Sign in to follow this  
Cal

Step by step cutting

Good morning.  Will the latest version 4 of SCALP do step by step cutting?

Thanks,

Cal

No one is using SCALP 4?  I tried to contact customer support on live chat, but it would time out after 1 -2 minutes.  I gave up on that after several tries and now hoping for an answer here.

Thanks

Step by step is starting at a first  section, cutting all there,  then advancing and cutting everything in  the next section, then next section,  all the way to the end of the design...

There is a "Tiles" option in Cutter settings that I think might get you what you're looking for, clhyer.

Let me know if you find it and if it's what you're looking for. 

Tiling is going to chop it up into pieces. I heard that the newer versions of Scalp were doing step-by-step. Don't have it to know where to look but that's what I have heard. SignCut Pro does it very well. If you get in need you can do a free trial for about a week. SignCut does little or no design so you still need to draw things up elsewhere but step by step will make long cuts more possible with poor tracking. You will still fight some registration issues with budget cutters if you have multiple layers though so be aware of that. 

• Like 1

Thanks folks.  I left a message with USC yesterday in live chat, perhaps they will respond today for me.

The project at hand is new pinstripe for my truck that I will have painted shortly.  There are other badging that I will be cutting out for it and I want the pinstripe color to match.

I have an SC cutter, so want to see if step by step will get me what I need on the 18' pinstripe.

As for the vinyl, I will either use 651 if it goes under the clear coat, or 751 if it goes on top.  I am hoping for it to go on under the clear coat but need to talk with the body shop about it.

And thanks Goose, I had done some research on the forums here and came up with this plan of attack.  You had also earlier reported on the SignCut Pro trial, and I will go this route if SCALP 4 doesn't come through.

Cal

For help with SCALP you will have to go to their website at Craft Edge. USCutter just bundles it with their cutters but probably won't give you a whole lot of tech help besides getting it hooked up. They probably just call it something else if it's there at all. 

• Like 1

Thanks again Goose.  I left a message at CraftEdge this morning.  I will report whatever the results are.  In the meantime I ordered a roll of 751 today also.

Cal

I don't see it listed in the SCALP 4 description so I bet it doesn't do it. I thought I had heard they got that in an upgrade but if might have just been tiling. 

Well... USC has responded to my inquiry...

In reply to your inquiry " SCALP":

I'm not familiar with this type of cutting. It will let you import or tace an image and then send the cut to the cutter. If you trace a color image it will cut each individual color layer separately.

Best Regards,

Still no word from Craft Edge yet.  The 751 is supposed to be here today.  I would like to cut this project over the weekend so it is definitely looking like a trial week from Sign Cut Pro is in order.

Cal

Update.  I haven't yet heard anything from Craft Edge.  Not very good customer service on their part.

I downloaded a trial version of SignCut Pro and run into a problem installing.  I contacted SCP through their web chat and had an email answer within an hour! Kudos to SignCut!  If I can determine a long term need for this program, it will be the company I go with.

I was able to cut 19' long pinstripes using step by step cutting.  One glitch;  it took me two tries but I have them cut and ready for the paint shop.

Thank you Wild Goose, and also Mz Skeeter - you didn't know it but you provided answers to others that provided me the "how-to" as I was researching the process.

Cal

• Like 1

Back when I bought my first cutter (Creation P-Cut) they came with a free year subscription to SignCut Pro. I ran it and got used to it and then my year ran out. I subscribed for quite a while and then SCALP came out and I bought in for $50 on their sorta-beta sale hoping that it would be a good program and I could stop my subscription to SC. Well needless to say after a very long time waiting for them to get the program running correctly and never coming through with some of the upgrades they said they would do I went back to SC. I ended up selling off my P-Cut shortly after getting my Summa and misplaced my copy of SCALP at that time (because you can't legally sell it you know.) I tried out the options for my Summa that were available and since I already design in AI I was really just looking for a cutting utility and the SignCut program was similarly priced as either option for the Summa and I liked it better. With the Summa I had the option to go with MacSign for the mac or Winplot for windows but they didn't have anything that would do both (There is actually a free version of both that only cuts but all the good stuff like tiling requires an upgrade so in actuality I still have those base programs). I wanted a total program that would run on either platform so I stuck with SignCut but at that time the D75R cutters were just out so they didn't have the right drivers. Those guys went WAY WAY above the call of duty and built drivers for me specifically (now available for all) and got me running and I have been thanking them by making sure they get mentioned whenever I get the chance. Summa evidently goes about things differently than the rest of the cutting world because to get it to work properly they actually purchased a machine to work with at their facility. After they did that they got it all figured out for me pretty quick. I eventually just bought the dongle so I own the program. Have to have a dongle if you want to switch back and forth from one or more computers. They only allow 5 transfers from computer to computer when on subscription, they will allow more but you have to start getting permission after 5 so midnight on a weekend when you computer crashes and you need to swap machines it is best to just have the dongle and it's just plug and play on however many machines you want.