louis clarke ii

Table top etch... Compass Rose

Goose, "recycled toilets"?  Was this a project that you did, or a media that you found?  Seems like you would get kind of a $hitty job from media like this! :wacko:

Cal

Goose, "recycled toilets"?  Was this a project that you did, or a media that you found?  Seems like you would get kind of a $hitty job from media like this! :wacko:

Cal

Ha ha! Well, it's recycled porcelain so I have no idea what it used to be but toilets sounded more interesting. They crush the stuff locally near one of our gravel pits and it's affordable so I tried it out and it works great. I have some 70gr AO media from HF but it was a little too agressive for my tastes and seemed to leave a little dark color behind on metal objects so I tried out the other. They call it White Lightening and there is a commercial sandblast guy nearby that buys it by the truckload and blasts semi-trailers and heavy equipment outdoors for paint prep. I just bought a 50lb bucket for about $35 and am still using it. I don't blast all the time so it's still in good shape. 

Nice work.  I'm sure that was quite a chore with an air eraser!  I did about 2 whole glasses before I broke down and bought a cabinet. 

I just started sandblasting, using 180 grit silican carbide. Works awesome so far, expensive though. 50lb bag, $100. Ouch.

Yeah it' a bit expensive but in your cabinet it will last for a long time. I have yet to replace my original 50lbs of white lightening. 

Louis, I use mostly 180 ao for glass with paint mask for the stencil. I blast between 20-30 psi because it gives me more time to work an area without tearing up the mask but that is just my preference. For stone or tile I will use 120 SC. I can get AO locally from an air compressor repair shop for 60.00 for 50 lbs. Best part is he keeps it in stock for me. Try Grainger or Fastenal I have found it there

Absolutely beautiful.

But it got me thinking, mostly because I'm an insomniac and my mind doesn't seem to take a break, but why couldn't a person take the center circle of the compass and use it for a logo space, say for a commercial vendor?

Or even a fire dept logo.

Anyways, just thinking.