Dakotagrafx

Any Hams out there?

just took my technicians test cold yesterday - anyone on here into it?  sure the radio will take a couple weeks to get here.

• Like 1

I have had my Tech Plus license or whatever it was called before they got rid of the morse code requirement since I was 15 wow that was 25 years ago I feel old now.  I picked up a Baofeng dual band last year to see if wanted to get back into it but got bored of the repeaters pretty quick.  I would not mind getting my general class licenese and doing more on hf though.

• Like 1

cool - was interested back in electronics class in 1979 but never had the ambition to master the morse part of it so it never happened.  a friend without a clue called me a couple weeks ago to help him program his Baofeng radios and he told me they had done away with the morse part and the radios were only $30 - holy cow what a difference a few decades make.  so ordered a BaoFeng BF-F8HP and will see how much it holds my attention before moving up to the general class.  cool to find onthers on here with the same interest - we have such a diverse group here with such great talent. 

I heard they did away with code, in my eyes your not a true ham unless you know code.

mark-s

My first computer was a TRS 80 rigged up to send RTTY .

Ran a Kenwood 520S with a Swan  4kw linear amp.

4 element beam antenna on a 80ft. crankup tower.

That was back in the early 80`s

I have been a geek all my life. (before the word geek was used)

When I was a kid use to build crystal radios, my antenna was the blinds on my bedroom window.(second story)

mark-s

• Like 1

I remember the trs-80 I was managing a store when they came out and had fun with those - looking back it was pretty useless compared to todays phones.  built the crystal radios before taking 2 years of radio and tv repair class - 2 of us were the class hot shots - we finished out modules so early we also finished the modules for the other 2 segments of the class that didn't include us.  I went to state competition in VICA while my best friend went to nationals.  back then building heath kit projects was the hot ticket - wish they was still around but todays kids wouldn't have a clue with that stuff

• Like 1

I have a couple radios but haven't gotten around to doing the test so I've never hit the TX buttons. I'm a single dad so when I think I may have time to schedule taking the test, my schedule always changes. Plus where I live, one of the best arguments against getting into ham radio is listening to the local repeaters. But I'll get my license sooner or later, I want to actually do things with it instead of chatting. I'm a weather nerd and in Skywarn so I'd do that on the radio and I was talking to a guy yesterday who said he's assisted some search and rescues. That would be interesting.

I had my Technician level license, but let it lapse because I never used it.  I used to be KB9RAK, back in the day.

I actually got into vinyl cutting because of ham radio. I used to work part time for a computer store in Indiana and would spend the weekends traveling the mid-west and setting up at computer shows.  We sold parts to build your own computers - motherboards, RAM, processors, cases, speakers, etc and because the company bought in such large quantities, we had some of the best prices and would sell most of what we could stuff into an 18-20' box truck every weekend.   One weekend we were at the Indiana State Fairgrounds for a ham radio show and the booth across from us had a table top vinyl cutter, a few color choices and was selling vinyl lettering so you could add your call letters to your vehicle or ham shack.

I was fascinated by the equipment and years later when I went looking for something I could do to supplement my part-time income, I remembered the vinyl cutter from that show and started checking into it.  I bought one of the el-cheapo packages from Sign Warehouse on ebay, realized very quickly that it wasn't good enough for what I wanted to do and went searching online - found this forum, which led to me buying my Graphtec system from US Cutter.

• Like 1

just took my technicians test cold yesterday - anyone on here into it?  sure the radio will take a couple weeks to get here.

Congrats on that! :bear:  I hope you move on to General to hit the HF instead of just local repeaters. For the money, Baofengs can't be beat. Been using one for years. Now I'm using the second one :blink::lol:

Yes, also a Ham... :ph34r::bear:

• Like 1

ordered the study book Bearly - not sure I can get it done before the cruise but after that I will try I am sure. - to make the next test I think I have 3 weeks and the study book is coming from california by what I bet is media mail

If you can pass the Tech, General is not all that difficult, but there are things you have to remember from the book. Well worth it though. I did manage to talk all over the world on 10 meters with my Tech, but with a General I can do it just about any time I'm in the mood instead of waiting for just the right conditions.

Maybe we can get a vinyl net going on HF so we can actually talk to each other? :lol::bear:

• Like 1

So have you been up and running ?

I have the book and am studying is all these extra hours I have on my hands, <sarcasm>

• Like 1

Congrats on passing the general test. In case you didn't know today and tomorrow is field day. Check on ARRL.net for the sight closest you.

• Like 1

Congrats on passing the general test. In case you didn't know today and tomorrow is field day. Check on ARRL.net for the sight closest you.

went to our local clubs field day for about 4 hrs today - very cool

passed my general license test this morning yippee

Congrats!!! ;D:bear:

Now get some gear and get on HF.. Michigan might be difficult to reach from here, maybe on 20 or 40 meters. But the rest of the world is out there waiting to hear from you!

• Like 1

I Finally got tired of falling asleep reading my ARRL manual and signed up for a speed class and got my technicians license last Saturday. Just got my call sign assigned from the ccc today. Pretty stoked to have that over so I can enjoy learning the ropes without the pressure. The class was pretty cool. They had a 66 page syllabus with the entire pool of questions but only the right answers and we read through them all 3 times in 6 hours. Worked through lunch even, then the testing crew showed up and we ran through the test. I missed 1. It was a great way to get the test out of the way. The idea was you just study for the test and get it passed so you can learn at your own pace while you are able to utilize the services. I was glad I had read through the manual first though because my mind is the type that actually likes to know the why of all the answers and it helped having that bare bones basic stuff in my head before going through all the test questions and answers. 

• Like 1

Congrats to you WildGoose. Unfortunately, there are many "hams" out there (or here in my area) that don't bother learning anything else beyond the test. You can tell once they're on the air... Now you have to go ahead and get your General. Don't wait and start studying while it's still fresh in your mind. Then you can get on HF and talk the world!

• Like 1

congrats goose - the online study guides helped me a lot on passing the general - still dont have a hf rig yet but winter will be more my time I think to learn even more

• Like 1