Sign in to follow this  
T.WOOD

newb from Connecticut

Whats up everyone. my name is tyler and im from ct. im looking into getting a vinyl cutter. mostly for crafts, stickers/decals, possibly some shirts, and signs. I have my eye on the 34" mh871. all the research ive done on it seems pretty good for a first timer so I think im going to go with that one.. I don't want to get a smaller one and end up needing the bigger one down the road. what does everyone think??

Welcome from Idaho. Just be aware that the MH is the very lowest of all the cutters in the line-up. Each step up is more money but you get what you pay for. The width if cut is possibly an item if you think you will be doing larger designs than a 24" vinyl. That is about 22 to 23 inches of actual useable space and you will be surprised how big that actually is. Most designs can be built to accommodate 24" vinyl. Large signs usually have multiple lines of text so you can just break it up into a couple pieces.  Don't get a 15" machine regardless of model because it will really limit you. I run a 30" cutter professionally and only cut 30" wide stuff a couple times a year. I like having the option because my local supplier stocks 3M and some of the metallics only come in 15" or 30" but for a beginner it's less of a worry. 

• Like 1

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Wildgoose" data-cid="387217" data-time="1425157018"><p>

Welcome from Idaho. Just be aware that the MH is the very lowest of all the cutters in the line-up. Each step up is more money but you get what you pay for. The width if cut is possibly an item if you think you will be doing larger designs than a 24" vinyl. That is about 22 to 23 inches of actual useable space and you will be surprised how big that actually is. Most designs can be built to accommodate 24" vinyl. Large signs usually have multiple lines of text so you can just break it up into a couple pieces. Don't get a 15" machine regardless of model because it will really limit you. I run a 30" cutter professionally and only cut 30" wide stuff a couple times a year. I like having the option because my local supplier stocks 3M and some of the metallics only come in 15" or 30" but for a beginner it's less of a worry.</p></blockquote>

Thanks for the input. I know the mh is the low end model and realize I'll probably never make anything over 24" but for the price and to have the option to do so I think this is my best bet for now. I figure I'll tool around on it and maybe make my money back on it with a few different projects. I know I'll have plenty more posts on here when I finally buy it so anyone with tips or tricks please let me know. I've already downloaded scap and sign blazer trials and I have no clue what I'm doing lol

Whazzup !!!

If you have $620 available, there is a really nice 34" LPII bundle on eBay, which includes a kit of useful items, a stand, and some materials to get you up and running.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vinyl-Cutter-Bundle-Sign-Cutting-Plotter-w-Sure-Cuts-A-Lot-Pro-Design-Sale-/300879724537

When ordering, call the USCUTTER folks and ask to include the nice LPII media catch basket optional accessory in your shipment, and probably worthwhile to grab a roll of 24" App Tape as well.

(the bundle only provides 6" and 12" widths)

I'm not sure how that works (adding items to an eBay order) but I'm sure they'll figure it out, just call and talk to the USCUTTER ordering dep't.

I provided a review of the entire bundle package in THIS posting -

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/48170-cutter-choices-some-help-choosing-please/?p=386954

By the way, the SignBlazer program will not cost you anything, it is abandonware and the trial version has been 'cracked' so it will always work without needing registration.

Thanks for the input. I know the mh is the low end model and realize I'll probably never make anything over 24" but for the price and to have the option to do so I think this is my best bet for now. I figure I'll tool around on it and maybe make my money back on it with a few different projects. I know I'll have plenty more posts on here when I finally buy it so anyone with tips or tricks please let me know. I've already downloaded scap and sign blazer trials and I have no clue what I'm doing lol

You missed my point I guess. Maybe I threw too much technical crap out there. I would tell you to step up to the SC to LP2 even if you had to live with a 24" machine. Wider cut is just a longer carriage frame but still the cheapest cutter on the market and although I have not owned one myself I read all the time of people fighting them where the LP2 and even the SC seem to do a little better. If it's not in the budget then it's not in the budget. 

You want a tip, from a forming MH871 owner, DON'T get it. Step up to the next level at least.  

I'm actually not a former owner because I still have it.  It's sitting in the corner of my office because I can't sell it with a clear conscience. 

Will it cut = yes

But you'll be fighting it everytime to get a good clean cut.  

• Like 2

You didn't say what computer you were going to be hooking this beast up to.

My $.02, spend an extra $75 and get the 24" SC model.  If you browse the forums here you will see that folks seem to have many more issues with the MH models.  And, for the items you listed as your expected projects a 24" model will do most anything you want.  Also, my 24" model takes up a lot of floor space.  With a 31" model I would have to get the wifey's permission to rearrange the furniture!

And welcome aboard, from middle Georgia.

Cal

• Like 1

Ok thanks. I'll look into the sc it's not a budget issue its just I thought that it was a good deal. But I'm guessing it's one of those "it sounds like a good deal cause it's crap" kinda things. I'm currently using a Toshiba laptop with windows 8. Will that have any effect on things?

if it isn't a budget issue get in on the current sales on the titans - solid machine and great prices

• Like 1