Sign in to follow this  
Kcross47601

Pre wash or not to pre wash..... That is the question

I read a lot on this and only this forum on how to get things done because of all the experience here and my loyality to US Cutter. I just got into shirts and HTV not long ago and it's been blowing up ever since word got out. It's a addiction that's for sure.  I've been ordering my shirts from Jiffy for now but with the 50/50 and 100% cotton that they offer, is it a good idea to do a pre wash and dry on them before applying HTV? If so,  What is a good method?  I pre washed some white shirts the other night and ran in the dryer and looks like they shrank.  These are the Gildien High Cotton shirts and a XL looks like a Med.  Thanks Guys and Gals,  Kris

I prewash and dry on medium. I include washing instructions for customers. I haven't tested it yet but I imagine if you apply HTV then wash and the shirt shrinks the HTV wont shrink and bind up on the edges?

I don't prewash but have had some customer supplied shirts that they washed. Much more of a PIA to get laying straight again. Also have read that some fabric softeners can effect good adhesion. I do hundreds and hundreds of shirts, not happening. Many new shirts also have a nice build crease right down the middle that I assume the manufacturer used during the sewing process and if they are still visible they save a bunch of time lining things up on the press. 

• Like 1

I would say the Jiffy. Gildan, and others sources from vendors would

not need pre-washing.....

BUT, what about customer provided shirts that are from retail type stores?

Not intended for Heat Pressing....I have heard they may have some

treatments on them to prevent wrinkling....wouldn't that be a reason

to pre-wash?

Sue2

Not pre washing would save a lot of time.  I was thinking the I saw something on here somewhere at one time that the textile plants use a chemical in the manufacturing process that needed to be rinsed out so that the HTV would adheare good.  I think I will skip the prewash till I have issues.  I think I'm going to be too busy to do it anyway.  Since word got out, I'm already busy with decals and shirts and working a full time 12hr day job. Thanks for the input!!  Kris

Not pre washing would save a lot of time.  I was thinking the I saw something on here somewhere at one time that the textile plants use a chemical in the manufacturing process that needed to be rinsed out so that the HTV would adheare good.  I think I will skip the prewash till I have issues.  I think I'm going to be too busy to do it anyway.  Since word got out, I'm already busy with decals and shirts and working a full time 12hr day job. Thanks for the input!!  Kris

I think what you may have read about was a "sizing" that retail shirts have sprayed on them to make them display well and stay flat - it has been known to interfere with some htv.  that is why most buy from wholesalers for clean untouched shirts

Maybe next time I'll do shirts without washing to see how it goes. I've always been worried about shrinkage around the design.

Maybe next time I'll do shirts without washing to see how it goes. I've always been worried about shrinkage around the design.

That can be dealt with pre-sale. 100% cotton is going to move and gain more character than the poly blends. That's part of the nature of tee's and I've never had anyone real put out over it. If they seem concerned at all or you are then explain the benefits of higher poly content which tends to shrink less and hold colors better. Cost a little more to usually so there is a bit more mark-up available. You can also push stretch vinyl as an upgrade that won't shoe the wrinkles and creases like the regular does. 

I don't prewash but have had some customer supplied shirts that they washed. Much more of a PIA to get laying straight again. Also have read that some fabric softeners can effect good adhesion. I do hundreds and hundreds of shirts, not happening. Many new shirts also have a nice build crease right down the middle that I assume the manufacturer used during the sewing process and if they are still visible they save a bunch of time lining things up on the press. yeah that crease is how we line up the shirt when its cut and sewed at american apparel. but never pre wash a shirt before you put vinyl on it.