Sign in to follow this  
AjaRai

Is this still static electricity?

We just got our machine Thursday.  So far we have managed to cut about 1 out of 20 good cuts.  We have followed the instructions on USCutter's support site to ground every conceivable way.  Still the machine goes nuts on us on a regular basis.  The video shows it way better.

Any help appreciated,

Mats

Take the blade out, and use the pen.. It it completes, it is static...  The value cutters are also more limited on memory, and the best communication  is a serial cable,, serial card or Tripplite Keyspan Adapter,  that is the brand name. and known to work.

We did a pen drawing first time this happened. Pen was perfect. Have had good and bad cuts, doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. So frustrated!!

Looking at your video I am unsure of the grounding. You do mention that your ground wire on the vinyl goes to the ground in your outlet. All the other ground straps you have, are they also tied into the house ground (I was unsure of that)?

My old cutter did that every once in a while. I had gone through several new cables and usb converters to get past the issue.

Also what cutting program are you using. I have read in several places that some of the programs in trial mode make random cuts and random sizes.

I don't have static issues here but have also seen a tinsel type material draped across the vinyl as a ground not just leaving it to a little end of bare wire.

Can't think of anything else sorry.

Good luck

Was the pen perfect every time?  Or just the 1 time that you did it?  Also it has been said on here to scratch a little paint off to get to the bare metal.

Yes, there is one cable running from the grounding nut to the ground of the outlet, though I forgot to show that in the video.

As for software, we are using a fully-registered version of Sure Cuts A Lot.

Only did the pen once as we were testing a brand new design that we wanted to make very large. Pen was perfect, so inserted blade and went for it. FAIL. We have had some success, don't let me deceive you. Some cuts are beautiful and effortless. And then there's the others.

My guess was that it was a memory issue of sorts since it fails on the more detailed items. But no computer in this house has a serial port.

This is why you buy a Tripplite Keyspan Adapter.    Just using as a reference,  Prices vary  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIPP-LITE-USA-19HS-keyspan-high-speed-usb-serial-adapter-/131433223784?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e9a07d668

You plug the USB end  of Keyspan Adapter to computer,,, then null modem cable to Keyspan Adapter. Null modem cable, then to your vinyl cutter.

That is just frustrating! So it doesn't work on the USB interface?  Why does an interface with a 480 Mb/s transfer rate not work but a decades old interface with a transfer rate of 115Kb/s work?  Why isn't this adapter included with the printer???  

Testing a new grounding over the vinyl now.

You purchased a value cutter.. They do not have true USB like the higher end cutters, Graphtec, Roland Summa etc. And also very well grounded against static.   Some people have no trouble with using the cutter on a usb connection and have never used any other type connection and others do have problems.... But a serial, serial card has always been a better connection.. The Keyspan Adapter converts the data much better and smoother to be like a true USB connection....A Belkin will also work.   This is the same problem with all value cutters, no matter who sells it. 

I own a Graphtec,  never have problems with static,, memory, tracking,,  But we pay for that..  And it pays for its self. in less scrap, time and frustration.

Also have you tried different cutting software?  If your using SCALP,  that is another hit or miss.   Maybe try the Trial of Signcut,  Or Signblazer.

• Like 1

SUCCESS, PERHAPS!

Just successfully finished a rather large decal, the same decal that failed in the video. It performed flawlessly after draping a necklace chain across the vinyl and grounding it to the grounding nut. Very happy to report that it FINALLY printed this beast for us. 

Hoping that this is the end of our troubles. Thanks so much for your help this evening. I was about to pull my hair out.

....or someone else's.

No, actually it "cut" the beast.  Please lose the word PRINTER. It's not printing,    it is cutting..It is a vinyl cutter. .  Pet Peeve on here.( Calling a vinyl cutter a printer..)    I hope it works out for you , your welcome.

• Like 1

Yeah, I keep catching myself doing that. Nope, not a printer. But printing is my background, so it flows naturally. DUH!

• Like 1

I also hope that you are prefeeding your vinyl for the amount of the order.. You should always have enough vinyl slack to do the entire order.  and never be pulling from a roll directly while cutting..... 

the wire from the plug screw to the cutter is kind of redundant because the cutter is grounded thru the 3 prong plug to the chassis  - the build up is usually in the stand and vinyl as they are insulated from the cutter in many value cutters - either with rubber feet between the cutter and stand and with plastic plugs in the end of the feed rollers - causing all sorts of problems.  either using the keyspan as skeeter mentioned or adding a true serial card to your desktop can solve a lot of issues with the value cutters.  but from reading sounds like you are getting a good handle on it. skeeter is very good at helping on a wide array of issues

• Like 1

Mz Skeeter, we aren't printing anything big enough to pre-feed it.  At this point we are just printing one row of items or just simply one item and it keeps failing. We've also tried individual sheets and it keeps doing it on those too.

dakotagrafx, we thought the same but that is what USCutter calls "super grounding" the motherboard.  Makes no sense to me either.

We thought we had it fixed but it's still cutting up our designs about every 9 out of 10 times.

Mz Skeeter, we aren't printing anything big enough to pre-feed it.  At this point we are just printing one row of items or just simply one item and it keeps failing. We've also tried individual sheets and it keeps doing it on those too.

dakotagrafx, we thought the same but that is what USCutter calls "super grounding" the motherboard.  Makes no sense to me either.

We thought we had it fixed but it's still cutting up our designs about every 9 out of 10 times.

SMH

go serial - or keyspan -you will not have all these headaches. - in a couple years after you make some money buy a graphtec with your profits

• Like 1

Also, If you are not doing so, turn off your cutter and back on after each order, so that the data is dumping from the last order.

Again my apologies, new to this and frustrated.  Will try harder to not call it a printer.

We have ordered a keyspan adapter and will go from there.

Thanks again for all your effort and help.

Watching that video brought back memories of using my MH-721. Those stepper motor sounds are unmistakable.

• Like 1