Sign in to follow this  
mabscotthandyman

Stepping up

Well I went crazy and bought a few thousand dollars of equipment. I bought a ce6000 60 some software, a couple heat presses and a few supplies. Now I need to find a store front in a busy location and make a return on my investments. I am only going to offer signs,lighted signs, banners, plastic letters and door & window lettering and a few garments. Now I have to figure out the heat press vinyl for the best type and quality for different applications.

Up untill this point I have done mostly installs and a small amount of signs and banners but now I need to sell a few jobs to pay for my equipment.

• Like 11

Well I went crazy and bought a few thousand dollars of equipment. I bought a ce6000 60 some software, a couple heat presses and a few supplies. Now I need to find a store front in a busy location and make a return on my investments. I am only going to offer signs,lighted signs, banners, plastic letters and door & window lettering and a few garments. Now I have to figure out the heat press vinyl for the best type and quality for different applications.

Up untill this point I have done mostly installs and a small amount of signs and banners but now I need to sell a few jobs to pay for my equipment.

So much for retirement lol. Congratulations!

Are there people running store fronts with simply a cutter and a couple heat presses?

I wouldn't even think about going with a store front unless I had multiple cutters (at least a small to knock off smaller decals and what not and a large one for larger item contour cutting), wide format printer (48"+ to be able to handle full color banners/signs and what not), professional heat press that I wouldn't have to worry about running large amounts of orders through, maybe some screen printing stuff for doing garments/signs and all that.

Definitely couldn't see myself throwing down many many thousands to open up a shop with only basic equipment when you then have to compete against other places that are stacked with big time equipment in the back room.

Cool man! I recommend Siser Easyweed for most applications and if the garment is stretchy or your design has thin lines I step up to Easyweed Stretch. There are a whole host of other options out there but SIser seems to be the easiest to work with and great quality. 

Way to go!  

I'm just a stone's throw away at the very top of Va.  

I don't do big signs or installs so if I can move some

sign business your way I will.

Sue2

Are there people running store fronts with simply a cutter and

I wouldn't even think about going with a store front unless I had multiple cutters (at least a small to knock off smaller decals and what not and a large one for larger item contour cutting), wide format printer (48"+ to be able to handle full color banners/signs and what not), professional heat press that I wouldn't have to worry about running large amounts of orders through, maybe some screen printing stuff for doing garments/signs and all that.

Definitely couldn't see myself throwing down many many thousands to open up a shop with only basic equipment when you then have to compete against other places that are stacked with big time equipment in the back room.

I am not interested in decals or even garments as far as that goes I will push signs, lighted signs, plastic letters and store front lettering, along with car and truck lettering. The heat presses are more for me then for retail It was only around a thousand bucks and the small one was free either the cutter. By the way I have two more cutters. The store front is for exposure and actually cheaper then most forms of advertising. And I never compete I set a price that is fair for quality work.

@ Jay I decided death would probably be my retirement I am still fairly healthy so I plan on at least another 10 years if my body will permit. ( besides I spent a good bit of time at home this winter because of the severe weather with the wife retirement is highly overrated )

@Sue thank you and thanks to every one else.

• Like 1

Death = retirement I think we may be cut from the same cloth. I run a shop with 2 cutters and a heat press and I'm growing every year. If I need print work I sub it and get it back 48 hours at the most and don't have to maintain a printer.

• Like 2

The heat presses are more for me then for retail It was only around a thousand bucks and the small one was free either the cutter. 

That's exactly what I thought when I bought our first one. We figured we would just do a few shirts for the kids. It's 80% or more of my business now. I did somewhere in the neighborhood of $12K just in garments of one sort or another last year. I have found that there are only so many people who need a sign or a vehicle lettered but EVERYONE wants a t-shirt or jersey. There is actually very high profit margins and low risk. Whoops I just screwed up 1 shirt and am out the couple bucks to do another in it's place. 

• Like 2

I don't see how running a storefront for simple stuff done on a cutter could be profitable. But hey if you can get it done then good on ya.

I don't see how running a storefront for simple stuff done on a cutter could be profitable. But hey if you can get it done then good on ya.

JeremySI like I said the store front would be more for exposure then for walk in customers.

All my contracting business us referral and repeat customers but I need exposure for signs so the store front idea plus a place to display the other products like pvc sign post kits, plastic letters etc. Plus I am too lazy to build another building at my place lol

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="jeremySI" data-cid="390933" data-time="1428832596"><p>

I don't see how running a storefront for simple stuff done on a cutter could be profitable. But hey if you can get it done then good on ya.</p></blockquote>

it's not the equipment it's the service that grows a business. I just bought a 6600 sf building in September because I outgrew my second one storefront. Most of my customers don't know I don't have a printer inter the back they just assume I do. I've seen Dan's work and I don't see him having any problems staying busy.

• Like 1

Good luck with it, I know that you will make it work.

Cal

• Like 1

it's not the equipment it's the service that grows a business. I just bought a 6600 sf building in September because I outgrew my second one storefront. Most of my customers don't know I don't have a printer inter the back they just assume I do. I've seen Dan's work and I don't see him having any problems staying busy.

Thanks Jay that reminds me you haven't ( unless I missed them ) shown us photos of you store lately.

You're correct I need to take some pics but not a ton of progress because of how busy it's been around here. I'm in the middle of converting the freight elevator to electric and slowly renovating whenever I get a chance

You're correct I need to take some pics but not a ton of progress because of how busy it's been around here. I'm in the middle of converting the freight elevator to electric and slowly renovating whenever I get a chance

I know what you mean Jay my own places get worked own last after the paying customers

• Like 1