dnjpowell

cutter choices - some help choosing please

Hi all!

I'm very much a noob at vinyl but have been interested in starting my own business.  Mainly the lawn rental signs you see, like the storks and flamingos. They cutter I need would mainly be used for lettering for small keepsakes and also for some homemade wood signs too that hubby makes.  I'm not looking at car decals, stickers or doing anything big. I don't have a lot of start up either so I'm not trying to spend $1,0000.

I've been researching quite a few cutters and just need some help and guidance. A few say they don't do contour cuts and I don't know how much of a big deal that is for what I'm trying to do.  It doesn't sound like I need that option (isn't that when it uses the pen/plots and cuts at the same time?) So I'm not looking for a really big machine.  There are a few I'm interested in and want some feedback and opinions from anyone who's used them.  I've checked out the USCutter MH and SC, and also the Cricut Expressions and the Silhouette Cameo. 

The USCutter MH sounds like has some personality issues and is a crap shoot if it works.  The SC sounds pretty decent but doesn't do contour cutting and it sounds like it will be costly to get what I need to be up and running with this. The Cricut is internet based software which I dislike but it is desktop size and I like that.  The Silhouette is made by Graphtec and I like that, it sounds like everyone is in love with Graphtec so that's a plus.

Any opinions on these will be GREATLY appreciated in helping me choose which to go with.  Thanks in advance! :D

Jennifer

I operated a full-service sign shop for years with an MH machine.

The only reason you would need contour cutting is if you have a PRINTED decal, and wish to cut around that (cut around the outline of it after it's been printed on the vinyl sheet)

Avoid the MH mini (14")

It's a toy and the true cutting width is around 10"

The SC is OK, I had one of those also, but if you can spring for $520 that will obtain the well-regarded and efficient LPII with stand (including shipping cost).

Add in some vinyl + app tape and you're all set.

• Like 1

The SC cutter is a great machine for the price. I currently have the 25 inch one and i love it..

• Like 1

Ah, see the MH I saw wasn't listed as a "mini" and I then wrongly assumed the true cutting around be an actual 12".

The SC I looked at was also the 25" for 299.99 - I hear you need the anti-static kit for it as well as purchasing the stand.  That will put me over $500 without vinyl yet though.  Is the anti-static really necessary?

No one has worked with the Cameo or Cricut ?

put your money into the better cutter and good vinyl - stick with oracal.  the sc 25" as you noted is about 369 with a stand (if you dont get the stand you will wish you did.  on the anti static "kit" if the plotter stand is grounded to the plotter I don;t think you will have problems.  not sure how your got to over $500 from 299 without vinyl though - did I miss something?

• Like 1

You're right on the cost with stand is about $369, I thought I saw the anti-static was about $200? I may be mistaken on that a bit, I've been looking at so many some of these things start running together. LOL

MrSkeeter, thanks for the links! I like the first one but think it may be a tad out of my range.  I'm not sure I need a 34" cutter though either.  Nothing I will be doing will be that big.  I have been looking for 25" and under hahaha I'll have small signs lol

That's the 31" LPII, probably too big a cutter (I personally liked having the 30" size cutter, but it does take up more space and you also have to keep 30" vinyl rolls in stock to get the max benefit of it)

Oddly enough, the 24" LPII bundle costs only $20 less, so from an economic viewpoint, having the 30" would seem a better buy, if she has the space and plenty of table room for dealing with vinyl that is nearly 3' across !!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vinyl-Cutter-Bundle-Sign-Cutting-Plotter-w-Sure-Cuts-A-Lot-Pro-Design-Cut-/300804523526

Anyway, if she pops for the eBay deal bundle, there are some cool items thrown into the kit, like that app-tape roller (I love it) and the Graphix weeding kit (very useful) and FIVE (count 'em) 5 squeegees plus all sorts of odds and ends!

I love my 30" cutter,, and I created designs for that size when I started...So, when I upgraded I also went with the 30 inch and never regretted it, because I still sell a lot of the larger designs, and it's higher prices for them...

I found an SC with a vinyl bundle (12 rolls Greenstar) for the same cost as just the SC itself LOL  It won't let me post the link though, it is offered from USC though.  seriously thinking I may go this route.  Add the stand and buy transfer tape and I'm set. :D

Are you sure the stand doesn't come with it?...  Make sure and read the description good...  Is the offer on EBAY or their website?

You should be able to copy and paste the link here..

No the stand says optional.  I tried pasting the link but it just won't let me do it.  It won't let me paste anything here not even the description.. hahaha but it is offered thru USCutter directly.

Just for those who have seen the eBay bundles offered, let's take a closer look at the items and evaluate their true "real world" value (not the prices as listed, but what actual use they offer) ----

24" USCutter LaserPoint II Vinyl Cutting Plotter w/ Contour Cutting Feature ($499.99 value)

----  The USCUTTER website now lists this cutter selling at $510. with stand.

As of today, the 24" media catch-basket option shows as "Out Of Stock" -- but it's a worthwhile thing to obtain in general, and hopefully they'll get them back into stock soon.

Sure Cuts A Lot Pro Design & Cut Software ($199.99 value)

---- meh.

