Sign in to follow this  
dirtrocker

Sublimation graphics. Vector or png?

Epson has the WF7610 in their outlet store on ebay for $119.00 with free shipping - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epson-WorkForce-WF-7610-All-in-One-Printer-/191541381816?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c98c18ab8

These are factory refurbished printers that come with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty and a 14 day no questions asked return policy.

I've bought a few printers this way and have had no problems, nor could I tell they were ever used - they all looked brand new coming out of the box.

I'm with OW

my refurbished WF-7520 has been working great.

Epson WorkForce WF-7610 All-in-One Printer

Estimated delivery Fri, Mar 27

The cartridges are 40 dollars cheaper than the CIS system. Just not sure which way to go. But i need to order the ink today so everything is here by Friday to play on the weekend.

greenie

I don't mess with cartridges any more (with the exception of my WFP-4020 - each cartridges hold 4 fluid ounces of ink - so it's basically an internal CIS) as I got tired of having a cartridge run out half-way through a large page, plus with the CIS kit I can tell at a glance without turning anything on exactly how much ink I have left.

I also don't need to keep a box of rubber gloves on hand (no pun intended) to avoid stained fingers from trying to syringe ink every couple of weeks, vs just dumping from a squeeze bottle directly into a tank every 6 months.

post-24492-0-62592100-1427121274_thumb.j

• Like 2

Yes and unfortunately with the 7610/7620 carts you have to let it run out before a refill will work. I tried catching things before they got low but the printer won't acknowledge that so with carts you have to spend a little more time monkeying around. I had my tank system WF30 still mess up prints when it thought it was out though so I think either way you are going to lose a print here and there. So far I have not had any clogging with my pigment printer and carts and had several heads clog with the tanks so I'm not minding the carts this time around. Cobra said they switched tubing on all the new stuff and it's supposed to be better than what they used to use so maybe it's less problematic but my WF30 died trying to clear a clog and hit the limit allowed by the printer memory. I was mad enough I just put it on a shelf and bought the 7610. 

Yes and unfortunately with the 7610/7620 carts you have to let it run out before a refill will work. I tried catching things before they got low but the printer won't acknowledge that so with carts you have to spend a little more time monkeying around. I had my tank system WF30 still mess up prints when it thought it was out though so I think either way you are going to lose a print here and there. So far I have not had any clogging with my pigment printer and carts and had several heads clog with the tanks so I'm not minding the carts this time around. Cobra said they switched tubing on all the new stuff and it's supposed to be better than what they used to use so maybe it's less problematic but my WF30 died trying to clear a clog and hit the limit allowed by the printer memory. I was mad enough I just put it on a shelf and bought the 7610. 

You should be able to reset the wf30. I had a wf1100 do that and found the directions online to reset it.

And yet another question.

So the wife asks me how many harley tanks I need to do to get the stuff I want for this.
I tell her about 4. She then tells me I better get busy.
Why? Cause the T-shirt press would be kind of nice to have.
Hmmm.

So the question is, would you go for a 15x15 or a larger press?

If the choice is a 15x15 quality, brand name press vs. a larger, cheaper quality press, go for the better brand name.

If you're going to get a 13x19" printer, it would be a shame to only be able to use 13x15" of the page, though...

You should be able to reset the wf30. I had a wf1100 do that and found the directions online to reset it.

Yeah I was reading up on it but decided I was wanting a bigger format anyway so I just moved on. It's setting in my garage on a shelf. I salvaged all the ink from the tanks and have been using it up in the carts. I don't mind the carts and my WF30 messed up a print every time it thought it was out of ink too so there isn't that big of a downside just a little more attention time. 

• Like 1

I had one of the auto open clamshell presses that uscutter sells come through my store a while back a I must say it seemed very well built. The only real issue was the temp was off 40 degrees but that is what the calibration adjustment is for. Seems like it was quite a big bigger than 15 x15 but for dye sub work I highly recommend a swing away style to handle thicker objects with more even pressure.

• Like 2

I just had to open this thread. Now I wanna get that WF 7610 and a CIS for it. Any better/cheaper place to get sublimation ink than cobra? Think it is time to do some stuff with drinking devices.

There are cheaper inks BUT they have no support in place to help with color profiles and general troubleshooting like cobraink does.

Look at how much a set of sublimation ink cartridges for a Ricoh cost, then look again at Cobra Ink's prices and you'll see that they're not all that expensive.

You can print a metric crap-ton of pages out of a 4 oz. set of inks - your transfer paper will end up costing you more than the ink does on a per page basis.

