PhaedrusZen

New Graphtec 6000-60; having trouble setting it up...

I'm just switching over from a Titan 2, which was minimal on menus and options, but which worked well until it crapped out on me in the middle of an 80+ order deal. USCutter took care of me and helped me get into a Graphtec 6000-60, but having gone from a minimalist plug-and-play machine like the Titan to this Graphtec is making my head spin. I've finally got it connected to my laptop and cutting, and have even figured out how to set the cutting area to outside of the pinch rollers, so I'm trying to do my homework, but I'm having scale issues where I don't think I should be. 

I'm using SCALP 3 (I have access to SCALP 4 as well, but am sticking with 3 for the time being.) I need to stay with this software due to the people I work for/with needing to be able to exchange files with me on a regular basis. When I cut files currently, I'm getting a 50% reduction in size, which has me confused since I've left the scale setting to the default "1". If i create a box 1" wide and 22" long (cutting from end to end on the vinyl roll), it ends up being cut 1/2" wide and only 12" long.  I realize the easy fix would be to simply increase the scale to 2 to get to the full width of the original design, but I'd rather not just patch over the problem as opposed to understanding why the problem is occuring and how to correct it, not just fix it for the time being. I've got a ton of other questions too, and I'll keep reading manuals and old forum posts for answers, but any help is greatly appreciated! 

Cheers! 

I've tried both HPGL and GPGL, switched through SCALP's interface, although that's another question I have... couldn't find anything explaining what exactly those settings do and how they differ...

***Edit***

Did a little research and found it's "Graphtec vs Hewlett Packard" language differences, or something like that. The cutter itself is set to auto, so I'm assuming it would switch to the most appropriate setting depending on the software's needs. 

GPGL is Graphtec language and is only used with their Graphtec software  Cutting Master   HPGL is Hewlett Packard language and is used for other software like Flexi, Scalp etc

Doesn't Scalp have a place to check software against actual size of output?  I forget what it is called.  In Signblazer it is called cutting size correction

• Like 2

Also curious is there is an easy way to switch between wsywyg cutting and origin point cutting on the Graphtec. The options are different in SCALP now, and where the Titan 2 had a simple drop-down for wsywyg (i.e. the decal was cut exactly how it was laid out in the program vs origin point, where it takes all the graphics and starts cutting from the bottom right corner of the vinyl regardless of how it's laid out in the program. I see a way to change where the origin point on the cutter itself, as well as in the controller software, but it still cuts the decal in relationship to where it lays in the software, and doesn't start as far to the bottom right as possible. 

I didn't see any mention of something like this in the manual, and so I'm not sure if it's even possible.

Ended up giving USCutter tech support a call. They had me change a couple settings on the machine, which I matched in SCALP. (I don't think there is any way I would have known to change these from the default otherwise...) 

I left the Command language on the cutter @ Auto, but switched to GP-GL on SCALP

I switched the step size on the software and cutter to 1016.  

*** I think that "step size" is equivalent to the "cutting size correction" Skeeter was referring to. ***

Now that those changes are done, I'm good to go. Still trying to see if there's a way to have the design automatically cut at the origin point, regardless of how it's laid out in the software (that was a very convenient feature with the Titan 2), but otherwise I'll just have to get used to laying it out exactly how I want to have it cut. (First World problems...)

Cheers! 

Yes, my step size in Flexistarter  is 1016   But GP-GL is Graphtec Language for Cutting Master and Graphtec software.   HP-GL is for other soft wares.  Like Signblazer, Flexi etc

Does GP-GL work right?

Yeah, seems to work alright. In the SCALP software, both GP-GL & HP-GL are listed in the default drop-down menu, so I assume it works with both. I might try cutting in HP-GL with the corrected step-size and see if there is any difference. 

I'm still trying to get the kinks worked out for being able to cut the full 24 inches of width. I have many designs that come darn close to that, and need to be able to maximize the range. I'm tempted to turn off the roller sensor setting, and think that as long as I manually set the origin point before cutting, I should be good. Thoughts? 