(I truly preferred the use of SignBlazerElements, a free cutting & design program that is downloadable from the USCUTTER website)

3 high quality blades ($19.99 value)

--- OK, every new cutter comes with 3 blades, so there isn't much logic of pricing those INCLUDED blades separately.

Grafix™ Weeding Tool Kit ($31.33 value)

--- Fine. This is a useful item.

Greenstar Vinyl Starter Pack - 12 rolls of 24" x 5yd, most popular colors ($124.99 value)

---- Good to practice on. 15 feet of vinyl is not much, however, and you'll be quickly ordering the better-quality Oracal for regular production work.

One GreenStar Vinyl Color Guide Booklet

--- As you move into the Oracal vinyl, it's worthwhile to obtain one of their swatch booklets, too.

12in x 100ft roll of GreenStar Classic Application Tape ($14.45 value)
6in x 100ft roll of GreenStar Classic Application Tape ($8.99 value)

----  Note that these are very small widths, and will only serve for tiny stuff & mini decals and NOT for the 24" wide vinyl which you will obtain above.

28.3" APPRoller Tape Application Roller ($59.99 value)

---- Excellent unit.

(make sure you buy a clamp --available from a hardware store-- to hold it firmly onto your table)

Ultimate ClipArt deSIGN MINI PACK 750 Designs ($59.99 value)

----This is of marginal use, honestly,  and if you just look at the examples on the USCUTTER webpage, it will indicate what's there, more or less.  http://www.uscutter.com/Ultimate-ClipArt-deSIGN-MINI-PACK

In my experience, the LIBRARY which is part of SignBlazer Elements has a decent collection of clipart that you'll be glad is available.

Two 12" x 24" magnetic sign blanks ($9.40 value)

----  Great for practice.

GAP Cutting Mat, 18" x 24", 45cm x 60cm ($12.40 value)

----  A decent size cutting mat would be 24" x 48"

X-Banner Banner Stand Square Disk Grade A, 24" x 63.5" ($11.99 value)

CLEAR - PVC Sign Blank for X-Banner Banner Stand, 24" x 63.5" ($3.99 value)

------ Kinda cool item, maybe you'll find a use for it (indoor display unit)

Two 2'x4' 10oz White Banner Blanks - Hemmed & Grommetted ($12.39 value)

-----  Excellent for practicing

Package of 5 Squeegees ($2.99 value)

-----  Can't live without 'em !!!

Slice thanks for breaking those down into real uses. I can see that some items don't match up to what you are buying into and more or less is a "starter". Definitely would need the larger transfer tape to go with a larger cutter, right?! LOL  I found this very helpful in looking at these bundles more closely, thanks!

That equals $380 shipped (with stand) for the SC.

Greenstar is a basic-quality 'house brand' for USCUTTER and in your future business endeavors, you will really have to consider going with ORACAL or 3M.

I would HIGHLY recommend a 24" (or 31" width if you have the space available*) LPII bundle to get started, for $600 delivered (from eBay as linked above)

The extra $220 for the better-quality LPII you'll spend over the SC unit (which doesn't come with the extras that the LPII bundle offers) is well worth it for a person like you, with your described ambitions and well-defined purposes.

You're welcome, it was fun to offer the detailed analysis of the bundle pack.

I'm surprised nobody has done that before!

* just remember, handling 30" rolls of vinyl will also require 30" rolls of app tape and plenty of table surface.

As SKEETER correctly points out, it's a practical size for many things, but you have to be prepared to deal with the larger material requirements it will entail ----  and note that the app roller is only 24" wide so you'll have to figure out another method to lay down the 30" app tape. But that's getting ahead of ourselves !!!

Edited by slice&dice

You guys have been wonderful helping out! I appreciate the time you all took to assist me and giving me more information so make a better informed decision. Also in better explaining the contour issue LOL The space issues can be easily resolved - I have a spare room to work in (lucky  me!)  I'll feel more confident once I jump in and start cutting, I just didn't want to throw hard earned money away on something that I would regret and turn me sour on the whole experience.

we have a pretty good group on the forum that are straight forward and speak from experience - I think better advice than from someone trying to sell you something (what do we have the most of, what do we make the most on, what will my commission be.)    on here is is pretty straight info

• Like 3

There is a few of us that run the SC model machine and will be willing to help you out if need be...

You might think a little pricey,  but these work great.  Pays for it's self fast.   I have the 24" and 30"  and can tape unlimited length...It is not connected to the table, So you still have all of your table to use.   I use a regular straight 8ft resin/plastic  banquet table.   I can do all of my taping by myself...

http://www.themaskrite.com/

http://www.themaskrite.biz/tape-applicator1.html

I posted the same question on another vinyl forum and have had no replies yet.  I admit I was leery to post here thinking a majority of the responses may be biased to USCutter being this on their site.  I wanted to be sure it was unbiased.  No one at that other site has commented yet and it's had as many views as this post.  I'm glad I was wrong too as you all have shown there has been recommendations of various brands.  I truly appreciate it.

I also see the anti-static piece may not be required for that SC. After reading more I feel comfortable making sure it's grounded and using a static spray.

Mz Skeeter I have a large banquet table too, that's perfect idea!! I have a feeling I'll have to tackle storage for vinyl too hahahaha :D