Primal Decals

Pricing Calcs

I posted this in a comment but realized the post was kinda old, so im posting it here.....I've been using these and lately ive been questioning myself  on it.....So I was hoping someone could check these out.I got the Vinyl QuickCalc and the My Roll Calc from here somewhere awhile ago and i want to make sure they are doing the math correctly for breakdown etc...The main one I'm concerned about is in the Vinyl QuickCalc Spreadsheet one. It wont let me add the tax and I'm not sure why under the pricing page.When i put what the tax is here and then go to do a mockup sale , it doesn't do the tax,Tax here is 8.25% .If someone can modify it to make it work that would be great.And please check that the breakdown of wholesale cost is correct by my numbers if you could. I have a feeling its wrong and like i said i got this from the forum awhile ago when i first came on board and Ive tried added my material,costs etc so far.I dont want to screw myself on cost..Thanks to all..

My Roll Vinyl Calculator 2.zip

Vinyl QuickCalc Spreedsheet V1.5 upload.xls.zip

Any info on these would be helpful from anyone. I also need to know how to input the math for doing tax as well.. thnx

I was curious and inserted a few numbers from a couple of past projects on it.

The first bottom line it gave me was half what I charged the client, and I price very fairly.

With the second project figures, the bottom line was 25 to 30% lower than my figures.

While briefly searching for the reasons for the discrepancy I realized it didn't allow for

a difficulty factor.  What took x hours on one project may take 3x on a (somewhat) similar one.

Experience and understanding of the time and effort required for a given project cannot

be replicated with formulas and a spreadsheet. and if you do know the correct numbers,

what do I need the spreadsheet for? I'm already highly skilled with a pencil, paper, and calculator.

Don't get me wrong, those tools may have there place... if for me at all it's after the job is completed and

checking over how well I was able to anticipate all aspects and bring it in on time.

Coming up with the correct estimate or quote for a project basically requires (at least) 3 things.

First, having payed attention to how long it take us to complete different tasks.

This will likely be different for each individual and fluctuate with the different variables of each project.

Second, being able to mentally walk through a project and recording what needs to be done and/or how long it will take to do it.

Thirdly, knowing the minimum shop rate to charge for different tasks.

Each one of the above will involve some past experience. You've got to hang in there and pay yer dues.

There is no software that can (or should) take the place of experience and good judgement.

Just my 2 pennies.

• Like 2

I didn't insert any numbers to try the thing out but it's a little too much congestion for my taste. I built something similar a long while back and later decided there were way too many variables to keep it simple. I stopped tracking app tape altogether. If you are sticking it in inventory by the yard or feet then you end up spending more time trying to keep track of it that applying it. Now I just bring it in as COGS and let my overall mark-up cover the expense. I don't have to worry about tracking it or charging specifically for it. At this point after several years of experience I use a combination of rule of thumb pricing and perceived value to come up with most of my prices. If it's something a little more complicated such as a self standing property sign with 4x4's and stuff I take the time to price it all out and add the mark-up along with a guess on time to build. I have never lost money on a single item although one year I DID do about 500 hats way too cheap and only made like $4/hr. That sucked but was a lesson well learned. 

• Like 2

Thnx guys. i got these awhile ago from here, and i wasnt sure if it would help or not for being a newbie, im just trying to make sure what i charge is more than what my costs are. so i was hoping these were gonna help.. my biggest concern was breakdown.i wish i knew more about Spreadsheets etc, and i wish there was a difficulty added as well.. Thanks for your info buds. ;D

Your difficulty is going to fall into that rule of thumb kind of thinking and is really hard to know until you get some experience. Believe me, you'll learn! LOL Removal for instance is a real beeaattchh and always, always, always takes about 2-3 times longer than it looks like it will. The rare times when things just pull up are so few and far between you'll think it's a second Christmas and if you have charged properly it kind of will be. You can't get a feel for that kind of thing without being involved in some form or fashion. Now that I have been doing this for a few years I truly wish I had spent a little time in my youth in some sign shop somewhere. I'm sure there are still a hundred tricks of the trade that the old timers and pro's know that I may never learn. 

• Like 2

Hey Skarekrow or anyone,, How would you use the difficulty scale for cost or whats the price range for each level or ballpark area to give me an idea.Plus do you guys charge like a number above what your cost is like if a decal comes out to be like (if this is correct on a guess) a 2"tx10L is like .20 cents do you add 25% or something that gives you a fair value to sale at? I know everyone charges differently but there has to be some sort of start number that gets you on your way..Thanks Sorry for all the questions.I just dont want to screw myself lol.