Sign in to follow this  
ericmschwanke

Who's the contour cut master?

I just purchased a roll of printable indoor vinyl and trying to figure out the widest designs I can contour cut with it and after googling I have not found the answers I seek.

I have a US Cutter laser point II and want to know how big of an image I can contour cut. I want to start printing wall designs out and having them cut out.

I don't see an exact question here..  What is the question that has to do with a Mac and contour cutting and printed vinyl?

Sorry Skeeter. Sometimes I don't realize that the rest of the world can't read my mind. Updated the question above. Thanks!

You should be able to contour cut enough that the registration marks are inside the vinyl edge.   Your cutter specs should tell you how wide you can cut with the cutter size you have, on the vinyl you want to use.

LaserPoint II Vinyl Cutter Specifications  From UScutter support. 

MODEL 25" 35" 50"

Maximum Cut Width 23" 31.5" 47"

Maximum Cut Length 15 feet

I thought I read contouring a image was different than what I can do with just a regular vinyl cut design I send through the program. Did I lose my marbles?

Your just making a line around the printed image...to the contour of the design or an oval,eclipse, square etc...  It would depend on how big you can print...Your printer size would have to match your cutter.  Some people with cutters will contour cut say 50 printed designs at 1 time across the width and length of their vinyl..  The memory on that would depend on the cutter.

So out of my research there are a few things I have not found.

I have the US Cutter Laserpoint II

Is there a way for me to add the registration marks to an image other than using the Sign Cut program? I purchased 24-inch wide adhesive indoor printable vinyl. I work at a Camera Store and we have a big printer that takes rolls like this that I am going to send it through to make some prints. The problem I have is that I don't have the Sign Cut program on the machines at work and want to figure out if there is a way I can add the marks myself to line up the laser so it will contour my images correctly.

I understand that is the beauty of the program that comes with the cutter I own. But what are my options?

What programs do they have?  Look at their user manuals for the programs..

And you have to make sure the ink is correct for the vinyl.

You would have to add the marks IN the program you use to cut with then print it with the marks included and reload the vinyl into your cutter and proceed with the contour cut. You will have to follow the instructions for whatever cut program you use (SCALP?) as far as size and spacing and placement and clearance etc for you to get it to work. 

• Like 1

You will also have to add a cut line where you want your desired contour cut. Your cutter is only going to see the registration marks and your contour cut line the image might as well be clear as far as it is concerned. 

Yes I checked with the manufacturer and the ink is comparable with the vinyl I purchased.

I have SCAL Pro 3. Is there a Way I can throw it into the printing program with the registration marks so it sees it that way and without using the program to physically print the image using whatever printing utility they use in our Photo Lab at work?

You should be able to export your file in some printable version but you might want to be sure it stays the same size or you'll have issues. 

I was wondering that also. I am going to have to play around to see if everything works out properly that way.

Questions questions questions.

So I am going to be exporting my image from SCAL 3 with the marks to give the file to print at work... I am just having the issues with these color profiles while exporting.

This is the image from .AI and than the next is the exported image from SCAL 3

post-91324-0-23338600-1428970043_thumb.j

post-91324-0-73900200-1428970079_thumb.j

You should be able to print the contour marks for SCALP 3 from a plug-in in AI unless I miss my guess. I can for SignCut Pro so i would expect the same concept.