Sign in to follow this  
Go-C Graphics

I'm hoping someone can help. Edge Lit Base

Update:  I now manufacture my own base.   Check out www.LEDLightBases.com   

I'm completely frustrated right now.  

I have an opportunity to expand my business into engraving but I'm having a really hard time finding a source for edge lit bases.   I've been trying for the past 3 week to develop a process to make bases but I'm completely failing in coming up with a quality base.  

I've been searching for the past week trying to find somewhere that I can purchase a pre-made base but I've had 0 luck. They don't even have to come wired.  I'm more then comfortable wiring the LED's up myself.  

Has anyone seen a place to purchase them at a decent price?

Can anyone help me?:huh:??    

I've tried searching so many key word terms and have still turned up nothing.  

I see people using edge lit bases all over ebay and estsy I just can't find where they are getting them from.   

show a picture of what you mean.. I don't even know what your talking about..  but I am good at finding things. LOL

• Like 1

show a picture of what you mean.. I don't even know what your talking about..  but I am good at finding things. LOL

Just google it  LOL

lighted-room-sign.jpg

Just things I am finding online

From an online site.."use Kenny Glickman of Illsigns out of Conn. He can make all sizes and width needed. He supplies all the screws and allen wrenches and drills all holes and countersinks them. I have ordered 100's from him and never a problem. His email is illsigns@gmail.com and his number is 860-712-9996. I am in no way affiliated with Illsigns, but use him exclusively because of this excellent service, great product and fair pricing. Tell him I sent you."

http://www.globalsources.com/si/AS/gzbrilliance/6008841761151/pdtl/LED-edge-lit-signs/1055616275.htm

http://www.weiku.com/Electronic-Components-Supplies/buy-edge-lit-base.html

http://ideaneon.en.alibaba.com/product/607196947-800314932/Edgelit_LED_Display_Hanging_type_led_edge_lit_base.html

Pretty sure they are custom made for most situations which is why you can't find em that easily.

Just things I am finding online

From an online site.."use Kenny Glickman of Illsigns out of Conn. He can make all sizes and width needed. He supplies all the screws and allen wrenches and drills all holes and countersinks them. I have ordered 100's from him and never a problem. His email is illsigns@gmail.com and his number is 860-712-9996. I am in no way affiliated with Illsigns, but use him exclusively because of this excellent service, great product and fair pricing. Tell him I sent you."

http://www.globalsources.com/si/AS/gzbrilliance/6008841761151/pdtl/LED-edge-lit-signs/1055616275.htm

http://www.weiku.com/Electronic-Components-Supplies/buy-edge-lit-base.html

http://ideaneon.en.alibaba.com/product/607196947-800314932/Edgelit_LED_Display_Hanging_type_led_edge_lit_base.html

Thanks Mz Skeeter.   I've seen some of those sites like Alibaba but I have  NO idea how they work.    I'm looking into them but it appears they are a link to a manufacture that you contract to build your items.    

Has anyone worked with sites like these?

Here are some examples of the bases I'm looking for.   I'm looking for whatever I can find.   Wood, plastic, Aluminum. I have no problems wiring LEDs and power, I just can't seems to make a decent base.  

il_570xN.399284533_hsx3.jpgphoto1-12.jpgman_cave_led_edge_lit_sign_by_billybob88pl1531224-corona_extra_led_edge_lit_sign

I'm awaiting samples for a different product from a Chinese supplier off of Alibaba. If you find what you're looking for they will most likely send you a free sample if you pay the freight cost. If you want blank edge lit signs, then I'm sure they would be glad to sell you blank edge lit signs. Send messages to several suppliers and see who can sell you the quantity you want for a descent price.

I'm awaiting samples for a different product from a Chinese supplier off of Alibaba. If you find what you're looking for they will most likely send you a free sample if you pay the freight cost. If you want blank edge lit signs, then I'm sure they would be glad to sell you blank edge lit signs. Send messages to several suppliers and see who can sell you the quantity you want for a descent price.

Thanks

Could you keep me updated with your experiance.  I'd be interested to learn how things go for you. 

There's a guy that shows up every now and then named rivial or something like that.   He makes some really nice work.  

I still haven't found a place where I can purchase these without importing them. But I just figured out in the last 2 day how to make one SUPER easy.   

I'll be posting about it this weekend.   Just need to finish a few up.  

You have a rough idea what you are wanting?  I would be happy to work with you and make some........I am sitting feet away from a cnc router as I type this....

This was the other place I used before....http://www.harborsales.net/Home/ProductSearchResults.aspx?quickSearch=end+cap

Wow their prices have gone up

YEA!!!!!

Though my searching I saw reference to them a few times so I signed up.    

$10 just for the end caps

$67 for a kit to edge light a small sign 12" sign.   That's just crazy.   

The only thing you would REALLY need from them would be the extrusion.....The rest you can make on your own without to much trouble id say....Once you get the extrusion , mock  up an end cap and I can either mill them or 3D print them for you.....

Go-C for my bases I use different types of wood. I just run them thru a router and put the edge that I like then run a 1/4 inch slot down the middle for the glass.

I use the 3528 led lights and put them in the groove and put the lights on top of them. When I lay out the glass I allow for the depth that they will go into the base so it doesn't cut off your design. Here is where I get my lights KATEWU20152011 on ebay. I go to flee markets and buy old 12 phone chargers for about a buck apiece and

use them for the power supply.

• Like 1

Frustrated, sometimes I will put a small piece on rubber on each end in the slot for the glass to sit on. the 3528 lights are smaller then  the others and don't put off much heat. For the rubber I get some of the stuff that they put between the glass when it is shipped. I have become good friends with the glass shop owner. He is a volunteer fireman and I will sometimes make things for their 50/50s. Make friends with a small shop owner and you will get all the free glass that you can use. He will save anything that I can get at least 11x14 1/4in. I don't even put a film over the glass in my blast cabinets I just change them when needed.

Anything ever come of this - I want to make some of these signs, but the bases are like unicorns.

I found my LED KIT on Amazon....Product is SUPERNIGHT...cost me around 7-8 per setup, been a while since I have bought any, I use them for my designs of etching and other related creations...Mind you this was a beta version of much larger project but I began small,didnt want to waste what glass I had to work with,  I posted this to show the LED element and this was a good 2 yrs ago..They are a good product for the DIY minded....VID_20151004_104315633.mp4