thermal tape, if you are unsure of keeping it in place use it.  weeding this heat press vinyl is not always easy.  some of the carriers are sticky and some are not.  Stahls has a spray that is a must for reattaching any thing that lifs, it wont leave a film on the image.  There is also a remover that they carry for taking off something you made a mistake on, just remember, that stuff can stain and not always will you get a clean removal.  check out Stahls for the most complete line of heat transfer materials.  they also have some really neat weeding tools, they are not cheap but they are invaluable once you use them you are hooked!  Stahls also has some kits that come with video on installing and tips.  That would probably be your best place to start.  it comes with quite a large amount of trial pieces, even flocked transfer material.  the main thing with heat transfer material is that you MUST use a 60 degree blade and make sure to do test cuts to make sure the blade is sharp.  excessive pressure is a sure sign of a dull blade.  this will cause weeding issues and jagged edges.  not to mention broken blades and expensive material losses.

Guest fivestar

dee I have never used a 60 degree blade for heat transfer vinyl and have never had any problems cutting it.  Actually heat transfer vinyl cuts ALOT better for me then sign vinyl does.  Also I only use www.jotopaper.com for my heat vinyl with their multicut, was using thermoflex plus but multicut is the same price and comes in 20" width as opposed to thermoflex plus at 15".