Sign in to follow this  
lablover

Broken blade holder

Cutting a simple design today in some 651  all of the sudden I noticed it's not cutting...Looked at the blade holder and the blue head was cockeyed a bit.  pulled it out of the carriage and this is what I see when I unscrew the blue tip.

At 100 bucks a pop this is pretty depressing.  I have several after market holders but I really liked the stock holder because of the no spring design.

What a bummer.  Nice clean break for sure.  Pretty sure I have no warranty recourse.

Anyone ever see this happen?

post-88484-0-36786600-1426121967_thumb.j

I wold think they would replace that super fast

Yeah they are stupid expensive for the oem plastic ones. I actually like the knock offs a little better. Just slightly bigger tolerances.

I had some older cleancut blades from before the ce6000 came out and the blade holder on the ce6000 is so tight it didn't rotate freely all the time - the amount the metal expanded where the shaft is pushed into the wider part was enough to make it bind a little - now that doesn't happen with the new cleancut blades but I still had a couple to use up so the aftermarket holders solved that problem - we are talking a fraction of a frogs hair difference here

but that one should be covered under warranty - he hasn't had the plotter that long - he just has the strength of superman

• Like 1

Going on 8 years.. I have never had to replace one... I was wondering how that one broke...Is the holder hitting the vinyl and cutting strip.?     I only have to unscrew mine 1 time a year to change the blade.

Going on 8 years.. I have never had to replace one... I was wondering how that one broke...Is the holder hitting the vinyl and cutting strip.?     I only have to unscrew mine 1 time a year to change the blade.

The holder is not hitting the vinyl at all.  I was shocked when I saw it.  For the life of me I'm trying to think of what might of happened.  I thought maybe pulling a vinyl sheet out the front caught it or something.  I think I might of remembered that....never happened as far as I know.  It's also a clean break like maybe its a weak spot or had a weak spot.  Dunno..Gonna give them a jingle today and see.  I will use the aftermarket ones but I have to use a spring now on the blade.  I assume I can still use the same clean-cut blades I had for the blue tip holder?

I will say that was my biggest fear is somehow the blade holder got jammed into the carriage some how but it seems to be cutting just fine.  I want to chalk it up as a defective holder.  

Hmm, I have had that blue tip off several times for whatever reasons and may have torqued down a bit hard when tightening it down.  I do have a bad habit of doing that with most things.........Hey 6'3" 230 lbs...what can I say...LOL 

but that one should be covered under warranty - he hasn't had the plotter that long - he just has the strength of superman

Reading this made me think that just well may be the case!  I have a bad habit of trying to put a death grip on "Stuff"

• Like 1

So just got off the phone with US Cutter

They said that blade holders are considered a consumable and not normally covered under warranty......  They said they will make an exception in this case and do a one time replacement of the holder....Wooohoooo

US Cutter pulls thru again!!

Joe

• Like 2

glad to hear it but had it been denied I would have appealed directly to graphtec for no longer than you had the plotter

• Like 2

glad to hear it but had it been denied I would have appealed directly to graphtec for no longer than you had the plotter

I have always been under the impression that USC didn't do warranty on Graphtec at all since Graphtec had their own warranty. I thought they just sent you directly to Grapgtec from the start.

• Like 1

I have always been under the impression that USC didn't do warranty on Graphtec at all since Graphtec had their own warranty. I thought they just sent you directly to Grapgtec from the start.

Guess I got even more Lucky

USCutter probably has an agreement with Graphtec to handle smaller issues such as these. I'm sure they get reimbursed in some fashion.

Graphtec had a bad batch of blade holders. When I got my cutter out of the box new it was broken. I called them and the blade holder  had a date code on it that they had listed as bad and they replaced it for me overnight

• Like 2