cobbboys

How to cut heat vinyl

I've been doing regular vinyl for years, but am new to the heat vinyl. My question is, I've got a roll of black vinyl (one side black and other a faded grey). Which side goes up? The way the regular vinyl goes into the cutter would make the grey on top, but looks like the black should be on top. Any other suggestions (pressure, speed, etc) would be GREATLY appreciated :)

You cut the lighter or non-shiny side, so it should be facing up. You can usually use the same settings as sign vinyl, sometimes I find that I need a little more blade with HTV vinyl. Make sure you always cut HTV  in "Mirror" or "Reverse" !!!  LOL

Mirror always I have lost more vinyl forgetting to mirror.

Me too!

:-[

Thanks guys! I tried googling it to "learn" before wasting vinyl (I know the best way to do it is just experiment lol) but trying to get some starting pointers. But I got so confused lol. One place said to do this, the next place said DO NOT do that....... Even searched the vinyl I bought and the specific heat press I have and no instructions on them either. Anywhere in specific y'all go to get info?

Thanks guys! I tried googling it to "learn" before wasting vinyl (I know the best way to do it is just experiment lol) but trying to get some starting pointers. But I got so confused lol. One place said to do this, the next place said DO NOT do that....... Even searched the vinyl I bought and the specific heat press I have and no instructions on them either. Anywhere in specific y'all go to get info?

What vinyl did you buy? I have yet to purchase any from, well, anywhere that didn't send some sort of instructions. I use mostly Siser I buy from USCutter. The easyweed and easyweed stretch are both wonderful products. Cut with the same pressure as regular vinyl, press with medium pressure at 305 for 12-15sec and peel hot as soon as you lift the press. You might want to be sure you have a reasonably sharp blade especially with the stretch version. Oh yeah, Mirror the cut. LOL! I have to warn you that even with the many warnings you will probably at some point forget to mirror and it will really ruin your day. Hopefully you catch it before also ruining a shirt. I usually mirror my design so I would have to flip it again to mess it up. That has been the best method for me so far. 

Don't forget to 'mirror' your image. I've cut probably thousands, and I'll still do it. Hell, I just did it the other day, caught it halfway.

What vinyl did you buy? I have yet to purchase any from, well, anywhere that didn't send some sort of instructions. I use mostly Siser I buy from USCutter. The easyweed and easyweed stretch are both wonderful products. Cut with the same pressure as regular vinyl, press with medium pressure at 305 for 12-15sec and peel hot as soon as you lift the press. You might want to be sure you have a reasonably sharp blade especially with the stretch version. Oh yeah, Mirror the cut. LOL! I have to warn you that even with the many warnings you will probably at some point forget to mirror and it will really ruin your day. Hopefully you catch it before also ruining a shirt. I usually mirror my design so I would have to flip it again to mess it up. That has been the best method for me so far. 

I bought the Siser easyweed from US Cutter (along with the heat press) off of ebay.  NO instructions on either.  I sent US cutter a chat asking for info, and only reply I got was "pressure depended on my cutter and anywhere from 250-375 degrees on the heat press, depending on fabric"  That was a really helpful answer lol.  NOT!!!!!

Another thing I'm having problems with is, the vinyl is "wrinkling" in the center as it's cutting and messing up on cutting.  I have a roller on each end, but in the middle it like the vinyl is too flimsy to hold flat and the blade is pushing it up as it cuts.  Any suggestions on how to stop it?

You might have too much pressure. If you got a sharp blade it doesn't take that much to cut it. Slow the cutter down a bit too so it takes it time (not grandma slow but not fast). Do a few test cuts to determine the pressure which you should do anyway and maybe you did. If you have a third pinch roller you can run one in the middle because your cutting the adhesive side and it won't hurt it. 

What cutter are you using and how wide are you going on your image? You don't have 3 rollers?

Like was stated, the third roller should help a lot with that kind of problem.
If you are doing huge/wide cuts, you might have to put the third roller in the center and lighten the pressure on it a little, so it's down enough to keep it going, but light enough not to leave "tracks" in the vinyl.

Too much pressure or blade exposed. Been through this problem myself before and only once was it related to the rollers and it was on a machine that had cut so much material that the rollers were wore slap out,

I have a Summa cutter and only have the 2 rollers.  I cut a pretty large image (8x10 - with a bunch of cuts) and it was fine.  But I've cut 2  (1x3") names THREE times and it messes up every time.  My blade is pretty old, so probaby pretty dull.  Probably help to replace it lol. 

What is the difference in the degree of the blades?  My cutter carries a 36 degree blade, but I can't find any 36 degree. (I went back to doube check size). Closest I can find is either 30 or 45.  Which should I buy? What is the difference in regular blades and carbide blades?  What do y'all use?  So Confusing lol.  

What is the difference in the degree of the blades?  My cutter carries a 36 degree blade, but I can't find any 36 degree. (I went back to doube check size). Closest I can find is either 30 or 45.  Which should I buy? What is the difference in regular blades and carbide blades?  What do y'all use?  So Confusing lol.  

I use 60 degree CleanCut blades for everything. I have 5 blade holders that I use for different materials. Each material will cause wear on the blade in its each way, so it's good to have one for each type. It only takes a few seconds to swap out blade holders.

Your 36 is standard for the Summa and will cut it all just fine. You definitely have a dull blade. Go to SummaUsa and you can order new blades in. CleanCut also has a blade that works in the Summa and I tried it out but it wasn't any noticeable improvement over the standard Summa blades and cost a little more. The main use for a 60deg is for thicker products. There are some who prefer the 60 for fine cutting too. I tried both out and really had no discernible difference with lifting etc... The Summa 36 is a pretty good blade. 

Is there much difference in the 36 and 45 degree blades?  Summa has a 5 pack of 36's for $67, but I can get 45's off ebay for $9 each.  Rather not spend that much for blades since I don't do a lot of cutting.  I get the "fever" and will cut a lot at one time, then it sets for months before I get a chance to use it again.

I would doubt that any blades are available on eBay that will fit the Summa. At least any that I would trust. You buy the 5 pack and I'll buy three or 4 off you if you want. (Assuming your cutter uses same as mine.) I have the Summacut D75R 

What cutting software program are you using?  Mirror is on my any cutting software program as a feature.

You can also google that phrase and watch videos. Sometimes googling will give you answers quicker and videos to show how to do things. 

I have gotten in the habit of saving HTV jobs already mirrored. I just finish everything so it's ready to cut then select and flip it before saving. Has saved me many many times from accidental mistakes. You always notice when you look at anything with text that it's backwards and you go..oh yeah. 

• Like 1