JonnnScott

How do you price large quantities?

I had someone ask what I would charge for 150, one color 4"x6" script font decals. I have no idea what I would charge for a large order. I know some people offer a discount for large amounts but I dont want to cut myself short or overcharge and scare them away. 

I know for single decals I can normally charge $1 an inch, so a 4x6" could be $6 or I could do L+W/2 and get $5 for the same decal.

is there less material or work for you in large qty?

No its all the same amount. But $750 for 150 decals seems a bit much. I didnt know if there was a special equation that is used when calculating mass amounts. I dont have a business or anything like that so any money is just cash in my pocket.  

• Like 1

my rule of thumb, give them $1-2 off each item if they order more than 20.

I just did 30 6"x6" decals for a friend, i told him they would be $7 each, but if he ordered more than 20, i would do them for $5 each. So 30x$5=$150. 

They were "In Loving Memory" decals for his aunt who just past away. He is going to turn around and sell them to friends and family for $6, so he will actually make a $30 profit.

• Like 1

I was just trying to wrap my head around the fact that your hourly wage goes down the more you work.  now for a very few I understand charging a premium but if you are charging a fair amount for any work based on material, hourly wage and enough to replace equipment as necessary - working for a lot less because you are going to be working a lot more hours just didn't compute.    if would be like working at a store for say $10 per hour but after 4 hours you will be happy with $8 per hr - then after 6 hours we will drop to $6 per hour because they want you all day.   heck after 8 hrs then drop to $4 per hour for overtime.   if you are charging a fair price based on materials, time and some put back for equipment it won't change a lot.   now if it is something like a screen printer where there is time involved in screen creation that has to be factored in I can see where it would be cheaper after say the first 50 shirts and that extra work and material that must be created for each and every job has been charged over that 50  - it would make sense to lower for qty.   now no offense meant to our screen printers but it does take time and material to set up that screen and factor time in for cleanup afterwards - non of which applies to vinyl decals - charge for the artwork creation up front and it is a pretty consistent cost after that you are just devaluing yourself

• Like 2

Very very true.

I had one guy tell me "you should always get a discount when u buy in bulk."

And i asked "why?, when u buy 20 gallons of gas, do u get a discount compared to if you only bought 3 gallons?"

He just replied "well that's different"

• Like 2

Very very true. I had one guy tell me "you should always get a discount when u buy in bulk." And i asked "why?, when u buy 20 gallons of gas, do u get a discount compared to if you only bought 3 gallons?" He just replied "well that's different"

not if he was doing the work - he would look at it differently.  big printers that set up plates to print often discount for large qty to offset those cost for lower numbers - quite a different animal than what we work with. but if the buyer can get someone to bite they win so why wouldn't they try

I kinda crack up at the questions I get sometimes.... They want to know if they can get a discount if they are a student....I also usually am running a sale, but others still want them quite a bit cheaper than that...If they buy 2...LOL

I suck at pricing. I'm doing 20 "LSU" decals for $3 a pop. I told him $3 for a single color and $4 for 2 colors.

We'll see how it goes.

I suck at pricing. I'm doing 20 "LSU" decals for $3 a pop. I told him $3 for a single color and $4 for 2 colors.

We'll see how it goes.

Yup you suck at pricing lol. Almost easier to donate them at some point and take a writeoff.

• Like 1

We'll see how it goes.

If it's literally just the letters "LSU" and they aren't huge, then $3 isn't a bad price.  You're not going to get rich, but you're not working for free, either.

It shouldn't take more than an 60-90 minutes to cut, weed and tape 20 simple decals and you'll be receiving $60 for your work and a few dollars worth of vinyl and tape.   I'd take that all day long.

• Like 1

Very very true. I had one guy tell me "you should always get a discount when u buy in bulk." And i asked "why?, when u buy 20 gallons of gas, do u get a discount compared to if you only bought 3 gallons?" He just replied "well that's different"

Since we're on the fuel topic....... I farm as a primary job. I can buy 300 gallons of fuel at say $3.65 per gallon (based on 2014 figures). The same supplier offered 2,000 gallons at $3.58 per gallon. Or I could've bought a tanker load (7,000 gallons) at $3.47 per gallon. Unfortunately all I needed was the 300 to finish up. 

• Like 1

Yup you suck at pricing lol. Almost easier to donate them at some point and take a writeoff.

Does that mean I'm too low?

Depends on the size really. This winter I made a big boo-boo pricing 300 decals with high detail and ate the job. It happens sometimes but you try to minimize it.

I'd say that's not bad on the 1 color. The 2 color depends on time to line it up properly.