younameitvc

Vinyl wrinkling during shipping

I am using GreenStar by USCUTTER as my vinyl of choice. I recently started selling items that I needed to roll into tubes. I have been getting a lot of bad feedbacks because the decals are being unraveled and have tons of air pockets and wrinkles. I am using R-Tape as my mask. When the decal is rolled the mask is perfectly flat, no wrinkles, no bubbles. It seems like the mask is not adhering to the backing paper so when rolled it lifts and then becomes wrinkled and air pocketed. My customers are not experts on vinyl and are just ruining their decal upon receiving because they try and squeegee them out. It never did this before and I have been using the GreenStar vinyl for awhile.

HELP? 

Tricks, Tips?

Best way to inform customers this is normal? Or is it not normal?

How tight are you rolling it?  How big is the decal and what tube are you shipping in?

Cal

not super tight. First complaint the decal was 12"H x 30"w. Other is Ram Bed Stripes 11"W x 48"W . Shipping in 2"x24" kraft tubes.

way too tight of a roll with app tape on the vinyl - go up to the 10x12x12 priority box or bigger if needed

• Like 1

. I roll all of my decals loosely, in 6" open top boxes.  I buy my boxes at Uline..I don't ever have shipping problems.. Pay the money to ship a decent product, so it arrives great for your buyer... Figure your shipping boxes into your price...

• Like 1

I ship large decals all the time and never ran into issues like this. I try to use a flattened box if applicable rather than a tube. Try a different app tape such as R-Tape it may hold up better.

I ship large decals all the time and never ran into issues like this. I try to use a flattened box if applicable rather than a tube. Try a different app tape such as R-Tape it may hold up better.

They said they are using R-Tape as their mask...

They said they are using R-Tape as their mask...

Dur dur dur I guess it helps for me to read lol. I would think the R-Tape would keep it from damage but I guess I was wrong  :huh:

Part of the issue could be the "vinyl of choice". Even though this is the USCutter forum we tend to be a little brutal in our remarks about that vinyl. Try a better brand of vinyl combined with the other tips to achieve success. The effect your clients are experiencing is called tunneling and it will happen on any vinyl if it's rolled too tight but the thick green star stuff is more susceptible. I use GS for sandblast resist and to line shelves in my kitchen. 

• Like 5

2" tube is too small. I use 3" tubes, 4" tubes, & 6"x6"x24" boxes. Even in a 4" tube, some designs might form tunnels in the tape. Anything small enough to ship flat goes in a rigid photo mailer.

Here is an image of one I just rolled up and left overnight to show you what it does. Now I just started using these 2" tubes. Before I was using other methods and never really got a complaint unless the USPS was careless and bent it. I before was just folding them around cardboard and putting into a 12.5x19 bubble mailer and stamping do not bend on it. Never really had issues. I thought these would be more sturdy and less likely to damage. So Im guessing rolling too tight is just a no no.

20150417_100818_zpslryysdmg.jpg

Selling copyrighted images is a bigger  NO NO.....If your selling that Chevy Bowtie.  Just a heads up...

No not selling that. Just cut that and masked it to roll as an example. The ones I'm selling that im rolling up and having problems with are custom ram bed stripes 11x48 and custom duramax/dirtymax windshield banners that are 5x44

I was'nt going to waste 48" to roll up and show since it would get ruined. Figured I roll something I wouldnt mind getting ruined  ;D

• Like 1

show some pictures of them..  If your selling something that says RAM,, Dodge, Duramax,,,or has any type of logos   Ram Head etc.  that belongs to them, it is copyright infringement.   If your just selling a plain stripe for any truck  bed,  Your ok.

DuraMax is a copyrighted/trademarked name/logo.  Does not matter what font you make it in...  I cannot read the white one.

If you see something already made, and you  didn't originally create it, It is copyrighted.. It does not have to be registered, just created... Any BRAND name, or logo is copyrighted/trademarked.

Thats like if you come into my store and steal my original designs, I can come after you.  Because I own that design that I created.

• Like 1

On top of when researching before I started selling these out of my shop. There is atleast 5 companies in the USA named Duramax