Sign in to follow this  
WiL1978

F-150 Hood Insert Decal

its been a long time since I posted, but figured this was my last resort.. I always exhaust all other options before asking for assistance. I even went as far as going to the local sign shop and offering to pay them to create this, and even they said they wouldn't be able to recreate. They said to get some tape that has Wire in it, wrap it over that tape then peel back and cut the decal in place. I get it, but would rather have a clean plotter cut decal.  Attached are pictures of what I am attempting to do. One picture is my truck, a 2014 F-150 and the rest are examples. I am trying to recreate the hood insert decal as pictured. I would buy one at this point, but I want to try to do one in Textured Carbon Fiber, a flat black and a satin black that I have, plus I cant find one offered in carbon fiber. I can not for the life of me get the radius correct. I have blown thru a Ton of vinyl trying to recreate it, and I just cant seem to get it right. it will be close, but not right. I get the overall dimension correct (side to side, and top to bottom) but the radius is wrong. is there any chance, someone here would be willing to create this (I use Flexi) so I can cut it. I would be willing to PayPal if the price was fair. This has cost me 40 bucks or so already in wasted vinyl, and I really want this decal on my truck.. I think I do anyways.. I may end up not liking it, but at this point, I want to see how it will look.. thanks in advance for any suggestions or help with this frustrating issue.. the last pic shown is a sample of the insert, but I do Not want the pin line, just the solid piece decal to fit the area.

If I posted this in the wrong area, my apologies.

WiL

post-37959-0-50241400-1429362781_thumb.j

post-37959-0-27354000-1429362792_thumb.j

post-37959-0-85149200-1429362802_thumb.j

knifeless tape is what they are talking about. Lots of good videos on the net for it.

Good stuff. Someone who has used it will chime in soon. Sounds like your best bet.

• Like 1

Yea, that is what they called it. I couldn't remember exactly the name they used, but that is the stuff. Really hoping someone has done this before so I can buy the file. This is been eating at me for a couple weeks now.

after watching videos on that, I agree, that is probably my best bet. Looks simple enough, and does provide clean precise lines.

I havenever used the knifeless tape but I have a feeling you are not going to get good results with textured carbon fiber. Just a guess. 

I would make a paper/cardstock template by hand and then take a photo (square to the paper) and then import it and trace it by hand and adjust the size to march the paper. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the Input guys. I went ahead and bought some knifeless tape. This was a last ditch effort to use a cutter.. Tape wasn't to expensive, so I am going to give it a shot.

Be sure to post up your results!

Cal

• Like 1

Knifeless tape will work fine on carbon fiber vinyl.   Just make sure you use a quality vinyl.  

If you want to cut it you need to take a smarter route.   

Quit wasting vinyl and use paper and a pen on the plotter.   Start by making a killer template with some paper and cut it out with scissors.   

Take a picture and trace it like Wildgoose said.  

Then using paper and a pen in the plotter draw it out and lay your cut template on top.   When the plotter draws the perfect shape that matches up to your first template you got it.   

Cut it in vinyl.  

Working with paper will cost you a few bucks.   

• Like 2

if the 3rd picture is the template of what you need..... could you not at this point use the bezier tool in corel to get say... really close?

I could build that inlay in 10 minutes. Go-C is spot on, paper with a plotter pen is a great idea. What are you out? just a few pennies in butcher paper and you can tweak it until you love it. Just shoot for the outer most cut line and inset an couple offset paths after it fits and BAM your in business.  

• Like 1

Try this as a starting point. I had it as an EPS but it was too big. AI tends to save files larger than I can upload. SVG's always come out nice and small though. 

Ford Inset.svg

• Like 1

I have it has a cut ready file. PM if you want. I created and use for solid and "patterned" cuts. 

post-84967-0-71476800-1429549300_thumb.j

post-84967-0-83362000-1429549334_thumb.j

• Like 1

I created this template using the pen/paper for my plotter once I got a rough measurement. Took a few tries to get right but is good now. I would have used knifeless tape but this was shipped across the US so that wasn't really an option lol. 

• Like 1

Sorry I been away for a minute. This is Exactly what I am trying to achieve. I am still waiting on the tape, But will PM you about the file. Thanks again for the Help Guys..

If you use the knifeless tape, be sure to leave a few, 5-6 inches, on the starting side. Makes it easier to get a hold of. And, make a little cut, where the tape goes under the vinyl, 1/4 - 1/2 inch, helps it to start. It's a wonderful product.

• Like 2

well for starters, Moody Blue, helped me Out Tremendously.. I am still going to accent the slope and use knifeless tape on that as well. 

Here is the Finished Product

Thanks again everyone for the tips.. and Moody for the File.. 

post-37959-0-05090400-1430001470_thumb.j

• Like 2

Just wanted to make sure I Thanked Everyone who chimed in.. Especially WildGoose.. I downloaded that, then Moody sent me the file.. Thank you guys, very Much..

• Like 2

I just wish my F-150 was awesome enough to do this stuff to haha.

lol you can always make it awesome  ;D

Nah. Mine's only an 06 F-150 Lariat 2 wheel drive.

Sure you can heres a before and after of my buddies 2010 Lariat 2 wheel drive. SVT suspension swap with 37's, Fiberworx Raptor kit, and of course Moody Blue wrap job  ;D

post-84967-0-72708700-1430253805_thumb.j

post-84967-0-31550800-1430253811_thumb.j

• Like 2