tuctucben

Aligning Precut Vinyl for Cutting

Hello. Can anyone point me to some resources on how to properly align pieces of vinyl for cutting with a LaserPoint Cutter?

Let's say I have a precut piece at 8x8, I want to be sure where to place it so the design I cut, will match up with the placement of the vinyl.

Where do I line up the front edge of the vinyl with? And do I line it up all the way to the right opening of the cutter?

I was trying to find videos or guides for this, but I wasn't able to find anything yet.

Hi, welcome to the wonderful world of vinyl.

The answer to your question is very simple.

You'll begin at a point called the ORIGIN.

Now, where is that point?!!!

Actually, it's wherever you want it to be --- wherever the blade tip is, that's the ORIGIN, and you can adjust that location of the blade point to land on the vinyl using the control keypad on your cutter (moving the vinyl and also moving the cutter head, with the arrow keys).  Ideally, you want to start cutting at the farthest reaches of the vinyl, all the way to the right, and all the way to the leading edge, maybe a 1/4" in would be all you really need for leeway.

I don't know the exact sequence of button-presses to enter the mode for MANUALLY ADJUST ORIGIN, but that should be covered in the manual.

Hit enter on "Local" and you should be able to move the head using the arrows.  Once in place, hit select to go over to current and hit enter.  Make sure to select current location in cutting software and you should be good.

Please take a look at the image I've linked-to, for what my concern is. So, let's say I want to cut this music note. My mat size in Sure Cuts a Lot is 8 1/2 x 11, landscape orientation. And, I will be cutting with a piece of vinyl the same size.

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/gallery/image/1844-image-layout-test/

Without doing extensive testing and wasting paper or vinyl, is there a way to figure out where place or align the piece of vinyl in the cutter, so it cuts that shape, from just that portion of the vinyl? Or, maybe I would have three shapes in a row, or the page will be filled with all kinds of different shapes or designs. I just want to know how to figure out where to start the cut, or where to place the vinyl, so it knows that I have a 8 1/2 x 11 landscape piece of vinyl in there and it will cut it correctly.

Thanks.

You are using 2 different terms, above,,,PRINT which uses ink,  and CUT which uses a blade,  So not sure really what you are wanting to do....  A Laser Pointer can not PRINT.  But it will contour cut an image that has been previously  printed with registration marks.

Your cutter (Laser Pointer) has no clue, what size of vinyl you are loading into it..  It only knows that when you push the ORIGIN button, that is where the cutter will  measure your design from when cutting......That point where you have the carriage head, when you push the ORIGIN button..  There is also something called WYSIWYG  Where it does cut from that point,  Refer to your Scalp instructions in HELP   

Most cutters cut right to left...  Most people cutting, set their ORIGIN...at the lower right corner of the vinyl.

I don't use SCALP, only relaying info that I found.  This info below is in your HELP section.

General
The General tab has the basic settings for cutting your project.

Cut Mode: where objects will cut relative to the cutting machine's origin.

• WYSIWYG - is the what you see is what you get mode, where it will cut the shapes where you place them on the mat relative to the cutter's origin point.
  • Origin Point - will automatically shift the design so that it starts cutting it at the cutter's origin point.

Cut Selection Only: you can choose to have only the selected shapes on the mat to be cut instead of everything on the mat.

CUT is what I want to do. Sorry for the confusion. Like you said, we use the LaserPoint machine for cutting. I will do some more alignment testing to figure this out. I was just hoping there was some videos or guides to help with learning, and to make it easier. Thanks.

I was looking at your photos in the photo album,  From your picture you are pointing to lower right corner... But your image is not going to start cutting there..  The image will start cutting from the point it was originally designed. It may be the middle of the design..  The origin point is where it will measure from..  Example  I cut large designs, which may be 6 ft long. X 20" wide.  I place my vinyl in my cutter .I prefeed my vinyl for the 6ft order,, I hit the ORIGIN on lower right corner. My cutter will start advancing my vinyl, which may even be 3 ft before it starts cutting, but it will come back to the front of the vinyl and cut my entire design and make my whole design.. It is using the entire 6ft of vinyl.as it should  The ORIGIN is your measure point..

I don't know what you are wanting the end result to look like...or why you are wanting to use precut sheets of vinyl.