Sign in to follow this  
jmas

Another "what to charge for this (huge) decal"

For someone who doesn't usually do this stuff, I've gotten another request this week.

What would you charge to make this 3.5ft x10ft. No design time, no install time, just cut/weed/mask in a bunch of separate sections so it can be pieced together.

They're not sure what size they need but to make it larger I can roughly add 2ft width for every 1ft height, so how much extra would you charge for 4.5x12ft or 5.5x14ft? I can do the math from there lol

I have a number in mind but I don't want you pros laughing at me ;).

post-29371-0-37258000-1425423785_thumb.j

• Like 1

What application? In other words what type of vinyl are you planning on? I charge about $3 per square foot for intermediate vinyl per color layer. So about $360 but if you were wanting to be generous you could break it out per color layer which would end up probably half that. I always round up to the nearest foot and if it's looking too cheap to me I may calculate it in actual lineal footage at 24" for the roll width. Like if you did a 24ft 10" graphic the excess may or may not ever be really useable again so I try to cover all my bases. Personally I'd go the $360 for this one. That's probably lower than they will be expecting. You can also try and up-sell an install by letting them know what you charge and offhandedly telling them you would prefer they installed it so if it gets messed up while they stick it up you may get paid again whereas if you blow the install the risk is on you.

If it's high performance then I range up to double that price. 

Prices in your area may be substantially more or possibly less than where I live. 

Thanks for that. I was thinking over $300 but didn't have any specific reason in mind other than it looked like an over $300 decal. I do business differently than probably everyone here and supply a niche market with specific things with simple price guidelines, so when someone wants regular decals or a sign, I'm kind of lost. I need to figure out my prices to be ready for that in the future.

Anyway, I had talked to one employee who asked how big I could make it. He said the boss probably wanted one "like 10 feet wide, maybe more" and told me to have a price in mind when I talked to the boss. When I talked to the boss, he had only mentioned it once offhand but never really wanted it. But he did order several hundred dollars of various things which I've spent the past two evenings working on, so it worked out even better.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Ha ha! 10 feet is bigger than most people think too. I did a 10' wide wall quote for a work friend for his house as a Christmas present to his wife (from him) and helped with the install and once we rolled it out and stuck it up there he was like..."Holy Cow!" and at first wondered if it was even going to fit. 72" would have been fine on his wall but 10' really made a statement. LOL

Oh shucks...You already said "wife".  I was thinking a 20' wall quote of something like "WILL YOU MARRY ME"....LOL....

jmas, good for you of picking up more work from that boss ;) !!!