mazi

651 won't weed small objects. Read the forum & set blades correctly! Please help us!

We purchased the Graphtec CE-6000 a few weeks ago. Read the manual front to back and read the forums the same! Set the blade depth twice now according to Mz Skeeters posts! Through our experience prior to having this cutter we knew the different colors of our Oracal 651 varied in thickness and have tried adjusting the pressure as we change the colors but something just isnt working correctly when we cut smaller images...

The biggest issue right now is when we cut logo and text about 1/2" -1.0" tall. It simply won't weed and stays stuck to the sheet vinyl we are pulling up. We would appreciate any and all help!

Katrina & Zac

...My niche' is detailed designs.  And I have no problem weeding  small designs of 651...or even cutting Avery chrome at 1/4" 

Many people have posted very small detailed design using 651...No problems.  I don't change anything for different colors. You don't need to.

Several detailed designs here

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/42357-lease-vs-purchase/page-3?

Have you added a little over cut to your cutting software.? Try it. 

Also,  you are weeding the vinyl right away , correct?  If not, it will self heal it's self back together.  Never cut more than you can weed soon.

• Like 1

Don't want to start an argument over 651 thickness but we've been hand cutting a specific shape in 14 colors of 651 for 6 months and the gold and silver are definitely the thinnest of the colors. Our red and yellow are the oldest and came in the widest rolls and are some of the thickest. Maybe it's a difference of firmness not thickness but everything has a tolerance in manufacturing. The gold and silver have more opacity too. I never imagined or thought it necessary to change the pressure based on this but wanted to throw it out there that we have tried that. A bit overboard sorry!

Mz Skeeter - We do weed the designs right away and I did a quick search for over cut..Does this have to do with the offset?

Once again..  I have cut Oracal 651 for years, and have NEVER had to change anything for different colors. , I also use the same settings for General Formulations vinyl and many different colors.  and no changes...Over cut is in most cutting software,  You don't state what you are using for cutting software.  It just cuts a little bit further, to make ends meet.

You do have a TEST feature on your vinyl cutter, to use before cutting any design...The square and triangle on mine shows it can cut good depth and clean cut. .and that the blade offset is correct.  And blade offset on a Graphtec is ZERO.

You don't state what speed you are using, but with small text I run a slower speed.

How do you measure your force, hand cutting?

• Like 1

Sorry, using the Graphtec Studio right now and we have done the test a few times to ensure the cut depth is set correctly. It is in simple mode so the offest adjustments are not something we have adjusted on the machine nor in the software.

I keep thinking it's a pressure / blade issue..Both of these we cut a lot of. Have had the least problems with the green one but here is a good picture of what they do. The silver logo has been the worst. Are our expectations too high in thinking we can peel the vinyl off of these fairly easy without having to hold down letters and shapes?

http://oi61.tinypic.com/2noyz4.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/2zowxzd.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/30arpq8.jpg

Have you heard of weed lines?  I use weed lines on small text.in my cutting software and  .. I also use an exacto knife between my pieces....Lifting up big areas like that will be a problem.....Weeding takes patience.

Weed line settings  are described starting on page 72 in your Graphtec Studio user manual.

Small detailed designs like that don't have a lot of adhesive holding them...

Looks like you need to set your blade depth slightly deeper.

It's barely through the vinyl and shows no evidence of scoring on the backing.

post-43059-0-56829600-1424668363_thumb.j

• Like 2

Is your blade dull? did you try a fresh blade? if the blade is good, in the second picture you posted, it looks to me like you might need to have the blade sticking out just a little further.

I really appreciate the help so far everyone!

That green sheet was probably the worst yet. I must be keeping the blade too short because it seems like on big designs it scores and cuts clean but when we do the smaller cuts like this it varies color to color as to how well it cuts and scores the backing.

-The blade is new as of the past few weeks with the machine and I would imagine our usage to be very minimal so far. I didn't run it without following the height adjustments in the forum from Mz Skeeter but there is a big possibility I am being too cautious. Not sure what the life expectancy of a blade is either though.

I will definitely read up on the weed line settings and make adjustments to the blade first thing tomorrow!

Weed boxes help a lot. I uses weed boxes around pretty much everything. Makes everything easier especially if I have a stack of decals I am weeding.

Just a hair deeper and yes there are variation in thickness based on color as well as the relative softness of the vinyl. Pink is softer than say silver or gold.

• Like 2

I usually get about 9 months out of my blades.  Just regular blades bought on Ebay...I only cut sign vinyl and a little chrome...

For me 651 is probably some of the easiest weeding vinyl due in part to the slightly rigid quality. There is more likely problems getting it up off the carrier if you don't use a good high tack paper than anything else. I would guess like the others here that you are possibly lacking a little pressure and may have went overboard on the blade depth and have it a touch too far in. You really shouldn't have the blade holder actually dragging across the top of the vinyl just barely up. I look from down at blade level and use a flashlight to be sure I can see just a touch of light showing between the two while it's cutting. 

You are all so awesome and we greatly appreciate all of the help!

-Weed lines are amazing. Especially with the rows of small logos and graphics

-We increased the depth slightly more than we were previously comfortable with and the cuts have been awesome ever since

If you've got the Cadillac of cutters, you deserve the Cadillac of blades to go along with it.  Check out CleanCut Blades and consider investing in one of their 60° Graphtec blades - it's the only type of blade I use and it makes an amazing difference on small, fine details.

Remember, your cutter only moves the vinyl around and moves the blade holder up and down - it's the blade itself that does the actual cutting, and it's silly to drop $1500 on a vinyl mover and try to get by on anything less than the best blades - and they aren't that expensive.  I can get nearly a year's use out of one of their blades.

I use the CleanCut 60° blades for EVERYTHING - big, small, thick, thin, etc.  I have two blade holders, one for normal vinyl and one for thicker materials - I swap them out and change pressure settings and I'm good to go - both holders have 60° blades.

http://cleancutblade.mybigcommerce.com/graphtec-cb09u-60/

• Like 3