Looks like it will be much cheaper to buy a CIS off ebay for like $30-40 instead of spending $120+ for one from Cobra. Probably comes from the same Chinese factory he gets his.

I know all tubing is not created equal and even Cobra has made some recent changes in order to provide the best clog free operation possible. I talked to them about this just a few months ago and they had recently changed out their tubing product so you might consider all the angles. 

Ehhhh $80 difference for some tubing. Find that hard to grasp. I have ordered from Cobra before just for a wf30 I was using to bulk print some documents I had and the guy seems like he runs a great business but when it comes down to it his items are nothing more than the usual overseas stuff you find being sold all over the place.

Wrong his ink is made in the USA (At least the high temp ink)  I could also say his support but you know what?  He gives that support to anyone that needs it even if they didn't buy it from him that's  the type of guy he is... Just Saying ...

I bought a Chinese CISS for my old WF1100. It included no documentation, just a video in the ebay ad - which was for a different printer, and so almost useless.

I ended up taking a Dremel tool to the printer to make it work with the lid closed and not pinch shut the tubing.

When I got my first Cobra Ink CISS kit I noticed that it came with gloves, a priming syringe, all necessary sticky pads, an alcohol prep for cleaning surfaces, and a DVD specific to my printer and kit and it wasn't a 3 minute video put together by someone who was in a hurry and didn't speak - it was one that you could actually follow along and use as a guide for the entire process.

Every adhesive clip is alread on the tubing in the right place, or the tubing is marked so you can add it yourself. You don't have to measure or estimate anything - it's already done for you.

There is a big difference between what you get from Richard and what you get cheap off of ebay.

For example, I didn't know that there needs to be two levels of ink in each tank - and I didn't know that the tanks should be mounted at a specific height relative to the print heads. That little bit of info makes a huge difference in how well your CISS will work - don't expect to get that with your Chinese kits.

I've done a lot of reading, checking sites and looking for the "best deal" and in the end, I am most likely going to go with Cobra.
Why? As was stated, it is a pre-made kit. No modifying, no fabricating and no hassles.
Plus, you are dealing with a company that has a pretty good track record in this "hobby"/industry.

As a mechanic by trade, I hate buying modification parts and then having to fabricate things to fit.

I've found over the years that quality companies will build things to fit right.
Cheap companies sell you something that you have to do some fabrication and modifying to make it work.
It's because they are lazy and make a "fits all" product and leave it to the consumer to make it work for their application.

Just my opinion.

Wrong his ink is made in the USA (At least the high temp ink)  I could also say his support but you know what?  He gives that support to anyone that needs it even if they didn't buy it from him that's  the type of guy he is... Just Saying ...

I am talking about the hardware goods. Buy his ink and a much cheaper ciss kit elsewhere and save a good amount of dough

I am talking about the hardware goods. Buy his ink and a much cheaper ciss kit elsewhere and save a good amount of dough

Did you read what I posted?   I did exactly what you suggested and it was a nightmare.  No documentation - the kit didn't include everything I needed to make it work, etc.  I spent over 8 hours getting that kit to work with that printer and I was still never 100% happy with it.

Believe me, read my older posts and you'll see that if there is a cheap way to try and do something, I've probably tried.  I'm a cheapskate by nature and I always try to find the cheapest way to do things.  That's why I'm already on my second cutter, second heat press, second sublimation printer with CISS kit, second sand blaster, etc. - because I bought cheap and discovered the hard way that there is a reason why cheap stuff is cheap.

If you want to take the cheap way out just so you can repeat my mistakes, go for it - but please don't encourage other people to do so unless you're prepared to provide them with the support they won't get with a cheap knock-off.   The only way that buying a cheaper tank will save you money is if you value you your time and sanity at $0.    I learned my lessons the hard way, that's why the last two CISS kits I ordered came from Cobra Ink - because I know that they'll work with a minimal amount of fuss and if it doesn't work exactly as described I can call someone who speaks English and who is willing to bend over backwards to make sure it's perfect.

I experienced an issue with the CISS kit for my WF-7520 - the battery connector was wired backwards.  Richard called me back and told me that he was in the mail room shipping me a replacement battery holder and if that didn't fix the issue, he wanted me to box up the kit and send it back for a complete replacement.  I told him I had already put the ink in the tanks and he said not to worry about that, he'd replace the ink too - no cost.

Good luck getting that kind of support from your cheap vendor.

• Like 2