Primal Decals

Time to show it

well after getting into this around 5-6 months ago, i never thought that this would go so big like it has for me ..My plan was to just do  small things and do it when i wanted...Im still learning so much and still forgetting a lot as i go..but i had a chance to help out some local veterans on their 10 passenger bus.     The original plan they wanted was to strip off the old vinyl which had to be sanded trust me, tried every method of know remover and vinyl wheel and the old vinyl adhesive would not come off this thing ....Then they took the bus down for a quote for paint on the sides which ended up being over their allowed budget ,and they wanted the areas pre-sanded as well so try and save cost which back fired on them..so then i had to attempt my first partial wrap to cover up what was sanded to metal etc and go from there..I  removed all the decal they wanted and they purchased the Amvets logo from a site called InkedAce(which we will never use again.) It was the worst crap ive ever seen and put together in pieces to make a 20" logo as we needed.. they used partial vinyl with printed vinyl.And the printed vinyl was over another color( like Red Printed on Yellow) It was the worst ever and i do not recommend them..I now have a local guy that will do all my print work,But i wasnt the one who chose Inkedace in the first place,So the amvets learned a lesson...I had to cut the logo pieces and re build it on the vehicle,Poorly masked etc with clear tape...

Anyway it was a chore with the vinyl sheets on the sides for me not ever doing it before or actually knowing how,but i got it done( with some bubble popping in the process) i did the largest side dry install and then the shorter side wet and the outcome was the same ,so i just did dry for the rest and then applied the rest of the decals,USA Fag and the POW flag(POW with mods added to clean it up). All said and done its finished and they love every part of the work i did and they are running it thru the parade this weekend ..I was nervous until it was done...So i hope everyone likes what they see.....post-88251-0-89862300-1429294380_thumb.j

• Like 3

Not sure why i cant larger images for better viewing of the pics, this is all i could get to work.... Thanks MB20. Image quality is bad ,,bummer...

That red on blue is hard to read, at least on my monitor, could have used a white stroke around the text.

• Like 4

Mfatty500-it stands out better in person.. not sure why the image is poor or looks like that. i guess i should have brightened it up in lightroom 5..thnaks everyone for your comments..i was stressed the hole time of laying that stuff ..but its what they wanted..

• Like 1

That red on blue is hard to read, at least on my monitor, could have used a white stroke around the text.

Looks great, but agree with Mfatty500, it could use a white outline on the red letters.

Red seems to be pretty difficult visually on a dark background of any color. At least to me.

I agree Mfatty and Dirt, I would have done that but he didnt want it .I do what they ask and i do suggest things as well,but in the end they pay me for what they want lol... Thank you everyone for your comments.

Would it have been something you could have mocked up on the computer to show him the difference?
No disrespect intended, but it is your name and work that people will see.

If you are able to show them on a mocked up image and why they should go with something that looks better and "pops", then if they don't go with your suggestions, you still have the mock up to show prospective buyers.

And the concern is, when folks ask them who did the work and they tell them, if it doesn't look pleasing to the eye, they see your name associated with it.

Again, I hope that doesn't come off wrong, just my thoughts on it.

For all those who don't do the job because they disagree with the customers views and I hear this a lot on here how do you pay for your groceries and lights etc. every month? Turn down enough jobs and you'll become known as someone who is hard to work with and I have seen that hurt a few shop around my area. Offer advice but do what they want even if it is not what you want.

• Like 1

For all those who don't do the job because they disagree with the customers views and I hear this a lot on here how do you pay for your groceries and lights etc. every month? Turn down enough jobs and you'll become known as someone who is hard to work with and I have seen that hurt a few shop around my area. Offer advice but do what they want even if it is not what you want.

I'm not saying don't do the job.

If I inferred that in my post, then I apologize.

But sometimes showing folks how it looks might sway them to seeing that they are paying you, because you know what you are doing.

I guess it's all in how you present it to them.

As I stated, sometimes mocking it up, so they can see the difference will be necessary.

I've had people ask for certain things on motorcycle tanks. Not something you can just change easily and once I clearcoat it, they either pay for a new paint job of live with it. 

But their color choices were less than favorable. 

After doing some samples of the colors together on some flat tins, they saw that it probably wasn't the best choice.

I've found over the years that a lot of people have it in their mind what they want, but don't really know how it will turn out until they actually see it. Then the blame is on the person who did the work if it is less than stellar.

Wasn't referring to you directly it's said a lot around here. Mockups are a great tool and to be honest most times my customers go with what I design over theirs but when they want it a certain way that's what I give them.

Medium blue and medium red are similar tonal value so the readability is hindered. Also, a lot of red/blue combinations will vibrate, which makes it even harder on the eyes. You should always resort to either a different color combination altogether, or use a white outline as was suggested. 

• Like 1