arty-rc

Finally got around to it

I've been wanting to give this a try for a while. I found some 5x5 beveled glass and went at it. I cut the vinyl and did a two stage sandblast. Grabbed a scrap 2x4 and a couple of passes on the table saw and a few passes on the router table, then some round-off sanding made the base. I added two coats of mahogany varnish stain, wired up 6 blue led's to a 12v power supply and it was done. 

post-7680-0-31702100-1429231240_thumb.jp

• Like 6

Glass looks crooked to the base,tilting to the left, graphic not centered on vertical biases.

But good idea.

mark-s

Glass looks crooked to the base,tilting to the left, graphic not centered on vertical biases.

But good idea.

mark-s

It just looks that way in the cell phone photo. 

Very nice.  Would you explain the two stage sandblast for me?

Thanks,

Cal

Very nice.  Would you explain the two stage sandblast for me?

Thanks,

Cal

What I did was removed the masking on the outside parts and the stars. Sandblasted those areas semi deep and then removed the rest of the masking for the image and sandblasted the whole image again. That produced a deep outline and a normal sandblasted inner area etch. 

• Like 1

Arty looks good and I see where you mean its the photo you don't see the other side of the glass to be 100% positive that its not centered happens to some t-shirts and other items I take photos of. Some members are just to high of themselves and feel they are the know it all of things.

• Like 2

still off center vertically

mark-s

Yes it is. I had planned on making the center of the base higher but changed my mind midstream. Kind-of designed as I was working on it. For the first one of many more to come, I learned a lot I am pleased with the result. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the explanation.  I cannot tell from the picture.  What is the effect of this up close and personal?

Cal

Arty looks good to me. I like it. I like to do two stage etching. It gives the piece a lot more depth.

• Like 2

Thanks for the explanation.  I cannot tell from the picture.  What is the effect of this up close and personal?

Cal

It gives it better depth and a frosted effect also.

• Like 1

I've been asked to make more edge lit glass. They will probably be other scenes or sayings(simple text). How much should I charge for a 5" x 5" piece? I was thinking around $35-$45 each. This includes, cutting, sanding, beveling, and sandblasting the glass. Then cutting the bases from a 2 x 4 board, shaping, sanding, varnishing, and wiring up the led's in the base. That just about covers all the steps. Thanks.  

• Like 1

It looks great!

Sounds cheap for all the work to be honest. I would think at least $50 would not be out of line for a custom one that is not too involved.

The only question I have, is does it project light up through the top of the glass?

It looks great!

Sounds cheap for all the work to be honest. I would think at least $50 would not be out of line for a custom one that is not too involved.

The only question I have, is does it project light up through the top of the glass?

It will be bottom lit using a 6 LED strip which will light up the entire etching and the glass edges.

Yep, I'm asking if light makes it through the top and up onto a ceiling? (or someones eyes if viewed from above it)

I doubt it does, never looked.  Just enough light to light up the glass.