So I just moved my machine into my new work room office, and the new spot where it is going to sit is too far for my current 8' USB cable.

The cable looks like a standard USB-Printer cable, so can i just buy a longer 16' or 25' one and it should work, right? or are these cables different in some way?

Thanks.

Yeah but is it just a standard printer cable or do i need something different.

I see some usb-printer cables on amazon like $10 for a 25' one.

Ok just wanted to make sure.

All the local stores, the longest they have is 10-12'.

I need at least 16' to route it nicely along the wall and back behind my desk to the desktop computer.

I paid a little extra to get a 15 foot gold plated USB cable. Just switched from a Titan 2 to Graphtec because of serious cutter issues, and I'm trying to avoid any potential for issues again. Maybe the gold plating is just snake oil, but I haven't had any issues at all, so far, and prefer the extra slack to avoid any kinks or stress at the plugs. 

I paid a little extra to get a 15 foot gold plated USB cable. Just switched from a Titan 2 to Graphtec because of serious cutter issues, and I'm trying to avoid any potential for issues again. Maybe the gold plating is just snake oil, but I haven't had any issues at all, so far, and prefer the extra slack to avoid any kinks or stress at the plugs. 

seen several people wire tie the usb to the stand leg so if it gets snagged it doesn't break the plug on the plotter

• Like 2

Yeah thats one of the ones i am looking at.

I measured my distance i need and its about 14'. So 16' should work, but it be nice to have 18', cuz i think the 25' one is just too long.

Hell i wish the would make a wireless system for them lol.

Yeah thats one of the ones i am looking at. I measured my distance i need and its about 14'. So 16' should work, but it be nice to have 18', cuz i think the 25' one is just too long. Hell i wish the would make a wireless system for them lol.

The limit is 16' 5"  (5 meters)  for a single cable without any booster or sequencer.

Why can't I use a cable longer than 5m?

--- USB's electrical design doesn't allow it. When USB was designed, a decision was made to handle the propagation of electromagnetic fields on USB data lines in a way that limited the maximum length of a USB cable to something in the range of 4m. Since USB is intended for a desktop environment, those range limitations were deemed acceptable. This all has to do with transmission line theory and electromagnetic properties.

• Like 1

Yes, longer lengths can be utlized, with booster or sequencer.

Regarding the item you linked to ---  You would have to find out if USB 3 is backwards-compatible to USB 2.

Edited by slice&dice

You really don't need a booster for 16' --  a regular cable of that length will work.

If you require a LONGER distance to be covered, then longer cable lengths can be utlized, with booster or sequencer.

I use a 25/30 ft cable with my Titan2 at work and have not had any issues with it.