Sign in to follow this  
theshmo891

Brand New MH 871-MK2 Issues - Nothing Cuts properly

Hey Guys- bought one of these to do some rec sticker work. I set it all up, installed the software, ran it and tested it with the pen. I printed some simple letters using Sure Cuts a Lot 3 and this is how it came out: 1zqxaht.jpg

Same thing happens when I hit the "Test" button. Said it was supposed to cut a diamond. So far I can't get anything to work at all. I have never run one of these but it makes a sound like its grinding when it tries to work. Also, where should the cutter be when it starts up? Thanks for the help in advance guys, I have a feeling I'm going to have to send this one back...

Did you follow all of the instructions here?  Including setting the BAUDE RATE to 4800..  Make sure the pinch rollers are over the grit rollers...Make sure paper or vinyl is free and not pulling from the roll.   Have slack in vinyl or paper.  Make sure set screw in grit rollers is tight.   Make sure carriage head is firmly in the track.  The white wheels, should be down in the track, and carriage head moves smoothly left and right.   You also don't state what computer operating system you are using,  This cutter is only supported on Windows...

http://www.uscuttersupport.com/mh-series-vinyl-cutter-setup.html

Most of us had a similar experience when we were newbies too. It's just user error and you can get past that with a little patience. Looking at your scribbles from the pen (a good idea BTW before trying to cut for real) I would say you either have the wrong driver working or your paper was not pinched properly with the rollers. There are knurled spots on the drive shaft or rubberized traction spots that the pinch rollers have to be over to get consistent traction of the feed. I ran for a week without moving mine and then slid one off to one side and it was over part of the smooth shaft and it made a huge mess and it took me quite a while to figure out why. Could also be the loose set screw mentioned by Skeeter which would cause the shaft to be loose from one joint to the next. 

Once you get a good clean drawing with the pen then you can start getting the blade depth set correctly and begin figuring out the pressure, DON'T do the half credit card depth that is in some of the start-up guides. People usually have about 5 times the amount of blade out than they need. You only need just enough to go through 3mil thick vinyl. Skeeter has the most comprehensive instructions available and will probably post it at some point. 

Welcome to the forum. This is the best group of folks I have came across online for helping one another out and helping newbies learn the ropes. I have a few years under my belt but still seem to find something new hiding here and there every time I turn around. Their help inspired me so much I keep coming back and trying to pay it forward for others the way they helped me. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the help guys! The paper seems to be moving in and out just fine, it is the carriage that is worrying me. I am working with a Windows 7 PC, I used every driver it came with. As for the set screw, where would it be? I took a video of it booting up and hitting the test button. Hitting the test button makes something just like what I posted above, squiggly and messed up. Also, the carriage never seems to go to the same spot. Is this supposed to be moved by hand? Here is the video:

"it makes a sound like its grinding when it tries to work."

There is a thread about that issue HERE --

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/47613-mh871-cutting-head-grindsbinds-when-moving

Before you go too much deeper into thinking "motherboard failure" -- listen to what Ms.Skeeter noted above and just verify that the cutting head is properly seated on the track. Often the entire carriage head unit dislodges from the rail during shipping from China or in shipment to you.

Thanks Slice, it moves freely and does not move at all if I pull it towards me. Does the video above look normal? This is my first venture into this! Thanks again for all the help everyone!

The set screw is in the grit rollers..  You may have to roll them to get access..  When using the arrows on the machine, does the carriage head move freely? 

looks identical symptoms of the one slice linked to that had to have a new mainboard - heck i had to check the vids to make sure it wasn't the same one.  

Uh yeah, I guess my comment that it was "user error" was more accurate for the chinaman putting that thing together.  Wow! 

Hah it is all good! Your comment gave me a glimmer of hope! Well I guess onto another question, how quick is their support team? am I going to have to pack this big boy back up and send it or do they send out parts?

Last thing, I just have to say, it is truly awesome how great everyone is on here, I appreciate the help and the time all of you have taken to lend input.

• Like 1

They are pretty quick in sending out replacement parts once you get thru to support.

Called them at 7am this morning. I have a new board being shipped in now. Taking the video really helped out in explaining to the tech rep. They were super helpful.

• Like 1

Keep us updated.

Good to hear that you're gonna get this problem solved quickly.

Board showed up yesterday, installed that bad boy, hit test and boom! Star and a square. Onto the next problem then all, no matter how deep i set the blade or the blade pressure I am getting gaps like the attached file. It will pull perfectly but it will get stuck in the edges of small shapes or on the curves (like the S shown).

post-91748-0-12049300-1426775791_thumb.j

post-91748-0-60220300-1426775794_thumb.j

add to the overcut in your software - it makes the blade go just beyond the end 

Thank you, I read that but it wouldn't help it with the problem I have with S's and O's. Im using Sure Cuts a lot 3. Should I be using something else?

Off you are adjusting the over it and not the offset it should cure the problem

By the way I read your previous post,, as you stated no matter how deep you set the blade and pressure.  You don't set your blade deep.  You set it like this below. You should only be seeing the tip of the blade out of the blade holder.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

Thank you Mz Skeeter, I have read your writeup before and used it the first couple times when testing out the cutter for the first time. The only reason I began setting the blade longer is because of these issues of "skipping" spots that make it extremely hard to weed and always end up pulling the material and causing little pieces to be warped. I will try tonight again to reset the blade lower. Would having it too far out cause these skips? It isn't cutting into the back of the paper at its current depth.