Primal Decals

font color swap help

Trying something new,I normally am able to create a preview of my work for colors of font a customer wants. I'm trying to figure out how to make a word with the "mossy oak Country camo background" or any other color not in a palette swatch etc .Im buying the vinyl for this and need to show the font as below as if its cut out ,If its possible. So im not sure how to put that into in my font , if im explaining this correctly.. Thank you for your time.

Country moss Oak

Copy the image into Illustrator and place behind the text. Convert text to outlines and "ungroup"....will need the image (camo) copied as many times as letters are in the word. Align the camo images directly over one another to keep the pattern consistent. Now with the lettering over the top select one camo and one letter at a time then right click "create clipping mask". Do this for each letter and then regroup the now "camo" words. 

In corel or vinylmaster I'd powerclip the vinyl to the font.

• Like 1

To send to cutter you will need to take it and do the opposite...right click the camo lettering and "release clipping mask", ungroup, delete the camo backgrounds and fill the lettering with solid color. 

• Like 1

ok.. well i got the instructions on making the font camo and it works. but when i goto change my trucks to camo they go white.Thank you :rolleyes:

Copy the image into Illustrator and place behind the text. Convert text to outlines and "ungroup"....will need the image (camo) copied as many times as letters are in the word. Align the camo images directly over one another to keep the pattern consistent. Now with the lettering over the top select one camo and one letter at a time then right click "create clipping mask". Do this for each letter and then regroup the now "camo" words. 

Tip: If you turn the text into a compound shape after creating outlines it will do it all in one shot. 

• Like 2

Thanks goose,Ill look it up on how to do that, Still being a newbie to the way to do things is on my agenda still. trying to learn everything i can ,but can only think of things or ways to do things when they come to me in certain situations like this.

• Like 1

Thanks Wild Goose I knew there was probably a better way around that...im about to go try that now lol

• Like 2

Even when in a group each individual letter is a separate object. By making a compound path out of the whole set AI see's it as one object from that point unless you release the compound at some later time (which will also release the inner parts of A's and O's etc) I try to do this whenever I do an offset path too as it saves having to go back and weld all the individual paths together in the background. 

• Like 2

So i guess i got lucky and found out i had to un-group the trucks body from the parts and the font as well and i was able to make everything turn camo as i needed it took 25 layers as per Moody,And i couldnt figure out what Goose was trying to explain since im to illiterate to comprehend compound shapes etc or know where to find most shortcuts in Ai, but i got it done and it looks great so far , i might tweak it a bit ,but at least im on the right path,just wish i could learn it better and understand what everyone tries to explain to help me when i need it. So i thank you all once again for attempting to help me more than i feel i should get ..Thanks Here is my Decal mockup  that took me at least an hour lol

Local Off Roaders Group Decal

• Like 1

i didn't do a very comprehensive job of giving the keystone clues. If you do a little reading in the Illustrator section there are a couple threads where I gave better instructions. I don't type fast enough to throw all that out there too often. Glad you got it figured out. Looks cool. 

• Like 1