Sign in to follow this  
coreycss21

What to use inplace of heat transfer paper?

Hey guys quick question. I can't find the heat transfer paper that my heat press came with. I need to finish hoodies tonight is there something else i can use in place of heat transfer paper?

Thanks

Are you talking the transfer paper you print on and then press the design on a shirt or are you just talking about the paper you use to place between between the transfer or vinyl and the upper platen? If the later, you can use plain copy paper in a pinch. I use some of my wife's parchment paper that she uses to bake cookies and it works great. I prefer it over about anything else for basic press work. 

If you are looking for actual transfer paper then you are out of luck unless you run to wallyworld and use the avery brand they sell but that stuff is nasty and I wouldn't recommend selling it as a product if you want that customer back. It cracks all to heck and usually ends up yellowing pretty bad too. 

I have to confess I have uses a paper bag cut open so it was the right size, seriously though parchment paper and you can get it at almost any store. You can also order a roll of Teflon paper from the big auction site or other places.

That's my bad haha yea the paper that goes inbetween. Do you guys think the parchment paper is good to use all the time since i sell shirts or should i order that special paper?

I use parchment 99 percent of the time. Cheap and easy to get locally (Costco) and once it starts looking a little used or burnt I toss it. I get several hundred press cycles out of mine if I am careful how I lay it out on my bench in between cycles and it lasts better if it is smaller than your lower press platen slightly. If it hangs over it will curl up and cause you to get tired of messing with it and toss it sooner. It is safe to use on about any heat press type of product including opaque transfers. 

I use parchment 99 percent of the time. Cheap and easy to get locally (Costco) and once it starts looking a little used or burnt I toss it. I get several hundred press cycles out of mine if I am careful how I lay it out on my bench in between cycles and it lasts better if it is smaller than your lower press platen slightly. If it hangs over it will curl up and cause you to get tired of messing with it and toss it sooner. It is safe to use on about any heat press type of product including opaque transfers. 

I tried doing a 3G Opaque transfer on a 100% polyester shirt  (long story, but I already had the opaque transfers printed and then the customer wanted an even bigger color design on the back, so I printed a sublimation transfer for the back) and I pressed the 3G Opaque like always, with a parchment sheet cover.   I let it cool down and tried to peel it off - the opaque transfer would not release from the parchment paper - I hit it with the press for a few seconds to warm it back up and when I peeled, it peeled the opaque transfer completely off the shirt - no stretching or tearing, it was like peeling off a paper sticker.   I ended up re-printing the front design with the sublimation printer and got it applied.

I've never seen 3G Opaque do that before, but then I've never tried it on 100% polyester before, either...

I would think 3G opaque wouldn't work with polyester the glue probably isn't formulated for it. Look at how we have to buy a different brand of Siser for nylon etc. Same concept I think.  

I tried doing a 3G Opaque transfer on a 100% polyester shirt  (long story, but I already had the opaque transfers printed and then the customer wanted an even bigger color design on the back, so I printed a sublimation transfer for the back) and I pressed the 3G Opaque like always, with a parchment sheet cover.   I let it cool down and tried to peel it off - the opaque transfer would not release from the parchment paper - I hit it with the press for a few seconds to warm it back up and when I peeled, it peeled the opaque transfer completely off the shirt - no stretching or tearing, it was like peeling off a paper sticker.   I ended up re-printing the front design with the sublimation printer and got it applied.

I've never seen 3G Opaque do that before, but then I've never tried it on 100% polyester before, either...

I have never let it cool down before pulling the parchment paper off but the spec sheet says to peel cold. Looking at the specs from Coastal it recommends 100% cotton.