Sign in to follow this  
KYSIGN

Sealing vinyl on ceramic?

My wife wants a vinyl monogram on a ceramic ring/earring dish. I'm looking for a good and preferably cheap sealant that's durable/water resistant. I tried some Krylon clear acrylic spray but it softened the vinyl and even after 3 coats I could peel the vinyl off easily. I also tried some water based acrylic floor finish but it came off within seconds using only cold water even after curing for 48 hours. I guess I need a mild solvent based poly or acrylic. I could go epoxy as a last resort since it's so expensive. I welcome your thoughts and suggestions. Thank you.

How did you apply the krylon? Heavy coats or several light coats? I ask because I've used it several times with good results bUT very light coats and dry to touch between coats. Heavy wet coats seem to attack the vinyl.

I've had similar experience with Krylon. If it's attacking the vinyl in large doses,

it's doing the same with light coats, just not immediately evident.

Why does it have to be clear coated at all ? The vinyl itself is "durable/ water resistant".

I had trouble with very light coats of Krylon but it's probably because the designs are so small.

Yes, the vinyl is durable but jewelry gets snagged on the edges of the design and eventually causes lift.

I'll try some poly. I was hoping someone knew a type that worked and how well it holds up over time.

Thank you all for your help.