Sign in to follow this  
oneeyedjack

Need a little help with Cobra ink setup

Hey,

Pretty stoked as I just received my cobra sub inks for Epson WF-7620. Have all the profiles installed, they are the same as for the 7110. So not quite sure on which profile to use, the alum plate plain paper or premium paper matte. So is the alum plate profiles used for all hard substrates like aluminum, creamic, glass etc. Have been using the Ricoh 7000 with Conde profile for last 4 years and first time with the epson so things are different. What is the best paper to use, I am in Canada and usually use True pix which I believe is the same paper as Conde's multi purpose paper paper. Any advice on subbing with the epson would be great. Really got to love how much money a guy saves not using Sargrass inks, bought the printer and cobra cartridges and inks for quite a bit less than what it was going to cost to replace a set of ricoh inks for the ricoh 7000.

Thanks

The paper wont make that much difference.  I have used Tex Print, QR Paper Conde Paper Coastal Paper Image Right Paper and I couldn't tell the difference with any of them ...

I use a 7620 too and the profiles are as you say.  If you are having difficulties with things you might call and talk to Richard at Cobra, He will set you straight but there are videos to watch that pretty well explain what the names of each profile indicate for their use. 

Yeah I have the profiles installed. There are 2 alum plate, one with plain paper the other with premium matte and the same for the 2 polyester cloth profiles and then 1 sublidecal profile. Watched the profile setup video. Just not to sure which alum plate profile is for what type of substrates. Wildgoose which profile do you use/prefer  for the 7620 or do you use both alum plate profiles but for different substrates.. Thanks for the link mr300s.

I use the premium matt paper profile but I know that dumps more ink into the print. Definitely a must on polyester. I have only sublimated two test aluminum tags. I think I used the pre matt on those too. Ha ha! I can't even remember for sure. This is kind of the blind leading the blind if you are asking for my help. The biggest advantage I might have in helping is I just barely set mine up a couple weeks ago so it's fairly fresh in my mind. 

So I guess I just use one of the alum plate profiles for all substrates.  We never do sub apparel so not worried about that. Did a few 5" x 7" dynasub plaque plates. Did 2 of them on the alum plate premium matte profile, one on text print-r left from the ricoh and one on trupix paper and came out pretty much the same, maybe a little darker blacks on the textprint paper. Then did one with textprint paper with the plain paper profile and it came out  with a blacker black but other colors aseemed  a lot darker to the point of not looking right, bluey grey looking more grey black type of thing. All three had that sort of mottled surface to them, not a nice glossy shine which I know people get on softer coated metals but never had it as bad with the ricoh. 385 degrees 40 secs transfer face up, fairly light pressure. All in all not to bad for first attempts.

I really dont think you will see a big difference.  Also the prints done with high temp ink always take on a faded look until they are pressed ...

Richard is a great guy always buy the items to build my own CIS set up I save a lot on pricing and buy my ink from some other place Jaybird knows the ink I use. Anyway so far I haven't had to change my ICC profile from the printers OEM ICC its amazing. But to get to the post just one place I would say stay away from Royal Paper it has a tendency to stick. I mainly use coastals image right paper never gave me issues or bad prints.

• Like 1

I used Plain Paper Cobra profile on this...Cam out pretty good considering the "NAP" involved.  400 deg at 45 sec. 

Epson 7610 and Conde all around paper...works like a charm

post-88484-0-47885300-1424698106_thumb.j

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Lablover do you use one profile for everything. Did a bunch of 5"x7 " white dynasub plates on Sunday and I think the one that had all colors looking the best was poly cloth plain paper high quality profile.

Thanks guys. Lablover do you use one profile for everything. Did a bunch of 5"x7 " white dynasub plates on Sunday and I think the one that had all colors looking the best was poly cloth plain paper high quality profile.

So far for all my Cloth type stuff I use the same profile.  For Alum I use the Alum plain paper profile

So far for all my Cloth type stuff I use the same profile.  For Alum I use the Alum plain paper profile

Same here - I use the Polyester Cloth template for all fabric things (t-shirts, wristbands, mousepads, etc.) and the Aluminum Plate profile for all hard surface items (tiles, cake pans, dog tags, pet tags, etc.) whether they're actually aluminum or not.

this answered my question. I wasnt' sure if i had to select a profile or not. I did not on the cup i posted in another thread so next time i will and see if there is a diffe. Thanks for asking the question.