eddieb378

Vector magic

Have any of you out there ever used vector magic? Vectorizing is my biggest down fall and some times clients bring me stuff that is way out of my league but only wants one shirt or what ever so it's not worth paying some one to redraw for me! I was just looking for info from some one that has used this to see what your thoughts are on the program

With proper image prep , Inkscape's vectoring engine works as good as most.

...and it's free.

I agree with skarekrow.  I have tried Vector Magic and many others.

Vector Magic, Illustrator, Inkscape, CorelDraw, and many others all have similar auto-tracing/vectorizing results.  There is not a great deal of difference in the end result.

There can be a great deal done with adjusting the settings to improve results.  There can be things done to the image before the trace is attempted to improve results like color manipulation, brightness-contrast correction, blurring/feathering and others.

But in the end there is only so far auto tracing can go.  After that it is manual recreation of artwork by hand.

• Like 1

From what I've heard, SCALpro has a good vector engine.

SignBlazer, not so much!

I have tried all I have corel VMP signblazer Inkscape and scalp and every one of them has there plus and minus about them

VinylMaster is Top Shelf for Vectoring, and depending on the exact type of node editing I'm trying to accomplish, it's  pretty hard

to beat the flexibility it offers. Inkscape is very quick for it's simplicity in node editing.

Illustrator seem the least intuitive... Why they didn't incorporate the same shortcuts and

keystrokes as they put in Photoshop is beyond me.

Again, just depends on what I'm trying to accomplish as to what tool I grab.

You can usually save lots of time doing prep work in raster... if you have the skills.

• Like 1

Tracing is the only good thing I have found in SCALP Pro. (Maybe the rhinestones too) For cleanup, I like using SignBlazer's Node Editing.

• Like 1

Vector Magic used to be free online. Then they moved to a "Credit" based fee system.

VinylMaster is Top Shelf for Vectoring, and depending on the exact type of node editing I'm trying to accomplish, it's  pretty hard

to beat the flexibility it offers. Inkscape is very quick for it's simplicity in node editing.

Illustrator seem the least intuitive... Why they didn't incorporate the same shortcuts and

keystrokes as they put in Photoshop is beyond me.

Again, just depends on what I'm trying to accomplish as to what tool I grab.

You can usually save lots of time doing many things in raster... if you have the skills.

Your ending comment says it all. You DO need to be able to manipulate things in PS to get the results that you (Skarekrow) turn out so quickly. I know it's just what you get used to because I really have no issues with the node editing in AI. Never been a real big fan of auto tracing and usually like to point that out. If it's something silly then whatever but if it's client based I make double sure my work is clean and usually spend almost as much time cleaning up an auto trace as I could have just drawn it out.

Eddie, what program do you use for design? Hand tracing is tough to make pay if you are just busting out one or two shirts. I still usually do it unless it's just way too much work because I try to build a client base and if they come back I am a step ahead. 

• Like 1

Jay wich version of sb do you have the one I got is giving me all sorts of trouble

SBE V. 6

http://support.uscutter.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/GetAttachment/190/24198

It isn't terrific for tracing (vectorizing) but on the plus side, it's a snap to go in and edit the resulting nodes and fix the things that need tweaking.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="slice&dice" data-cid="386133" data-time="1424385313"><p><br />

SBE V. 6<br /><br />

<a href='<a href='http://support.uscutter.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/GetAttachment/190/24198'>http://support.uscutter.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/GetAttachment/190/24198</a>'><a href='http://support.uscutter.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/GetAttachment/190/24198'>http://support.uscutter.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/GetAttachment/190/24198</a></a><br /><br />

<br /><br />

It isn't terrific for tracing (vectorizing) but on the plus side, it's a snap to go in and edit the resulting nodes and fix the things that need tweaking.</p> I have signblazer now but it seams to be screwing up a lot more but like you said for node editing it is easy! I was just trying to see wich download Jay had because I think there is more than one

Jack of all trades master of none? LOL! I would suggest picking your fav and get really good with it, then start blending in the other programs to utilize their strong points. I don't have any practical experience with any of the three. I tried out Corel but am an AI guy and they are 180 degree different in work process evidently because I was mostly frustrated and decided I didn't want to spend the time to learn another program that was basically the same as my own. But different.

For me corel was tops for node editing but I have been putting serious seat time in learning vinylmaster's node editing. As far as trace goes scalp beats the others 9 out of 10 time but the more I do this the more I have learned that recreating art comes out better as long as the time is in the budget.

• Like 1

Lots of people can output graphics that suck at drawing, (coughs.)  The tools were in some sense made to negate the need for drawing and to construct.

That said, if your going to be in this realm, learning a bezier tool is worth every second.  With a bezier tool, (called pen tool sometimes,) you can load your raster image, lock it place, and use the bezier tool to outline over top.  The tool is a great deal like connecting the dots.  After you dot your outline, you adjust the curvature.

It is awkward at first but rapidly becomes easier.  

• Like 2

dc is right on the money. I can't draw freehand to save my life but tracing over something is relatively easy. I do same as him excepting that I like to reduce the opacity of the pic to about 50% which is till very visible but lets you see what you are doing a little better. I also trace with no fill or stoke and color it in later. 

I own Vector Magic and use it on almost a daily basis.  I like it because I don't have to tweak any settings, just let it do it's thing.

IfI'm in corel I use wire frame so my pic is less opaque. In vinyl master I tend to make my image more grayscale to work see easier.

Jay wich version of sb do you have the one I got is giving me all sorts of trouble

I have Elements, the "All Cutter Version" downloaded from here.

i use Vector Magic  then tweek the results ( border etc ) in inkscape

for me VM is great I love it  

ill be paying for the full version ( rather than monthly payments ) soon 

I use vector magic as well and i like it . I also have have AI and haven't even checked to see how to trace an image in it yet lol so im not sure if VM is better than Ai or not.. Maybe someone can give a pointer or two or tell me where to go for a tutorial if needed.... But so far VM gas worked flawless for me.But it does depend on the quality of the image as well...If i need to tweak anything i jump into ai and fix what needs to be done..