Sign in to follow this  
Country Junkee

4'x8' Signs by the road

Any suggestions on what material to use for this...I will be putting vinyl letters on it I guess unless anyone else has any suggestions...customer is wanting something that will stand the weather...it is going to be 2 of the 4'x8' signs like a V on the side of the road...

I just did about 40 of these.  I use the aluminum stuff called bebond from a local company out of Dallas.  Their core did not have any flutes, it was solid to make it firmer.  I get  the one sided ones for 35 bucks (delivered).  I suppose you will just have to look for a sign supplier close to you and give them a call and see if they carry them.

Any local sign supply place will open an account for you as a sign maker, and most of them will deliver to your door.

DiBond (also known as MaxMetal) is a good product, but not as solid as Alumacore, which is essentially non-flexible.

For 4x8 sheets that are stretched across an open space (post-to-post) it's possible to use DiBond although it tends to flex in high winds, since it's just a plastic sheet with aluminum laminate, whereas Alumacore has a rigid internal structure and it holds up like plywood, but is much lighter weight.

• Like 1

Only drawback is it's 2-3 times the price as max metal aka dibond, cbond, bebond etc...

IF these are semi-permanent like a property for sale/lease type application I use signboard which is marine grade plywood and lasts for quite a while. I use clear silicone or a combination of that and plastic edging depending on the customers wants. The 1/2" product is available with a white painted surface the 3/4" is just primed here at my local supplier. 1/2" usually gets the job done but I run a 2x4 across the back if possible to help keep it from wanting to bend over time.