Sign in to follow this  
SokolTuckman

Thinking of Purchasing

Hi!  I will be a first time user.  I just want to get one because my children are always asking to get decals for all their things and I figure it would probably just be cheaper/easier for me to buy one.  I am looking for suggestions on which is the best to get.  I know little to no information about these devices.  A friend recommended US cutters and stated that the forums are a good place to get advice.  Hence I am here asking for advice.  :)  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

If all you need it for are decals for the kids, then a craft cutter like

the Silhouette would be fine...they aren't fast but they can cut a 

wide variety of materials AND their scan & cut program is neat.

Sue2

Welcome, and best of luck.

How old are the kids?

At around 6 or 7, they can actually assist in the production process !!!

Download and install SIgnBlazer ELEMENTS right now, and play with it a bit.

That will give you tremendous insights into what you're headed for.

(Open the Draw menu and peek into the 'drag&drop' graphics LIBRARY -- there are plenty of cool things in there the kids will like)

http://support.uscutter.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/GetAttachment/190/24198

Oh man...stop right now or you will be forever addicted to the vinyl bug. First hobby I ever had that actually paid for itself and continues to make me money. Full blown side business for me at this point, Be sure and buy a heat press and you can make all kinds of custom shirts for cheap with heat transfer vinyl. You'll be the new "Life of the Party" in your circle of friends and neighbors. 

• Like 2

First off, Hello and Welcome to the forum.

Like Wildgoose just mentioned it's a hobby that could turn into a side business. 

Once word gets out that you are making decals for your children other children are going to want decals.  When those children take the decals home the parents are going to want to know where their kids got the decals and that will turn into the parents wanting signs for their businesses, wall decals, yard sale  or real estate signs.

So be prepared to do more than just your children's decals. 

• Like 1