Sign in to follow this  
Quitetitan4

Noob From South Carolina Please Help :)))

I'm looking into opening a small vinyl business on the side for now and see how it goes. I have little to no experience but love the idea if designs etc. I have a eye for the details and love making stuff cool. Any help advice on start -up equipment would be greatly appreciated . 

It all depends on your budget.  You can start with the least expensive value cutter, to a higher end professional cutter.  But would stay away from the bottom MH series value cutter. Have seen and read too many problems on here.  If you have the funds, go with a Graphtec and don't look back.. 

Here is the UScutter buying guide.

http://www.uscutter.com/index/page/static/subpage/buying_guides_new

• Like 1

The Graphtec keeps coming to the top as a great machine .I would like to stay around the $3000 mark to start. I think things will pick up quickly. Guys in our area are so busy they wont even return you calls. I have a van, truck and trailer vinyl job where I work I have been tried to get done for a month. Crazy!!!! 

Figured it had to be coastal because competition is way tighter in the midlands. I"m just south of columbia.

What do you think about starting with the Laser Point Series from US Cutter. I want to try my hand with it and see hoe it goes before stepping up to the Pro cutter? :ph34r:

Im in the upstate. I started with a $500 machine and a background in graphic design. No need to spend thousands of dollars until you are familiar with the process and most importantly start making money. My "cheap" machine has lasted almost 3 years now with no major issues. I will be looking to upgrade later this year or next to something a bit bigger and that I can perform a contour cut with. 

What due you think about starting with a Laser Point III ? Looks like a good starting point.

I started with a similar machine and used it to make the money to work my way up the chain.  the value cutters will work and the added benefit is learning to run and troubleshoot those will make you better at running a pro cutter later  B) .   and you will appreciate the pro cutter a lot more after a few years working on the value cutters.  they allow you to find out if this is really for you.  too many people think it is fun and easy and lose interest when they discover it is work to do it all the time and do it right - so this also lets you find out for yourself where you stand in the long run

• Like 2

I'm basically in the same boat.....In over in NC , my Laser Point 2 will be here tomorrow...From my research here and other places that seems to be the buget machine to start with.....Ordered the starter package from their Ebay store.....$630 shipped for the 31.5" Not that bad of a investment to test the waters with....

• Like 1

With the laser point do I need to update to the servo motor for $300? What sizes would be the best size to start with?

I have to say from playing with this LPII so far I like it......Havent had a lot of time with it but it seems to cut pretty good.....I went ahead and upgrade to the Sure Cuts A Lot Pro 4.....Figure if im going to learn a program it might as well be the newest...

Here is my first 2 color sticker...lol

post-92305-0-42331000-1430534313_thumb.j

• Like 1

For a starter machine I don't think you can really go wrong with the LPII.........This is the setup I bought and I am very pleased with it.....I only went with the 31.5" because it was only $20 more than the 24" model.....But from my research you can do just about anything with proper planning on a 24"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vinyl-Cutter-Bundle-Sign-Cutting-Plotter-w-Sure-Cuts-A-Lot-Pro-Design-Sale-/300879724537?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460dd43ff9

If you would like me to test if it will cut anything particular just let me know.....I will help you out if i can.....

Thanks

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks Macon! I really appreciate all of your insight. A little nervous with no experience but this way I'm not out much if I fail......... What about designs like sports teams, logos for cars, trucks etc. I know there trademarked but I know people have them. Wasn't sure if someone sells a licensed one.

It's been a BIIIIG NO NO in this forum....Lot of people do it on eBay, but apparently they haven't been fined yet!!! Mz SKEETER will be one of the 1st ones to reprimand you, along with some others!!! I like that, because it shows they care about everyone on this forum and try to watch your backs from being sued.... However, I think some don't take their warnings and do it anyway....it's all up to you....if you own your own home...I wouldn't advise it.....

That's why I wondered if they made some kind of licensed software. Sounds like someone needs to develop the idea! :rolleyes:

Companies and businesses don't have to allow someone to steal their logos etc.  Huge companies are already licensed to do the work for the business. ...They have contracts. They pay for that license, and must sell a certain quota every year.of Items  being made at the companies quality control.. Not just some person who bought a $ 250-300 cutter and selling their logos and designs at some flea market.etc.

In most cases major BIG bucks are paid for those licenses.

Ordered he Titan 28'' start- up package, Should be here tomorrow. Cant wait to get started, hopefully it was a good choice.