Diva D

Wall Decal HELP

Hi all!  I'm new to this forum, but stumbled here because I am in desperate need of some advice and also at a complete loss for words!!  (Definitely not my norm.)  I had a customer write me last night and started the conversation with "Before I review this decal, I just wanted you to know....."  I sell on Etsy and for Etsy sellers reviews are everything to them!!!  She had said that she couldn't get her decal to stick to the wall.  I use Oracal 631.  So I asked a series of questions trying to figure out the problem.  She did say that her walls are "slightly textured" but then went on to attach these images.  This is where the loss for words came into play!

post-91531-0-42928100-1425317494.jpg

post-91531-0-77437900-1425317494.jpg

In my shop policies it clearly states that this vinyl will stick to any smooth/slightly textured walls and it is not recommended for highly textured walls or in this case I would say Extremely textured walls!  Any advice you could give me would really be appreciated!!

pictures are not good enough for me to see a highly textured wall but many different people on here over the years that try to sell wall decals have run into many issues like not cured paint, paints that are made to resist marking also resist decals, impurities on the wall that wasn't properly cleaned.   but this is all the risk that those in that market bear - you cannot control what type of paint is on a wall - paint with non marking additives will always be a problem and a risk YOU bear selling to that market.  you have to have the profit built into your products to adjust for these problems if that is your chosen niche.  that and dealing with inexperienced installers which 90 percent of your buyers will be

• Like 1

You're pictures are pretty small, hard to see. If it was me I'd offer a refund to avoid a negative review which will probably cost you more in the long run if she comments on your vinyl not staying on walls.

• Like 1

Define slightly textured? Every person is going to interpret it differently.

• Like 1

Sorry about that.  These should be better easy to see.  Well,  THIS I wouldn't define as slightly textured, would you? Lol.   I did ask if the room was recently painted and if so, was a Zero VOC or VOC Free paint used and was told no to all.  I'm pretty sure it's the texture.  I'm thinking I will just issue the refund as opposed to having a bad review resulting in the loss of sales even though it pains me to do it!!!  Thanks so much for your help!

post-91531-0-80167800-1425321508_thumb.j

post-91531-0-48815800-1425321509_thumb.j

Also some people use a tennis ball to roll/push the vinyl into the texture,,,,Not sure if it would help in this case..  But these type of problems are why I have never gotten into wall vinyl. Too many variables with wall types and paint..  Good luck, 

• Like 3

Looks about like my walls and I have some 631 sticking to them in my sons room.

Looks about like my walls and I have some 631 sticking to them in my sons room.

Did you have to do anything out of the norm to make it adhere to the wall?

You can't be responsible for that install however reviews can make or brake you online.

If you have a high sales vs reviews then stick by your polices.

If you have lower sales and few reviews refund and go on.

I don't even think Walmart would take a return for this one.

• Like 2

There is no reason to cave when you've done nothing wrong. Based on her statement, she is trying to extort a refund out of you by threatening to leave a negative review. Is she going to return the decal? Probably not, and for all you know she still has it on her wall and has fixed the adhesion issues on her own.

If your business is ran correctly, one review will not hurt as much as some imply. Not every consumer will look at a negative review and immediately write you off. How you respond to the review often negates any negative impact, especially if you are in the right. Most people understand that there are those individuals in this world who just cannot be pleased and take advantage of the system.

I realize I may be in the minority with my opinion, but right is right. The customer ignored your disclaimer and wants you to pay for her ignorance.

• Like 2

I found in my own home that the vinyl would not stick to a flat paint used in my office, but it would in the kitchen...  Might be the type of paint too... The combination of the paint and heavy texture might be a problem.

Best of luck with this one...

If they left a negative review could you not post the pics to prove she was wrong and trying to extort you.

In my experience with selling online, its a moving target. How much are you willing to help for the good reviews vs. taking the hit, and refunding the purchase.

The customer may be extorting you because they feel duped (even though they weren't) but never the less, the fact is they have the power in this situation. You need to determine how much a bad review will have an impact on you. If you are a new seller, and have like 2 reviews, I would refund the purchase and move on. one bad review will drop your star rating significantly. In a market where there are 10 other sellers selling the same decal, a future customer will see "oh this seller only has 3 stars? I'll find someone else." and that's it. That's all it takes to lose a sale. Starting in the hole, is much harder to get your rating up than maintaining high ratings while your shop is in its incipient stages.

On the other hand, if you have like 500 reviews and you're sitting on a 5 star reputation, Still make an effort to help the customer, but if they threaten a bad review, you can take the hit, and not be affected by it. You'll still be at a 5 star rating and the people that see the one bad review followed by all the other good reviews, will assume it was a fluke situation, or a fussy customer.

I would re-write your shop policies and make them iron clad. "These decals are for interior use only. They are meant to be installed on walls that were painted by rollers or spray only. There is no guarantee that the graphics will adhere to special paint/brush effects and/or stucco style walls & ceilings. If you have any concerns, please contact the seller BEFORE purchase."

Again, bottom line is the customer has all the power in this situation. you can do everything right, but there will still be customers out there that will misinterpret things and say its your fault. If your reputation isn't built yet, is it worth destroying it over the price of one decal?

If they left a negative review could you not post the pics to prove she was wrong and trying to extort you.

On etsy, you can reply to reviews of 3 stars or less, but no pictures. You can make your point that the customer was troublesome, and that the seller was right, but you still have the low review, and that will have long-term effects. best to just get rid of the troublesome customers, without letting them leave bad reviews.

I sell a lot on etsy and I never get Reviews. Good or bad. Maybe I'm doing something wrong

Same here. only about 10% of customers leave reviews on etsy.