Sign in to follow this  
dirtrocker

Sublimation graphics. Vector or png?

I haven't gotten into the sublimation stuff yet. 

I'm at the "research" phase of it. 

I've learned a lot from the posts on what I am thinking of getting, but I'm stuck on the graphics.
There has been mentions of using Corel for the images, but don't see anywhere where it mentions that it needs to be a CDR file. 
Can it be a png file or even a jpg?

Is the only reason that Corel is recommended because of the quality of image?

If a person has a good quality jpg file, does it need to be converted in Corel?

I apologize if it has been addressed, but I came up with more questions, so I thought I would ask.

Thanks for any info.

You can use images from in whatever program you are comfortable with as long as it allows choosing a color profile in the print setup. I have corel x3 and vinyl master and print from both but with the inks I'm using I haven't needed to use a color profile yet.

• Like 1

Like jaybird said, also its more about having a good quality or high definition photo.  The saying in sublimation is garbage in garbage out ...I have used a lot of different programs to print from Signblazer to corel

I use dollar photo a lot

https://www.dollarphotoclub.com/

Here is a free one someone posted that is limited but good

http://pixabay.com/en/perch-redfish-sebastes-marinus-67613/

• Like 1

Interesting. I hadn't thought about printing from the cutter program.

So would Flexi or Sign Blazer accomplish that?

Thank you for the links. I will check them out.

I appreciate the info. The more I can learn, the better the decisions I can make before I jump in with both feet.

I mainly do vinyl and mostly only to make templates for airbrush work on motorcycle tanks, so sublimation is new to me and I'm still trying to decide what I want to do.

I'm thinking that the cactus wrap, a new printer dedicated to it and covection toaster oven and start with coffee cups until I get familiar with it enough and then see how it goes.

Thanks again.

As stated by Jaybird and Mr300 its doesn't matter of the image as long as its crisp and possibly a PNG. Only thing is with a PNG image its resizable and it doesn't blur if you enlarge it. You don't have to convert anything to a CDR file, sounds like you have CDR so sort of stick to CDR instead of other programs. I only say this due to its a graphic editor program. I always use CDR and barely stray due to I can do everything in that program. And an added bonus most of what's out to sublimate has templates to help design the artwork to fit on the substrate.

As for printer don't jump into a Ricoh if your not 100% sure your going to like it. Start with a cheaper Epson Workforce with sublimation inks. Cactus wraps only way to go unless your planning on staying far away from the handle you can get away with a mug press if you don't want full bleed. Mugs are found everywhere I believe UScutter sells them, coastal business, and then Conde. I'm pretty much sure once you start with cups you will get the bug and want to do more sublimated substrates it becomes an addiction. It happens to everyone who starts.

As for the ink contact me privately and I will tell you what ink. If I recall I introduced Jaybird to the ink he is using.

And if you have any more question don't hesitate to ask. Just remember we were all newbies in this crazy game we call sublimation.

• Like 1

Great info! Thanks!

PM'd you Madhatter.

I'm looking to get started on this in the next few months. 

But I usually spend too much time researching before I make purchases.

I'm definitely going with the Cactus wrap for coffee cups and we've been looking at the shot glasses and steins too, but will reserve that until I get comfortable with the cups.

I do have one question though, 

I didn't find Cactus wraps for steins or shotglasses, only coffee cups.
I only was able to find silicone wraps.
Am I missing a source for them?

The nice thing about this is that the "boss lady" is on board with this.

Actually I know coastal business sells the wraps for Shot glasses I bought 2 last year. And for the beer steins I haven't found a cactus wrap for those. However you might be able to work around but just sublimating the ceramic steins with the mug wraps. I know the glass steins you have to use a mug press or I should say its suggested to use a mug press.

Cool! I must have missed the shot glass ones when I went to their site.

You do realize that you could be considered an enabler, right?  :lol:

I could be an enabler but somehow sublimation does it to people. Ask anyone on here it starts of simple them BAM!! its got ya by the wallet lol.

• Like 3

Great stuff. 
But thinking this info could get me in trouble.  :lol:

So now that I am understanding quite a bit of this (ok, some of it :blink: ), is there a brand of transfer paper and ink that is preferred?

I realize that most folks have their own personal preference, but figured I'd see if there was a common one that folks liked.

As long as it's sublimation paper weather it is Qr Tex Print, image right they are all good.  In has to be high temp ink not pigment and on the paper make sure you print on the correct side if its not marked ...

Do not buy the paper from the big auction site. I never had luck. I always buy Image Right from coastal. And yes yes it can get you into trouble.

Ha ha!

It went from;

Hey, this looks cool and I can get this wrap thing, an oven, printer, ink and paper for a decent price.

To, wow look at this. They have this and that and all these other really cool things.
Oh boy.  :wacko:

• Like 1

Ok, more questions.
Staples has the Epson Workforce 3620 on sale and I've found the continuous refillable ink system for it prefilled with sublimation ink.

The question is, would that be a good starter printer? Any downfalls to it?

It will work however your limited to 8.5X11" paper, the price on Epson's site is $119.99 everything else looks ok. The only thing you got to remember is to print a test page every 2 to 4 days so the ink doesn't dry in the head. Personally if you could swing it go with the Epson WF 7610, or even the 7620 for the dual tray.

• Like 1

It will work however your limited to 8.5X11" paper, the price on Epson's site is $119.99 everything else looks ok. The only thing you got to remember is to print a test page every 2 to 4 days so the ink doesn't dry in the head. Personally if you could swing it go with the Epson WF 7610, or even the 7620 for the dual tray.

The Hatter is right on the printer. I have a 7610 set up with pigment and a 7620 rigged for sublimation. I used to have a WF30 and I would never go back to small paper. I still use 8.5"x 11" off and on but mostly I have been enjoying 13"x 19" I go each of these for slightly under $200. I am running the carts which take more babysitting as they tend to need filling fairly regular but it's pretty easy and they are easy to transfer to another machine if I need to. I am testing out the pigment ink to see if it makes a difference to have the carts getting gently swished as it prints. So far no clogged heads. I have been running a small test print page every couple days just do help keep it going too. 

If you're not good at remembering to print test pages, there is software available to do it for you - http://www.harveyheadcleaner.com/ for $40.

Personally, I have all of my printers configured through Google Cloud Print and have a reminder set on my phone and I can print the test pages directly from my phone using Cloud Print for Android.

Thanks!

The 7610 doesn't seem to be a whole lot more money, so that may be the direction I should go.

I like the thought of a program that automatically runs the maintenance on printing.

Mostly because I can see that there will be times when it isn't being used regularly. 
So having something that keeps it working would be a great idea.

Clogging print heads is a royal pain and I've had my share of them. It's never fun.

BTW, thanks for all the great info. 
I appreciate the help. 
It's refreshing to ask a question and get great help, instead of going to a forum to get the response, "If you don't know what you're doing, maybe you shouldn't be doing it." 

Which is what you get at a lot of forums.

• Like 2

Epson has the WF7610 in their outlet store on ebay for $119.00 with free shipping - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epson-WorkForce-WF-7610-All-in-One-Printer-/191541381816?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c98c18ab8

These are factory refurbished printers that come with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty and a 14 day no questions asked return policy.

I've bought a few printers this way and have had no problems, nor could I tell they were ever used - they all looked brand new coming out of the box.

• Like 1