Sign in to follow this  
lablover

Cover sheet question

So, my 140 towels job is gonna get started and I have a question

Sublimation.  I lay down towel...no pre press, lay sublimation image side down on towel..cover with parchment press away.  I have to do this 140 times, do I need a new piece of parchment every single time?  I know the gasses can spread if not careful.

I have one teflon sheet to my name right now.

I have a piece of foam on the bottom so I don't get to bad platen mark edges on the towels.   I'd really like to use the teflon on the top and just keep using it without having to cut 140 separate pieces of Parchment..So more or less forget the parchment  :)

Open for suggestions

Joe

I think you are supposed to pre-press to remove the moisture in the towel Joe. I found some uncoated butcher paper at a restaurant supply store cheap ($25-$30 for a big roll) and got the little metal stand that lets you rip off a piece pretty easily. I have not done enough production with the sublimation to truly answer your question because I have so far used a new sheet op top every time. The paper under I have often used a few presses because I could see there was no transfer onto it. 

It would be better with the parchment paper due to the gas escaping, you get that on your Teflon sheet and reuse it you may have dye migration to the other towels. With parchment paper you can throw it out which is a good idea. Yes its a headache however its cheaper than messing up a towel.

And just to add to Goose if you cant find butcher paper or a restaurant supply store find a place that sells plotters and buy a roll of plotter paper I think it cost me 15.00 for a roll. 

Fair enough

Do I use parchment/Butcher cut to 15x15 the size of the platen or do I only need to cut it to the size of the Sublimation paper  roughly 8x8

I would think just enough to cover the sub job

Oh as far as the pre-press..I see Conde does not recommend it in the instructions..Different towel but no pre seems to work ok

• Like 1

If the transfer sheet is larger than the towel, so that no towel is exposed, then re-using the parchment paper over and over until it's too wrinkly to continue should be OK.

If, the towel is larger than the transfer sheet so portions are exposed, then you want to make sure that you're cover sheet is clean each time as any out-gassing can get on the cover sheet and then transfer on to the next item you press.

Dye can out-gas onto Teflon - it comes off pretty easily, but it happens. I just pressed a puzzle yesterday and when I opened the press, I realized I had put the teflon sheet on top of the print and then the paper towel I was using for a cover sheet* on top of the teflon - and now I had a nice translucent copy of my artwork on the underside of my teflon sheet...  Just had to let it cool and clean it off with some Cobra Ink printer cleaning solution.

If you're not doing puzzles, why not?  They're cheap to buy and ship for cheap, too and then you can try and upsell them on a matching tin to hold the puzzle pieces!  I use mostly the 7.5" x 9.5" ones from LRI that are $1.99 each, although I have a few of the larger 10.5" x 13.5" size, too.  I ordered the large ones originally because some one asked if I could get a larger size that they could use as a signable guest list at their wedding - and they're only $3.00 each, so why not?

*I use paper towels when doing puzzles as it helps to absorb the moisture cooked out of the cardboard puzzle and helps wick it away vs. trapping it in a sauna like parchment paper would.  

• Like 4

I'll have to try a puzzle out OW. I see them out there and it seems like something that would sell pretty good. 

I think my question would be - how many towels do I have to ruin with some ink resublimating from the paper being reused to make the reuse not seem worth it for the couple of pennies it cost . . . just my take on it.

I think my question would be - how many towels do I have to ruin with some ink resublimating from the paper being reused to make the reuse not seem worth it for the couple of pennies it cost . . . just my take on it.

yea yea yea...Point taken...LOL

As far as the puzzles...Hmmm, gotta try those!  One more thing to get into right!  I have to say the towels are going pretty well...and when you can get them at .99 each thats awesome

Yeah Puzzles are cool and Sams sells like 1,000 feet for around $20.00

post-2057-0-80163600-1428551823_thumb.jp

Yeah Puzzles are cool and Sams sells like 1,000 feet for around $20.00

So are you saying leave it to Sams? to do that is  :)

LOL No I'm saying Sams has a 1,000 feet of butcher paper for twenty dollars,,,, ;D ;D

• Like 2