Sign in to follow this  
dirtrocker

ink color management

Since I have the printer ordered and know I am buying the ink and stuff from Cobra, I got to thinking about the colors when doing the transfers.

When you purchase the CIS system, is there something in the printer software that sets it up for the ink colors? 
Or is there something that comes with the ink that sets it up?

In looking, it seems that there is something that you set up the ink colors somehow to make the colors come out correct, if I'm understanding it correctly.

And forgive me if it's been addressed in the forum, but the search came up empty.

Do you ever do a test sheet to check your colors?

I think you are referring to profiles.

Different substrates have different "Profiles".

I do believe Cobra has the profiles for many different substrates.

Sue2

• Like 1

You can request the standard color profiles from their website - https://www.cobraink.com/Color%20Control/Profile%20Request%20form.html

They used to have a huge list of color profiles that you could just download, but I imagine less reputable dealers must have been helping themselves to Cobra's profiles rather than creating their own - now you have to request that they be sent to you...

Once you the the profiles installed, you'll need to use software that has an advanced printing dialog (Illustrator, PhotoShop, CorelDraw, Corel PhotoPaint, etc.) with a Color tab so that you can pick the appropriate color profile when you go to print.   Heaven help you if you have 3 different printers configured with Cobra Inks as you'll have a lot of profiles you have to pick from each time...

post-24492-0-17454100-1428871781_thumb.p

• Like 1

Profiles. Yes, that's what I was looking for.

That explains what I was looking for. 
Thanks.

And some ink companies you don't need profiles. I have used the Epson profile on every substrate and never had to change the profile.

• Like 1

And some ink companies you don't need profiles. I have used the Epson profile on every substrate and never had to change the profile.

I don't NEED to use the color profiles, but they do make subtle differences in how some colors come out, especially the differences between a non-opaque material (like polyester cloth or glass) vs. a truly opaque surface, like coated aluminum.

Coated aluminum that's my favorite. I wish I could find the glass mug I did with this ink but some how it eludes me to show how this ink doesn't really need an ICC. Oh well life goes on.

So Epson burned me on the 7510, so I lost my patience and just decided to order a WF-3620 printer and CIS with sub ink from Cobra. If I need to go to a wide format later, I'll just go ahead and buy the whole set up from Cobra and save myself a ton of headaches.

Plus it free'd up a bunch of money for other stuff.  ;D

How did they burn you? And everybody says If I need to go wide format later, its always cheaper to go big first then wait till you have to buy another printer. Found that the 7610 is $1191.00 on the Epson store.

• Like 1

I ordered the 7510 on their outlet thing on ebay. $109.00, I couldn't pass it up.

About the day I thought it should be showing up, I get one of those "we're sorry, the item you ordered is out of stock." emails.
We apologize for the inconvenience, here's your money back, blah blah blah.

Do you know that when you throw a keyboard against the wall, all of those little letter keys go in a hundred different directions?
Not saying I know that from experience, just one of those trivia things.  :huh:

You are right about the wide format. I should have gone with one, but it gives me an excuse to have a smaller printer for cups and drinkware and later when I get the heat press, use the excuse that I need a wide format printer. 

You see, us guys with wives who are "in charge" of the money have to plan and plot for this kind of thing.

Some know what I'm talking about. LOL!

I ordered the 7510 on their outlet thing on ebay. $109.00, I couldn't pass it up.

About the day I thought it should be showing up, I get one of those "we're sorry, the item you ordered is out of stock." emails.

We apologize for the inconvenience, here's your money back, blah blah blah.

Wow, what's weird.  I've ordered 3 printers from them now and they've all been fine and there were no issues or delays...

Yeah, kind of sucked.

Their ebay page won't even let you order one now.

I had really hoped to get that one, but I'm ok with the one I plan on getting from Cobra.
It will allow me to get things figured out and used to working with the sub stuff and then get the wide format.
I know, I'll regret it, but I'm pretty sure I'll have a hundred or so cups sold right away, not to mention countless shot glasses.  ;D

The great thing about sublimation is its almost a no brainer. The outcome is as good as the image the customer gives you. You can always boost up the dpi to make the photo clearer. Make sure you know your design program(s), always print on the bright side of the paper (it releases the ink better), follow the image and bleed section of the templates if you use them, and always, always print in reverse/ mirror.

So I finally have it mostly on it's way.

Cups Mugs, shot glasses and wraps from Conde.

Printer, ink, CIS and transfer paper from Cobra. 
And by the way, the customer service at Cobra is awesome people.

But man, shipping on mugs, shot glasses and the like are brutal. :huh: 
Thinking I might re-think the poly mugs and sleeve.  ;D

Haven't even gotten started and I know I'll burn through a case of mugs right away.
It's amazing how many people want their "babies"  (Harley, Indian, Norton and Triumph mostly) on their mugs. 
And some even want their children and grandchildren on them. ROFL!

So I finally have it mostly on it's way.

Cups Mugs, shot glasses and wraps from Conde.

Printer, ink, CIS and transfer paper from Cobra. 

And by the way, the customer service at Cobra is awesome people.

But man, shipping on mugs, shot glasses and the like are brutal. :huh: 

Thinking I might re-think the poly mugs and sleeve.  ;D

Haven't even gotten started and I know I'll burn through a case of mugs right away.

It's amazing how many people want their "babies"  (Harley, Indian, Norton and Triumph mostly) on their mugs. 

And some even want their children and grandchildren on them. ROFL!

I have a customer who was badly injured in an auto accident and received a sizable cash settlement from the courts.  Every year he buys a brand new, top of the line Harley (trading in his old one) and rides it some place unique (top of Pike's Peak, the tip of The Dragon trail (Deals Gap, NC), etc.) and gets a picture taken of him and his bike - a week later he brings me a print of the picture and has me scan it in, clean it up and sublimate it on to a 12" hardboard tile that he hangs up in his garage.

I don't understand why he doen't just frame the prints (he gets large 8x10 prints), but as long as it keeps putting money in my pockets, I won't complain!

try flat rate shipping from CoastalBusiness for mugs. $9.95