Haha, nice. =) 

Is there a way to change what the cutter does after it finishes a cut? I've got two options on the menu (View or Home), but I'd love to have it automatically feed a certain amount of vinyl out after it finishes so I can cut it off and start the next piece without having to manually advance the last decal first. 

Haha, nice. =) 

Is there a way to change what the cutter does after it finishes a cut? I've got two options on the menu (View or Home), but I'd love to have it automatically feed a certain amount of vinyl out after it finishes so I can cut it off and start the next piece without having to manually advance the last decal first. 

That all depends on the software.  It would be under something like Advance after cut...

SCALP showed that option when I had the Titan plugged in, but has a completely different set of options with the Graphtec. Sounds like I might be SOL, unless they add the feature later. Does that mean you have an "advance" option in your software? I'd try the software my cutter came with, but I'm working with a few other people who all know and use SCALP, and have no interest, inclination or ability to learn additional software, or even to figure out how to save files as .svg's for sharing, as opposed to proprietary .scut3 files... =/ 

Ok  You have  Graphtec cutting controller..  Do you have it downloaded and using?  It is interactive from your computer...and has arrows to control your cutter,   You could advance the vinyl with the arrows from your computer...and even hit origin again from your computer.  It runs on condition 9.  That is all I use... I change everything from there...Speed , force,

I've got the cutting controller and need to get used to putting it to work.

Just re-downloaded SCALP 4 (got a new laptop in the midst of switching cutters), and it at least has an origin point vs wyswyg setting for where I want the design to cut on the vinyl. That will save me time during the layout process. Also gives me hope that they'll add the advance-after-cut feature down the road. =)

I tuned my media sensor and roller sensor off day 1, 2008......

When I get a sec I will be researching this for sure.... those 2 things drive me NUTS!  Never thought to check and see if there was an option to turn those off.

It's in the menu settings

Pause/Menu: "ADV" or Advance (the down arrow): then option 4 on page 1 (roller sensor), and option 1 on page 2 (media sensor)

Right now, I'm hitting "view" after the decal finishes which auto advances the vinyl to a certain point, but still have to manually advance it to clear the decal completely before cutting. Annoying after being spoiled on the Titan, but still happy overall with my Graphtec so far. Just working out the bugs, one by one. 

LOL, I just started clicking through menu before grabbing the manual and found it under background settings..... thanks for throwing that out so quick!

LOL, I just started clicking through menu before grabbing the manual and found it under background settings..... thanks for throwing that out so quick!

your welcome.. ;D

Right now, I'm hitting "view" after the decal finishes which auto advances the vinyl to a certain point, but still have to manually advance it to clear the decal completely before cutting. Annoying after being spoiled on the Titan, but still happy overall with my Graphtec so far. Just working out the bugs, one by one. 

Just remember to be annoyed at the software, not the cutter. That is a software issue and why I stopped cutting with scalp3 and bought flexi starter. Several functions including polling material size were not available in scalp3, at least when I changed out but now I've changed again to vinyl master in an attempt to do it all in 1 program like I used to with signblazer back in the day.

• Like 2

Just remember to be annoyed at the software, not the cutter. That is a software issue and why I stopped cutting with scalp3 and bought flexi starter. Several functions including polling material size were not available in scalp3, at least when I changed out but now I've changed again to vinyl master in an attempt to do it all in 1 program like I used to with signblazer back in the day.

Good to keep in mind. I do think it's weird that the advance-after-cut feature was available for my Titan 2 with SCALP, but not for my Graphtec. I'd think they'd make a software feature available for all cutters across the board, as long as the cutters themselves are capable of the function. 

I'd love to try out different cutting softwares, but am stuck with SCALP due to needing to be able to share files with co-workers. =/

Scalp was promoted by uscutter for use with their cutters and it reflects when you see all the features disappear with other machines.