dcbevins

Startup Folder

Maybe one of you guys know a way to solve my problem.

I have a shortcut in \ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp.  It needs to run with admin priv.  I have tried setting the shortcut to run as administrator and have fiddled with the compatibility mode.There seems to be a restriction on programs launching with elevated rights from the Startup folder.

I have tried adding an entry to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.  

Nothing I do will make the program autostart.  This is Win 8.1 home.

How can I make the program start on startup with elevated rights?

The program in question is DuckDnsUpdater.exe which is just a free dynamic DNS hosted on Amazon VPC.

I see no option in CCleaner to add a run option. Where is it located? I am not trying to remove an item from start up, I am trying to add one with elevated privileges on start up. I've been trying a program called ElevatedShortcut, but no luck so far.

I believe you should be able to right click on the .exe and go to properties.  I know in Win7 there is a checkbox to always run as admin

Yes the check box works, normally.

What is different here is that the Startup Folder, where you place shortcuts for things to run automatically on StartUp has a restriction on allowing things to run with administrator privileges.  This restriction is what I am trying to circumnavigate.

A quote:

"If you need to run some application elevated at Windows startup, you might be surprised to learn that this is not a simple task. If you use any modern version of Windows such as Windows 8, Windows 7 or Vista, and User Account Control is on, and any shortcut set to 'Run as administrator' in your startup folder will not run! Windows will ignore it! In this article, I will show you a simple solution to resolve the issue."

Problem is their solution is the ElevatedShortcut program, which isn't doing the job.  Guess I'll have to dig more.  Their program basically converts the shortcut to a schedule task that runs with UAC turned off, once after a few seconds.  It's just not working.

I am not all that knowledgeable about Powershell.  I was hoping maybe somebody more versed in Powershell might have an idea.

Have you tried creating a batch file to run the program you want and put the batch file, or a shortcut to the batch file in the startup folder?

Did some searching, you can use the runas command but that will require you to enter the password every time the program runs. If that's acceptable it's a quick and easy solution. If you don't want to have to enter the password, looks like the program/command PsExec will allow you to create a batch file to run a program with admin rights.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553.aspx

I ran across psexec looking for a solution.  I thought I had powershell installed, but I can't find it on my system.  I'll go search for that utility.