Sign in to follow this  
halpain17

Some work I got. Thoughts and opinions

So I have a guy who wants me to sticker his boat and I thought I'd share just to see what everyones opinion was.

I dont do printing and haven't done a wrap so I kind of avoid jobs like this until someday when I can do my own wrap and get my feet wet. (I did have someone ive me a free novajet 700 yesterday so maybe I can use it and learn a little bit....)

Anyway. he wants snow camo, with 4 colors (white, light grey, dark grey and black) on the fencing around the boat. But the panel on it has "r-panel like ridges going horizontally".

I assumed it would be too tough to lay anything horizontally due to that, so instead I made the following deal:

For a $450 bid, He is going to paint the fencing white and I am going to stick the other 3 color on top of that so i have room in between to correct and restart my vinyl application if i make mistakes.

Any comments? I think it'd be fairly easy.

Pics of his boat both before and including approval artwork are below:

11053435_729961221303_693505192553456891

11088233_729961291163_121997301304569771

Remember to let the paint gas off before applying vinyl. I tell the guys I do dump trucks for 30 days after paint for vinyl to be applied

Remember to let the paint gas off before applying vinyl. I tell the guys I do dump trucks for 30 days after paint for vinyl to be applied

Most quality paints 1 tell them 2 weeks. If you can still smell the paint I won't do it and I've had a few econo jobs that I could smell in the trunk after a month

I did tell him we were gonna give the paint time to set before application.

I wouldn't mind having it printed. But I don't really know any guys to outsource that to.

• Like 1

I did tell him we were gonna give the paint time to set before application.

I wouldn't mind having it printed. But I don't really know any guys to outsource that to.

look no further than right here on the forum. Dakotagrafix does all my printing.

• Like 3

a real wrap vinyl is going to blow that budget right out of the water - cast wrap vinyl is pricey - might have got away with cheaper stuff if it was flat and not the r panel  - and after applying all that to those shaped panels betting the price is going to seem cheap.  heck the flat stuff on the front I would stick printed 3651 or 3165 but not the ones with deep ridges

I say r panel type... After looking more closely its not that deep of ridges. Just slight directional changes.

Are you going to "sticker" it or put high quality, cut (or printed) vinyl decals on there?  There is a big difference in perceived quality, and thus the price you can charge.

He better be careful with that camo they may not see him on that blue water

somehow i knew that was coming and STILL laughed.

Looks really good. Did you give the customer an expectancy on life of it, cuz for 651 I don't see it having that long of a life with the sun beating down on it directly and reflected from the water as well as all the water getting on it..

i did speak with him about the differences in the vinyl options, as well as the needed time frame between painting it and applying the vinyl. He was pretty understanding and didn't seem to have too high of expectations. I think however in the future I'll probably push cast vinyl more as opposed to calendared, as well as possibly printing.

The worst thing will probably the shrinkage of the film and then all the nasties in the water sticking to that exposed adhesive. Job on your end looks great though.

• Like 1

I know this should probably be in a new thread but wondering... I had someone give me an Encad NovaJet 700 the other day. I know I have read that those are high maintenance, but it was free and it seems to work fine. I am in the process of cleaning it as it is dirty and dusty, but I do not have any ink, or media for it.

So I am trying to figure out how to test it cheap and make sure it works and then also wondering if it is even worth using.

I assumed I can run something through it to both clean the ink lines and test it at the same time.... then I figure Id need some form of aqueous friendly media.... and maybe a way to laminate it if using for outdoor stuff. any thoughts?

Also, i think "GS ink" for it is like $500 for all 4 colors.... almost seems not worth it, since I'd have to use it every other day or so to keep it from drying up, maybe?

if it was usable... could anyone guess the life expectancy of some printed media from it? both maybe laminated and not?

TIA guys!!!

water based - even the gs ink - low resolution and won't be long before the belt shreds if it hasn't been replaced lately.  I may have some gs magenta left somewhere from back 6 years ago when I dabbled in them and resold them - I never sold any graphics reproduced by one though

Hmmm. Yea I'm considering cleaning it up and selling it. I think it looks to be costly and isn't gonna be good for much sign use to compensate for that.